• Dec 4th, 2020 12:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2002
1989 posts
336 upvotes
Montreal

[Costco] Global knife set 7 pieces Costco $349

Pretty hot deal on a 7 piece global knife set... I like this look much better than the bay bamboo one...

Even better if you have a $50 coupon from renewing your membership

https://www.costco.ca/global---kabuto-7 ... 35711.html

There is also a different set for $500
https://www.costco.ca/global-zeitaku-7- ... 93563.html
38 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19685 posts
7212 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Interesting but i was hoping for a return of the Global Synergy line.
Mostly because how can you go wrong with proper corporate synergy?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes
I already have some global knives and I’m considering purchasing some more, is it possible to buy larger blocks so that I could fit more knives, including a meat cleaver?

I’d like to be able to have all my knives in the same spot, wondering how other people manage this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2002
1989 posts
336 upvotes
Montreal
Rockstead wrote: I already have some global knives and I’m considering purchasing some more, is it possible to buy larger blocks so that I could fit more knives, including a meat cleaver?

I’d like to be able to have all my knives in the same spot, wondering how other people manage this.
I was in the same boat as you but didn’t think of the meat cleaver... there are some blocks at the bay that go on sale every once in a while... I already had the chefs knife and another knife from a previous Costco deal but will end up selling them or giving them to family since this was just too good of a deal to pass on
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6135 posts
6085 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Goes well with Sapporo katana can opener
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1090 posts
1089 upvotes
Abbotsford
I picked up the 3 piece set, to be honest all most people will ever need (in addition to the knives they no doubt already have in the house).
Global 3-piece Knife Set with Chef Knife $130.00
Item # ‌1194432‌

for reference this is the set:
https://www.trouva.com/products/global- ... HOEALw_wcB
Dec 2, 2003
861 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
DanielM491 wrote: I picked up the 3 piece set, to be honest all most people will ever need (in addition to the knives they no doubt already have in the house).
Global 3-piece Knife Set with Chef Knife $130.00
Item # ‌1194432‌

for reference this is the set:
https://www.trouva.com/products/global- ... HOEALw_wcB
Looks like 1194432‌ doesn't return anything.
Assuming it's this one? https://www.costco.ca/global-3-piece-kn ... 93562.html
It was $130 in October, now it's $140
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1090 posts
1089 upvotes
Abbotsford
No. It is the one I linked at Trouva, as its out of stock and no longer on the costco website = see a pic below.
I have found these three knives handle 95% of the work I need them for in the kitchen (cooking lots of Jacques Pepin recipes at the moment). I already had a bread knife and to be honest - any old breadknife will do, just look for one that has curved serrations rather than pointy.
Image.
Last edited by DanielM491 on Dec 2nd, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1090 posts
1089 upvotes
Abbotsford
RoyF482 wrote: Is this a good price?
Only if you don't own any knives at all. In reality this set is 1 chef knife. 2 utility knives (doing the same job) 2 paring knives (doing the same job) and a bread knife. You end up paying for 3 knives that you dont need, unless you are not using these as tools but rather conversation pieces, or simply for display/decoration?
My knife block at home has 3 x victorinox fibrox, 1x Zwilling, 3 x global 1x Ikea and 3 budget no name knives. All together they cost less than $250.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1090 posts
1089 upvotes
Abbotsford
Comparison in MS paint (sorry) of what you are actually paying $220 for. keeping in mind that the OP set is $350. And Costco often has the chef, utility and paring knife set for $130
Images
  • global.jpg
Oct 5, 2020
14 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Global is a great brand for those that don't know anything about kitchen knives. Very reliable. Also praised by Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential lol.
Dec 2, 2003
861 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
DanielM491 wrote: No. It is the one I linked at Trouva, as its out of stock and no longer on the costco website = see a pic below.
I have found these three knives handle 95% of the work I need them for in the kitchen (cooking lots of Jacques Pepin recipes at the moment). I already had a bread knife and to be honest - any old breadknife will do, just look for one that has curved serrations rather than pointy.
Image.
OK that is more clear since searching an old item number does not always bring up the product and the next closest was another 3 piece set.
Agreed, I rarely go for the bread knife hence I'd place lower value on it.
I would place the most value on a Chef or Santouku and utility/paring knife.

I think the one you mention for $130 is a great set and value for those specific knives which I find most useful (used).
Dec 2, 2003
861 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
MeGustaFreeStuff wrote: Global is a great brand for those that don't know anything about kitchen knives. Very reliable. Also praised by Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential lol.
Please elaborate as not sure if this means it's a great and useful set at a good price or the opposite...
Dec 2, 2003
861 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Obviously this is not some Yoshihiro Mizuyaki Hinyaki set, but isn't this reasonable priced for most intermediate home users?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2773 posts
5483 upvotes
DanielM491 wrote: Comparison in MS paint (sorry) of what you are actually paying $220 for. keeping in mind that the OP set is $350. And Costco often has the chef, utility and paring knife set for $130
You are also getting the block as well,
I agree its not as good of a value but the block is definitely worth at least $60-$70
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1090 posts
1089 upvotes
Abbotsford
You are, in essence, paying $220 for a bread knife and a block. (as the utility, chef and paring knife were $130 a month ago on Costco.ca)
Just my opinion, but this is a terrible deal.
Last edited by DanielM491 on Dec 2nd, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5594 posts
1990 upvotes
Elusive wrote: Obviously this is not some Yoshihiro Mizuyaki Hinyaki set, but isn't this reasonable priced for most intermediate home users?
Did you just comment to name drop lol
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*