Toronto, ON
Thanks OP, what is the "NI' series ??
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 26, 2005
1984 posts
89 upvotes
Canada
futabasan wrote: Thanks OP, what is the "NI' series ??
From Global's site:

"Global Ni are the second in the new generation of Global Knives (Ni meaning 2). These knives have all you would expect of the Global range; razor sharp edges, Chromova18 stainless steel and Global's famous perfectly weighted hollow handles. What set the Global Ni apart are the improvements to the original series. Thicker blades with slightly longer handles and a spine that has been slightly rounded to provide control and comfort using a pinch grip.

Global Ni knives all feature an oriental styling, with a distinctive kink in the knife blade. The blades are sharpened to Global’s 15 degree angle, to provide an extremely sharp edge and go through an extra sharpening process in the factory. The Global Ni knives have a superior edge to the Global Classic series which added to the slightly heavier weight of these knives make these knives feel quite a bit more substantial than the Classic series.Global Ni handles retain Global’s famous dimples to provide grip and with a seamless join between the handle and blade retain Global’s distinctive look and design."
Items currently for sale
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9426 posts
2171 upvotes
Toronto
AERO4 for 4x aeroplan pts.
Nov 13, 2007
5 posts
50 upvotes
Ottawa
More then half price of the lowest competitor at $69.99

Features:
20 cm (8 in.) cook’s knife
Smooth contour and seamless construction
Perfectly balanced
Designed and crafted in Japan

Walmart has is for $190 https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Global-NI- ... 4H2F5UY1FK
Cook store is on sale for 164.99 https://www.cookstore.ca/global-ni-seri ... 0BEALw_wcB
Limited QTYs according to the site
Last edited by SavingsDealz on Apr 3rd, 2019 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
May 23, 2016
184 posts
80 upvotes
Knights Who Say "Ni" is what I first thought lol
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1880 posts
184 upvotes
Hmm... already have the Global Chef's Knife 8", wonder if this style of knife is any better? Is it better for chopping vegetables? Or is it unnecessary if you already have the Chef's knife?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4792 posts
1926 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thank-you, @Nfiltr8tor! Ordered.
chinesedevil wrote: AERO4 for 4x aeroplan pts.
Thank-you.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2217 posts
1528 upvotes
"The blades are sharpened to Global’s 15 degree angle"

Question for knife fanatics: What happens if I sharpen the knife, it won't be at 15 degrees anymore, right? I mean, given that I'm just using a stone to sharpen.
Jun 26, 2008
143 posts
103 upvotes
Thanks OP, I'm really happy with my Henckel's Pro, but have to start working out of town for a while and this will be handy to keep at my other place and not drag a chef's knife back and forth.
Sep 1, 2017
88 posts
70 upvotes
What would be a good case/ storage stand for this?
Jan 6, 2011
198 posts
260 upvotes
toronto
slimysnot wrote: "The blades are sharpened to Global’s 15 degree angle"

Question for knife fanatics: What happens if I sharpen the knife, it won't be at 15 degrees anymore, right? I mean, given that I'm just using a stone to sharpen.
Im knife noob, but i got mino sharpener for these global knives, supposedly it maintains right edge

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mino-Sharp-Cera ... 2254556681
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1824 posts
747 upvotes
GTA
reggyDeal wrote: Hmm... already have the Global Chef's Knife 8", wonder if this style of knife is any better? Is it better for chopping vegetables? Or is it unnecessary if you already have the Chef's knife?
If you already have the 8" chef knife (G2), then this will be pretty redundant.
If you're looking for something for vegetables, Global has a smaller vegetable knife (GS-5) that will probably be a better addition to what you already have.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1142 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
slimysnot wrote: "The blades are sharpened to Global’s 15 degree angle"

You'll be fine. Just watch lots of sharpening videos, and practice. Eventually you'll get a feel for the angle. The sound you make when sharpening should also give you an indication.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1880 posts
184 upvotes
b33f wrote:
If you already have the 8" chef knife (G2), then this will be pretty redundant.
If you're looking for something for vegetables, Global has a smaller vegetable knife (GS-5) that will probably be a better addition to what you already have.
Thanks for clarifying... But if there is a vegetable knife, what is the main purpose of the chef's knife? Is there not overlap here? Or just a preference?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)