Expired Hot Deals

Locked: [Globe & Mail 1 Year Digital subscription] Great Deal on the Globe and Mail

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1806 posts
1330 upvotes
GTA West

Great Deal on the Globe and Mail

Deal Link:
Price:
$75 1 year
Retailer:
Globe & Mail 1 Year Digital subscription
If you like quality journalism, take a look at this offer.

The NY Time also has an offer for Canadians at C$4.52 tax included per month which they renewed for me at the promo rate.

At these prices you don't need to try to sneak around paywalls. And with so much fake news around you want to support quality news providers and keep them alive. If you don't we will all be depending on Facebook for our news in the not so distant future!
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on May 24th, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Share:
46 replies
Sr. Member
Apr 18, 2017
681 posts
1325 upvotes
LOL quality journalism.
Member
Sep 29, 2015
293 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Realistically, the Globe is the best we have and this deal is warm enough.

My issue with them is having to call in to cancel rather than being able to online....
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2003
4759 posts
6808 upvotes
Vancouver
diggidydave wrote: Realistically, the Globe is the best we have and this deal is warm enough.

My issue with them is having to call in to cancel rather than being able to online....
"Best we have" does not mean it's good...
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Newbie
Apr 24, 2012
88 posts
27 upvotes
Kelowna
I believe this is digital only, not the home delivery.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
1240 posts
512 upvotes
Vaughan
Digital will be the death of local print journalism. When I was growing up we had a daily delivered newspaper (made from paper). It was shared among the family. Some read the front section, some read business, some read sports, and crossword was a family pursuit that elicited laughs, boos, eye rolls, and high fives. I now have a family of my own and my wife questioned why I would bother to get a paper delivered to our home. I was the only interested party, digital is cheaper, and there's less paper each week in our blue box. Good points, but my wife is now occasionally reading parts of the daily paper (she did not grow up in a newspaper household), and she solves the crossword every night after dinner with me and our eldest daughter (6 years old) throwing answers in where we can. Sometimes my 6 year old saddles up next to me and does some reading too (if I deem the subject matter appropriate). "The medium is the message", right? A family gathers around a warm communal fire in the family room. No one gathers around a 8" tablet designed with just one user in mind. I read plenty on my phone, tablet, computer, and my e-reader too. But a newspaper is delivered to my home every day so that a love of reading, discussion, and maybe even crossword solving can be shared by all. If you have a spouse and/or kids, give some old-fashioned hardcopy a chance. If your home is old enough, you can even use yesterdays paper to build a fire in your fireplace! Except in Montreal of course...

Upvoted! I don't get the Globe and Mail, but I do miss reading Rob Carrick, Marcus Gee, and John Ibbitson (G&M was the paper I grew up with). Some solid writers in that neck of the woods!

Mic
Last edited by mobile_mic on May 23rd, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
# D4HK
# FreeSpavor&KovrigNow
Member
Sep 29, 2015
293 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto, ON
max011 wrote: "Best we have" does not mean it's good...
Out of curiosity, what alternative would you suggest?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2340 posts
652 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: If you like quality journalism, take a look at this offer.

The NY Time also has an offer for Canadians at C$4.52 tax included per month which they renewed for me at the promo rate.

At these prices you don't need to try to sneak around paywalls. And with so much fake news around you want to support quality news providers and keep them alive. If you don't we will all be depending on Facebook for our news in the not so distant future!
OP, how do you get the NY Times renewed at this price? Whenever I ask to cancel, they offer me 25% off and I accept (for 24 weeks). Should I be pushing to get the 50% you are getting? How long does your promo last?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2340 posts
652 upvotes
BTW the deal is not bad but I would rather go with Wall Street Journal for $67.60/year promo instead. However, The Globe and Mail is better for Canadian local news. The local library stopped carrying it in the Pressreader App, so I usually just grab the Saturday Globe and Mail edition which is left in front of my grocery store every Monday...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2003
4759 posts
6808 upvotes
Vancouver
diggidydave wrote: Out of curiosity, what alternative would you suggest?
Is there an "alternative" at all these days??
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9229 posts
4509 upvotes
Markham
Thrasher wrote: BTW the deal is not bad but I would rather go with Wall Street Journal for $67.60/year promo instead. However, The Globe and Mail is better for Canadian local news. The local library stopped carrying it in the Pressreader App, so I usually just grab the Saturday Globe and Mail edition which is left in front of my grocery store every Monday...
Where did you find 67 dollar promotion? Is this Canadian dollar
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1806 posts
1330 upvotes
GTA West
Thrasher wrote: OP, how do you get the NY Times renewed at this price? Whenever I ask to cancel, they offer me 25% off and I accept (for 24 weeks). Should I be pushing to get the 50% you are getting? How long does your promo last?
I called to cancel my subscription this week when they raised the monthly rate from $4.52 to $22.60 after the first year. They asked me right away if I would take another year at $4.52! That was originally a promo rate for Canadians I found somewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1806 posts
1330 upvotes
GTA West
User131439 wrote: LOL quality journalism.
So where do you get YOUR quality journalism from?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2014
2833 posts
2153 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mobile_mic wrote: Digital will be the death of local print journalism. When I was growing up we had a daily delivered newspaper (made from paper). It was shared among the family. Some read the front section, some read business, some read sports, and crossword was a family pursuit that elicited laughs, boos, eye rolls, and high fives. I now have a family of my own and my wife questioned why I would bother to get a paper delivered to our home. I was the only interested party, digital is cheaper, and there's less paper each week in our blue box. Good points, but my wife is now occasionally reading parts of the daily paper (she did not grow up in a newspaper household), and she solves the crossword every night after dinner with me and our eldest daughter (6 years old) throwing answers in where we can. Sometimes my 6 year old saddles up next to me and does some reading too (if I deem the subject matter appropriate). "The medium is the message", right? A family gathers around a warm communal fire in the family room. No one gathers around a 8" tablet designed with just one user in mind. I read plenty on my phone, tablet, computer, and my e-reader too. But a newspaper is delivered to my home every day so that a love of reading, discussion, and maybe even crossword solving can be shared by all. If you have a spouse and/or kids, give some old-fashioned hardcopy a chance. If your home is old enough, you can even use yesterdays paper to build a fire in your fireplace! Except in Montreal of course...

Upvoted! I don't get the Globe and Mail, but I do miss reading Rob Carrick, Marcus Gee, and John Ibbitson (G&M was the paper I grew up with). Some solid writers in that neck of the woods!

Mic
I agree that family sharing conversation time and topics is a valuable thing that should not be lost. I disagree that having the print on paper vs. a screen makes any difference to the number of people who can read it at the same time. It's more sensible and comfortable for everyone to have their own tablet, or to put it on a big screen and read it from the couch etc. Printed news is obsolete and supports needless consumption of trees. The fact that tree farms displace natural forest area and destroy wildlife habitats should be a greater concern than the fact that our kids are growing up with different technology than we did. Just as buggy whip manufacturers had to face the fact that cars are here to stay, the print industry has to face the fact that the Internet is here to stay. Information is now digital and available anywhere.
Member
Jul 10, 2007
411 posts
304 upvotes
Nice diatribe. So, since it’s a “fact”, how many “natural forest” acres are displaced by ‘tree farms” due to printed newspapers? I’m all for “wildlife habitats”. I had no idea that newspapers were the cause of their destruction!
Jr. Member
Feb 23, 2015
163 posts
37 upvotes
Hampstead, QC
This is on par with NYT. Can anyone confirm we will get paper not digital version? I might jump to the deals given we had shortage of toilet paper recently.
Member
User avatar
Dec 23, 2010
260 posts
244 upvotes
Ottawa
It's hilarious to me how dying print media thinks opinion articles are doing them any favours.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8092 posts
4068 upvotes
I liked G&M's coverage of the JWR/SNC scandal that broke last year. If it weren't for G&M, Canadians may never have learned about that. However, I still find them compromised in their reporting when I learn that they take money from the taxpayers via the ruling party. When they are completely independent, I may consider funding them personally.

Top