Home & Garden

Glideware - pots and pans organization

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2016 3:23 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Glideware - pots and pans organization

Does anybody use Glideware and their products to organize pots and pans?
http://glideware.com/

Image

What are your experiences?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1679 posts
694 upvotes
That's slick!

I don't have that, but I did buy some Rev-A-Shelf sliding shelf organizers from Lowes to put into my bottom cabinets. The builder's offering was, shall we say, sparse. I have also looked into DIY gliding shelves from http://www.diyshelfworks.ca/.

Ultimately what I've done is a combination of the Rev-A-Shelf products and IKEA. Turns out my local IKEA is always overflowing with MAXIMERA drawers in the AS-IS department, for as low as $8. I bought a bunch of those and installed them myself.

If you're handy, it would not be difficult to turn IKEA parts, or parts from Home Depot, Lee Valley, etc. into a pot rail like you've pictured.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill
GreyingJay wrote: That's slick!

I don't have that, but I did buy some Rev-A-Shelf sliding shelf organizers from Lowes to put into my bottom cabinets. The builder's offering was, shall we say, sparse. I have also looked into DIY gliding shelves from http://www.diyshelfworks.ca/.

Ultimately what I've done is a combination of the Rev-A-Shelf products and IKEA. Turns out my local IKEA is always overflowing with MAXIMERA drawers in the AS-IS department, for as low as $8. I bought a bunch of those and installed them myself.

If you're handy, it would not be difficult to turn IKEA parts, or parts from Home Depot, Lee Valley, etc. into a pot rail like you've pictured.
Hmm, that's an idea. Maybe I can craft something.

I also saw some other setups such as using a closet rod with hooks (which would work better if you don't need the rack to slide out). Might try this first...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1679 posts
694 upvotes
My only concern with some of these pot racks is how much space they take up. I can cram at least twice as many pots into the same space if I stack them into each other rather than let them hang one by one. I don't have a ton of kitchen cabinet space. If I have to choose between utility and looks, I'm going to have to go with utility.
Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2009
757 posts
404 upvotes
GTA
If you're looking to make existings cupboards function more usefully, I think that looks like an amazing idea.

If you're redoing an entire kitchen, I cannot say enough about pot drawers. I have all my pots and pans in top drawers because I use them so much and I love not having to bend and stretch for them anymore than necessary (I have some health issues that mean I need to make cooking as easy as possible and I wish I'd changed to drawers from cupboards years ago. Even for small appliances which I put in bottom drawers, it's still simply bending rather than stretching and reaching. Amazing how such a small change can make such a big difference and even though I lost a bit of space to accommodate a larger fridge, I ended up with much better organized space and more usable space.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill
GreyingJay wrote: My only concern with some of these pot racks is how much space they take up. I can cram at least twice as many pots into the same space if I stack them into each other rather than let them hang one by one. I don't have a ton of kitchen cabinet space. If I have to choose between utility and looks, I'm going to have to go with utility.
Problem I have with stack them on top of one another is that in order to get to the larger ones I have to remove everything on top of it. And same thing with putting them away. Really annoying.

Add to the fact that it's easier to scratch the surfaces.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jrbb0309 wrote: If you're looking to make existings cupboards function more usefully, I think that looks like an amazing idea.

If you're redoing an entire kitchen, I cannot say enough about pot drawers. I have all my pots and pans in top drawers because I use them so much and I love not having to bend and stretch for them anymore than necessary (I have some health issues that mean I need to make cooking as easy as possible and I wish I'd changed to drawers from cupboards years ago. Even for small appliances which I put in bottom drawers, it's still simply bending rather than stretching and reaching. Amazing how such a small change can make such a big difference and even though I lost a bit of space to accommodate a larger fridge, I ended up with much better organized space and more usable space.
Can you list an example? Link? We're redoing our kitchen, and am looking at options.

Thx.
Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2009
757 posts
404 upvotes
GTA
enwhyRFD wrote: Can you list an example? Link? We're redoing our kitchen, and am looking at options.

Thx.
I don't have a photo of mine open but they're similar to this in terms of what they hold: http://www.buildinganewhome.com.au/wp-c ... h-lids.jpg

We went from all cupboards on the lowers to mostly pot drawers except for one cupboard which stayed a cupboard but got divided with a shelf so we could store cutting boards and baking sheets there and our corner cabinet which got a huge stainless lazy susan (I originally hated the idea because I've never had good experiences with lazy susans but this one is amazing - it holds /everything/, nothing falls off, etc): http://cloud.myknobs.com/hrmlsk28prem-zoom.jpg - we also have a stainless steel pull-out spice rack which I love - and our pot drawers are able to take 125+ lbs

Our renos are here (fairly small condo kitchen): http://imgur.com/a/IIS1E#0
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jrbb0309 wrote: I don't have a photo of mine open but they're similar to this in terms of what they hold: http://www.buildinganewhome.com.au/wp-c ... h-lids.jpg

We went from all cupboards on the lowers to mostly pot drawers except for one cupboard which stayed a cupboard but got divided with a shelf so we could store cutting boards and baking sheets there and our corner cabinet which got a huge stainless lazy susan (I originally hated the idea because I've never had good experiences with lazy susans but this one is amazing - it holds /everything/, nothing falls off, etc): http://cloud.myknobs.com/hrmlsk28prem-zoom.jpg - we also have a stainless steel pull-out spice rack which I love - and our pot drawers are able to take 125+ lbs

Our renos are here (fairly small condo kitchen): http://imgur.com/a/IIS1E#0
We have similar pot drawers that you linked:
Image

However, we find that we're stacking our pots and pans with this setup and are looking for alternatives to increase storage. Instead of having 6 pots, we're trying to fit more than 10 pots.
Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2009
757 posts
404 upvotes
GTA
enwhyRFD wrote: We have similar pot drawers that you linked:
Image

However, we find that we're stacking our pots and pans with this setup and are looking for alternatives to increase storage. Instead of having 6 pots, we're trying to fit more than 10 pots.
I can understand that. I decluttered like crazy when we did the renos and made sure that every single thing in my kitchen had to justify its being there so I'm down to the only the pots and pan and appliances I use on a weekly basis (I usually cook 6 out of 7 dinners from scratch). I have a few things stacked with these between them: http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/harman- ... of-2-black - got them when they were sale.

There are some really good ideas on Houzz: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/18514454 ... s-and-pans

Or what about this sort of thing: http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/ ... ete/21.jpg - if you have the room that would be amazing
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jrbb0309 wrote: There are some really good ideas on Houzz: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/18514454 ... s-and-pans
We saw this before as well. We didn't like the look of having pots and pans out in the open hanging from the walls.
jrbb0309 wrote: Or what about this sort of thing: http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/ ... ete/21.jpg - if you have the room that would be amazing
This looks like the Glideware stuff, just doesn't pull out.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
917 upvotes
Windsor
enwhyRFD wrote: Does anybody use Glideware and their products to organize pots and pans?
http://glideware.com/

Image

What are your experiences?
I made something like this for my father's pot cabinet. Bought some slides from Lee Valley, but I rigidly attached the hooks, which isn't as nice as this. Not sure what they charge for something like that, but my version cost $20 + 1 hour of time + some scrap pine I had laying around. The one I made has a theoretical loading capacity of 150lbs I believe, but it would probably rip out of the cabinet if I tried to put that much weight on it.

However, I didn't even realise that you could attach the lids like that; I feel like a complete idiot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChubChub wrote: I made something like this for my father's pot cabinet. Bought some slides from Lee Valley, but I rigidly attached the hooks, which isn't as nice as this. Not sure what they charge for something like that, but my version cost $20 + 1 hour of time + some scrap pine I had laying around. The one I made has a theoretical loading capacity of 150lbs I believe, but it would probably rip out of the cabinet if I tried to put that much weight on it.

However, I didn't even realise that you could attach the lids like that; I feel like a complete idiot.
They charge an insane amount for it - $199 USD for what I listed.

And yes, I had a DOH moment when I saw their lid skills. Although it only works for handles and not knobs.

Top