Automotive

Glasses damaged at dealership, they offered deal on replacement buy insurance should cover...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2019 6:01 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2018
94 posts
25 upvotes

Glasses damaged at dealership, they offered deal on replacement buy insurance should cover...

I guess I made it too complicated.

A Honda dealership, scratched my rear windshield and hatch when replacing a chrome trim piece. They also cracked front windshield when washing my car, but I cannot proof there wasn’t a chip before visiting the dealership.

They offered a deal to me to compensate all the damages, so I can have a new front windshield installed for $600. The parts alone would cost $950 normally.

Now that I found out my insurance would cover windshield with $500 deductible. Taking the deal means I’m getting the insurance a good deal and I’m paying the same deductible.

I’m thinking maybe I can ask the dealership to cover the deductible, and forget about the $600 offer.
Last edited by LeoL62707 on Jul 23rd, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25041 posts
4241 upvotes
If they are going to fix it, then let them. Who cares how much it costs them. As long as it's fixed properly
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15110 posts
16088 upvotes
Oakville
LeoL62707 wrote: Dealership offered $600 front windshield replacement for my gfs car which normally would cost $1000+( the oem parts alone was $950) after they scratched and cracked my front and rear windshield for some cosmetic warranty work. ( font during washing and rear during prying old chrome piece off)

The thing is, my insurance company seems cover windshield with a deductible. Which means if I took the offer straight, I would be paying the same $250 deductible and save the insurance company couple hundreds.

I Normally work on my own car and we don’t need anything from the dealership yet.

I’m thinking may be they can give me a cash reimbursement and then I will go thru insurance to replace the glass. Will this be ok?

Otherwise I’m thinking may be let them to pay my deductible to replace the front, then treat the scratches on the rear as another incident, for reimbursement.

Still, I guess the deal will be lots of worse, given the their offer is based on their reduced internal cost, not paying out of pocket.
If they broke it, they should fix it for free.
Dec 7, 2011
731 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
LeoL62707 wrote: Dealership offered $600 front windshield replacement for my gfs car which normally would cost $1000+( the oem parts alone was $950) after they scratched and cracked my front and rear windshield for some cosmetic warranty work. ( font during washing and rear during prying old chrome piece off)

The thing is, my insurance company seems cover windshield with a deductible. Which means if I took the offer straight, I would be paying the same $250 deductible and save the insurance company couple hundreds.

I Normally work on my own car and we don’t need anything from the dealership yet.

I’m thinking may be they can give me a cash reimbursement and then I will go thru insurance to replace the glass. Will this be ok?

Otherwise I’m thinking may be let them to pay my deductible to replace the front, then treat the scratches on the rear as another incident, for reimbursement.

Still, I guess the deal will be lots of worse, given the their offer is based on their reduced internal cost, not paying out of pocket.
Maybe I'm not understanding the situation correctly but if they damaged both glasses, they should be picking up the tab and not your insurance company. Sounds like they're trying to pull a fast one on you
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2753 posts
2350 upvotes
Richmond Hill
They broke it, they fix it. Is their problem to fix
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2753 posts
2350 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What brand is it?
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2753 posts
2350 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it go.
How could they even able to say give you a DEAL to fix something that they damage.
This is just ridiculously crazy.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3681 posts
2513 upvotes
GTA
OP just wait till you are sober. They damaged glass, but you are getting good deal? On what? Honda technicians don't work on windshields- they would crack 10 before getting 1 in. Dealer calls good guys who specialize in glass replacements (like widely recommended here Merlin from Auto Glass Worx) and they do the job. So you pay $600, dealer pays the guy $250 and pockets $350 . This is what you call a "good deal".