Hot Deals

Globe and Mail Digital subscription -24-week trial for $0.99 per week

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2021 5:50 pm
54 replies
Mar 9, 2004
183 posts
138 upvotes
Are these subscriptions to Canadian news sources tax deductible? I noticed a section on my 2020 return.
Mar 9, 2007
493 posts
99 upvotes
goldenball wrote: is this a good deal? is it easy to discontinue at the end of this promotion?
https://subscribe.theglobeandmail.com/# ... mp=PEN_C_A
In my experience with other publications, cancellation can be near impossible. Many hoops to jump through, it's not a simple click of a button. They force you to call in, phone reps dodge the cancellation and offer promo after promo. I've Googled the cancellation process for G&M in the past as I wanted to subscribe, but the cancellation process sounded the same.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5272 posts
4666 upvotes
This is a good deal, aside from the news coverage is relying more on third party sources such as Reuters and Bloomberg which are available at no cost.

1 week on the Globe and Mail timeline is not 1 calendar week. 1 week is 7 business days based on my last call with them.

$1/week is the student rate. This lower than the last one. globe-mail-globe-mail-75-one-year-subsc ... y-2376890/

To cancel, which I did recently is as simple as a call. No hoops.

Update

+1 OP

Just resubscribed using this promo as my current sub expires in a week. For the Investing and RE sections.

FYI @MashGhasem
Last edited by MrMom on Apr 7th, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 31, 2003
732 posts
187 upvotes
White Rock, BC
I've been looking for a G&M deal for awhile...didn't bite on the last one. It is a pain to cancel (having to dial in) - but I prefer their retention deal and want to keep this long term (this is how I do my SiriusXM sub)...I have no intention of paying full price but their retention deals are more than reasonable...give me this deal on-going and I'll sign-up.

I have a legacy student sub to NYT...same thing...I pay $2.20/month...so cheap and the value is amazing, just want a Canadian based paper which this checks...between those two I can concentrate their for news and use Flipboard as an aggregrator for other sites/topics.

The ads that G&M and NYT app show are annoying though - if I'm paying I don't want to see ads
Nov 11, 2017
15 posts
33 upvotes
Good deal for in my opinion great content for Canadian news. Yes it takes a call to cancel and they'll try to keep you. It's a bit like cancelling a phone plan. It's worth the trouble though, great Canadian news outlets such as G&M is worth supporting. I get most of my news from G&M and NYT through paid subs.
Nov 26, 2012
351 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks I'm gonna sign up for this.

I have nytimes and I have never been able to successfully cancel because I always accept their retention offer. Also, they have the friendliest reps which I'm sure is their strategy.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2060 posts
1098 upvotes
SW ON
xmai77 wrote: In my experience with other publications, cancellation can be near impossible. Many hoops to jump through, it's not a simple click of a button. They force you to call in, phone reps dodge the cancellation and offer promo after promo. I've Googled the cancellation process for G&M in the past as I wanted to subscribe, but the cancellation process sounded the same.
ranjy wrote: I've been looking for a G&M deal for awhile...didn't bite on the last one. It is a pain to cancel (having to dial in)
OoiOoi wrote: Good deal for in my opinion great content for Canadian news. Yes it takes a call to cancel and they'll try to keep you. It's a bit like cancelling a phone plan. It's worth the trouble though, great Canadian news outlets such as G&M is worth supporting. I get most of my news from G&M and NYT through paid subs.
The site shows this can be subscribed to with PayPal. One can cancel the automatic payment in PayPal later and be done with it.
Nov 11, 2017
15 posts
33 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Someone, please explain why I should pay for news these days. How is this a hot deal? What's special about The Globe and Mail?
It depends on the type and quality of content you care about. Different media outlets serves different audience. Try following them on social media, and if you tend to click on their articles a lot, then you know it's for you.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10773 posts
5076 upvotes
We got in on one of these deals but it was free for 6 months and we had it delivered to a family member in the city and it was hit or miss. Some issues would come some wouldnt.We would call in they would say they would speak to driver.It was not great at all.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5272 posts
4666 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: We got in on one of these deals but it was free for 6 months and we had it delivered to a family member in the city and it was hit or miss. Some issues would come some wouldnt.We would call in they would say they would speak to driver.It was not great at all.
"Digital"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8829 posts
3297 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: That didn't answer my questions. Social media are not news outlets, sorry. I can never click on their articles on news aggregators (Google News etc.) because they are not there because they are not free. So, my question still stands. What's special about The Globe and Mail?
Not sure if this is a serious question, because some people just expect everything to be free, including quality news.

Do you expect all reputable news agencies to work for free? Because they are not working for free, or working as charity.

G&M is a reputable company. This is a good deal here for people wanting to subscribe to G&M, better pricing than what I pay for the yearly subscription.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1007 posts
1687 upvotes
Victoria
Stankonia wrote: Are these subscriptions to Canadian news sources tax deductible? I noticed a section on my 2020 return.
It's under $24 for the 24 month subscription. The taxable value of that is negligible. I certainly wouldn't use that as my criteria on whether I would subscribe or not.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4751 posts
1777 upvotes
Winnipeg
alpovs wrote: How can I like it or dislike it if it's not available for free just to see what's there? That's why I am asking here.
Try it for a month? Like, what sort of answer are you looking for?

The "free" media is not good. Pay for quality journalism.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8829 posts
3297 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: How can I like it or dislike it if it's not available for free just to see what's there? That's why I am asking here.
Let us know how it works out for you, to go to a restaurant to try eating, to go try flying for free, to get on TTC for free, to get Canadian passport for free, get groceries for free, etc. So that you can see if you like it.
Sep 16, 2015
380 posts
793 upvotes
Calgary, AB
There are some really good in-depth reporting pieces that you simply can't find "free" online. I also subscribe to the NY Times.

Their reporters do good research and present thoughtful analysis. Free news is typically very shallow and just touches on the facts, whereas the top-tier newspapers will dig into the story and background.
Sep 16, 2015
380 posts
793 upvotes
Calgary, AB
alpovs wrote: I read the same news for free elsewhere. Not a valid analogy. Do they report some "secret news" I can't read elsewhere?
Enough, already. Go read your free news and quit polluting this thread. Several people have attempted to answer your question and you simply challenge them.
Jan 17, 2017
138 posts
68 upvotes
Digital version free via local library, same with Toronto Star. Use PressReader ios app.