890 upvotes
Ottawa

The Globe and Mail 1-year subscription for $0.99 per week

Deal Link:
Price:
$0.99
Retailer:
The Globe and Mail
The Globe and Mail has digital subscription on sale for $0.99 per week for the first 52 weeks. Unfortunately, Perkopolis's discount is bad ($1.99 per week for first 24 weeks at the time of writing this post). Also, I don't have experience on how easy it is to cancel after 1 year. If anyone has experience, please chime in.

Edit: Never mind. There is Paypal option too and it is the hassle-free option for cancelling subscription later.

I know paying for news in this age is looking down upon on and I am expecting downvotes anyway. If you feel this newspaper is biased, then don't bother paying but I urge you to consider paying for journalism, in general - whichever side of the political spectrum you are on and wherever you get your news.
Last edited by augustman2 on Oct 3rd, 2022 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Political, Off Topic and other Thread Derailing comments will be removed without warning and users posting such content may receive infractions in accordance with our forum rules.
62 replies
Jun 7, 2008
168 posts
64 upvotes
Oakville
G&M has some great business content so even if, to your point, there is a political slant it really just depends what you intend to read. I think the main issue for me is that I've heard their cancel policy requires a call and that can lead to wait times and annoyances for those who try. Not sure if anyone has heard something similar? If that's changed I'd consider signing up.
[OP]
May 25, 2022
86 posts
890 upvotes
Ottawa
adam west wrote: G&M has some great business content so even if, to your point, there is a political slant it really just depends what you intend to read. I think the main issue for me is that I've heard their cancel policy requires a call and that can lead to wait times and annoyances for those who try. Not sure if anyone has heard something similar? If that's changed I'd consider signing up.
That's a great point. Also, after posting, I realized there is also an option to pay by Paypal. Canceling a Paypal subscription is far easier.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
2528 posts
1619 upvotes
Markham
why is paying with paypal easier ? I am looking at subscribing and yeah def cancel after promo is over.
[OP]
May 25, 2022
86 posts
890 upvotes
Ottawa
savemoresaveoften wrote: why is paying with paypal easier ? I am looking at subscribing and yeah def cancel after promo is over.
You can go to Paypal "manage autopay" and cancel the vendor anytime you want the subscription to end. You are basically stopping the payments. If you pay by Credit card, you need to call G&M customer care and explain why you want to cancel the subscription.
https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/autopay/
Apr 16, 2014
310 posts
476 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Yep, I subscribe whenever these deals come around. Currently have a subscription, so I'm good for now. If I want things to stick around (like news) I pay for them. Thanks for being like minded.
Nov 5, 2021
179 posts
115 upvotes
Isn't this expensive? I know the Toronto Star used to give 1$ per month for 6 months.
Jun 7, 2008
168 posts
64 upvotes
Oakville
bishop613 wrote: Yep, I subscribe whenever these deals come around. Currently have a subscription, so I'm good for now. If I want things to stick around (like news) I pay for them. Thanks for being like minded.
In your mind, is it worth it?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6737 posts
5288 upvotes
Nishant872 wrote: Isn't this expensive? I know the Toronto Star used to give 1$ per month for 6 months.
Yeah, but then you're reading the Star lol (kidding, whatever floats your boat).

$52 is relatively cheap as far as G&M subs go, I think the cheapest I've seen is $15 for 6 months or something?
adam west wrote: In your mind, is it worth it?
$52 for a year of G&M digital? yeah, it's worth it.
Apr 16, 2014
310 posts
476 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
adam west wrote: In your mind, is it worth it?
You mean, do I feel I get value for my $1 a week from the Globe and Mail? Of course. I'd pay twice that happily.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5311 posts
4002 upvotes
The paper is a shallow self compared to what it was even 10 years ago. They shrink the paper by at least 1/3 since i last saw a physical copy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6380 posts
4576 upvotes
bishop613 wrote: You mean, do I feel I get value for my $1 a week from the Globe and Mail? Of course. I'd pay twice that happily.
You giving them ideas? lol
May 27, 2020
130 posts
227 upvotes
Just a heads up for those who end up getting a sub or have a sub already, you can claim it and other newspapers (like the star, ect) on your income tax for a tax credit as part of the “qualified Canadian journalism organizations”. Just use your real name when you sign up ;)

Go through the Canada.ca website to read more about it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... tions.html

https://globeandmail.force.com/helpcent ... Tax-Credit
Mar 26, 2004
627 posts
491 upvotes
MBNA world elite also gives 5 points per dollar for digital media subscriptions
Jun 10, 2011
200 posts
73 upvotes
KIRKLAND
Paying $25.05 month for a Saturday paper copy with digital for the week. Expensive paper copy for Saturday which I like!!!!!. Look the paper are going under in this country sorry to say. A number of them will not print on Monday starting mid October.
Sep 23, 2003
304 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
I pay for G&M subscription - its great content. Honestly if no one pays then they will not be able to create Canadian specific content.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
8526 posts
9338 upvotes
This is the best offer from the Globe and Mail in my recollection, Previously, they offered $0.99/wk for 24 weeks.

A reminder to set in your calendar to get the "Digital News Subscription Tax credit." Follow the links below.

Globe and Mail Digital subscription -24-week trial for $0.99 per week
Oct 16th, 2021 3:45 pm
Jul 31, 2021
142 posts
336 upvotes
Not sure if people are aware of archive.ph, it's a easy way to bypass most paywall news sites.

By no means am I suggesting that people don't pay for the news but one can't possibly be expected to subscribe to each and every news site. I wish there was a reasonably priced service like Netflix for news that you could pay for and never have to encounter these paywalls.
Jan 8, 2020
235 posts
603 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks OP. Pulled trigger as I'm interested in the content they provide.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)