Food & Drink

Global Classic 3-Piece Knife Set

  • Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2020 5:33 pm
[OP]
Newbie
May 7, 2020
6 posts
3 upvotes

Global Classic 3-Piece Knife Set

I was shopping for a good set of knives and found this deal on a 3-piece knife set from Global on Best Buy for $159.99.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/gl ... 1/11281678


Costco has a 2 piece set for $99.99

https://www.costco.ca/global-2-piece-g2 ... 81077.html


Maybe someone can help and let us know which set is a better value?
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 8th, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed Costco link, your link said "page not found"
8 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4580 posts
1592 upvotes
I purchased a set of Japanese Stainless Steel 8-Piece Knife Set by Vertoku (subsidiary line of Shun Cutlery) a few months back for CAD$170 (shipping included).

Amazingly sharp knives with a great balance. Handles are perfectly shaped.

IMG_20200224_174813.jpg

Set consisted of:

8" Chef Knife
8" Slicing Knife
8" Bread Knife
7" Santoku Knife
7" Cleaver Knife
6" Boning Knife
5" Santoku Knife
3.5" Paring Knife

Each knife came with its own protective cover.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Moderator
May 28, 2012
11146 posts
3279 upvotes
Saskatoon
Might be a good idea to hold a Global knife in your hands before purchasing...some people don't like the handle. I don't own any but have read that the handle can be slippery. The Best Buy set is okay if you need a serrated bread knife and don't mind a utility knife with a flexible blade (I don't think I'd like that). I also can't imagine using that paring knife in the Costco set, seems like it wouldn't be very comfortable to use.

Unless a set has exactly what you want, it's better to buy the knives you will use the most (and not necessarily all at once).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6578 posts
3655 upvotes
Aurora
Mars2012 wrote: Might be a good idea to hold a Global knife in your hands before purchasing...some people don't like the handle. I don't own any but have read that the handle can be slippery. The Best Buy set is okay if you need a serrated bread knife and don't mind a utility knife with a flexible blade (I don't think I'd like that). I also can't imagine using that paring knife in the Costco set, seems like it wouldn't be very comfortable to use.

Unless a set has exactly what you want, it's better to buy the knives you will use the most (and not necessarily all at once).
I love my Global G2, but yes, if it had just a little more of a thicker handle that would make it easier to grip. As with any good quality sharp knife, I've learned to respect it, having nicked myself a couple of times.

I'd probably pass on the 3-piece set and go for the $99 2-piece. The mult-purpose knife could be used for small jobs like cutting fruit without having to break out the bad boy G2 chef's knife.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 26, 2002
6202 posts
607 upvotes
BC
I started with a set of 3 globals, love them and have since added a couple others. The G2 chefs knife is one of my favorites. I also have the flexible one and honestly I very rarely ever use it. Any bread knife is good, I dont feel an expensive one is needed. Saying that, I'd go for the 2 piece set from Costco if I was going to get one of them.

The handles are not slippery at all, I find the knives are a perfect fit and very comfortable to use. They also stay sharp for an amazing length of time, and I use them daily.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7005 posts
1357 upvotes
Scarborough
Most of what we’re using at home are the paring knives from Victorinox (swiss made).
Those are the best and way cheaper than these expensive sets. The handle is great.

For cutting meat just get 1 or 2 big knives separately.

Save money!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3867 posts
1742 upvotes
Mississauga
Gooddeals2020 wrote: I was shopping for a good set of knives and found this deal on a 3-piece knife set from Global on Best Buy for $159.99.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/gl ... 1/11281678


Costco has a 2 piece set for $99.99

https://www.costco.ca/global-2-piece-g2 ... 81077.html


Maybe someone can help and let us know which set is a better value?
Keep it simple. All you need is two knives.
Go on Amazon and get chef's and paring Victorinox. All you need. They go sale often and the chef's can be had around $40 and the other $10.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Keep it simple. All you need is two knives.
Go on Amazon and get chef's and paring Victorinox. All you need. They go sale often and the chef's can be had around $40 and the other $10.
While I agree that those two will do for most things, and their Chef's blade is one of the best, it really depends on what your're preparing. You want a serrated blade for anything that you have to cut that is too delicate to take downward pressure, or for tomatoes if you suck at sharpening/honing. You'd want a thin flexible blade if you prepare whole fish, or for boning some meats, as there would be a lot of waste with a stiff or wide blade, or else ugly cuts, no matter how good you are. I'd also suggest multiple paring knives with different colour handles, as that makes it way easier to deal with cross-contamination without having to stop and wash them every time. Get the Superstore ones for $5. Same with cutting boards. You want more than one and you want to be able to tell them apart easily.

Top