Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Globe and Mail

The Globe and Mail 1-year subscription for $0.99 per week

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2023 11:21 pm
Aug 26, 2008
567 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto, ON
augustman2 wrote: Remember if you are getting it for free, then you are the product.
Unless you somehow cover 100% of the G&M costs with your $1 subscription, you are still the product.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
2861 posts
3497 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm just here to point out that your local library probably has free access to the digital edition through their website using your library card. It's worth checking.
If you still have a university library access or someone in your immediate family does... You definitely already have free access to the digital edition.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21828 posts
15583 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
evilYoda wrote: The paper is a shallow self compared to what it was even 10 years ago. They shrink the paper by at least 1/3 since i last saw a physical copy.
Yes, it's gotten smaller but it's not as bad as PostMedia. The National Post and the local papers have literally stopped printing on Mondays citing a drop in advertising revenue but leaving subscription rates the same.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3916 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
sunnysidesolutions wrote: I'm just here to point out that your local library probably has free access to the digital edition through their website using your library card. It's worth checking.
If you still have a university library access or someone in your immediate family does... You definitely already have free access to the digital edition.
actually, FP yes, G&M No. It used to but not any more for the past few years.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7545 posts
6814 upvotes
MrMom wrote: This is the best offer from the Globe and Mail in my recollection, Previously, they offered $0.99/wk for 24 weeks.
Ongoing offers, yes. There was a deal last year for $6 for 6 months, stacked with $15 rakuten - I actually made $7 to sign up for 6 months lol
sunnysidesolutions wrote: I'm just here to point out that your local library probably has free access to the digital edition through their website using your library card. It's worth checking.
As others said - G&M is only "archive" ie no realtime news via the library.

Toronto libray does has the WSJ though, online only (no app access) - which is solid.
Last edited by hvc on Oct 3rd, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 29, 2010
404 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga
panditji wrote: Not sure if people are aware of archive.ph, it's a easy way to bypass most paywall news sites.

By no means am I suggesting that people don't pay for the news but one can't possibly be expected to subscribe to each and every news site. I wish there was a reasonably priced service like Netflix for news that you could pay for and never have to encounter these paywalls.
I think you're describing Apple News no? (atleast for iPhone users)
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2016
1046 posts
986 upvotes
Comox Valley
savemoresaveoften wrote: actually, FP yes, G&M No. It used to but not any more for the past few years.
Some libraries have it, others do not. One that I belong to gives it to me in ProQuest, which is not my favorite reading format, but will do. Another library I belong to gives us access to PressReader. When I sign into PressReader using a VPN, as in been in the USA, the G & M is available to read and download. Without a VPN, and been in Canada, it will not give me access.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3916 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
User452441 wrote: Some libraries have it, others do not. One that I belong to gives it to me in ProQuest, which is not my favorite reading format, but will do. Another library I belong to gives us access to PressReader. When I sign into PressReader using a VPN, as in been in the USA, the G & M is available to read and download. Without a VPN, and been in Canada, it will not give me access.
Markham uses PressReader which excludes G&M. I will try the VPN trick and take a look, thanks.
Jun 5, 2007
582 posts
269 upvotes
North York
augustman2 wrote: You can go to Paypal "manage autopay" and cancel the vendor anytime you want the subscription to end. You are basically stopping the payments. If you pay by Credit card, you need to call G&M customer care and explain why you want to cancel the subscription.
https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/autopay/
Is this manage auto-pay option available on the PC only?? Can't seem to find manage auto-pay on the app on phone. Need to cancel my Toronto Star 1 yr subscription first
May 25, 2022
139 posts
1091 upvotes
Ottawa
hash76 wrote: Is this manage auto-pay option available on the PC only?? Can't seem to find manage auto-pay on the app on phone. Need to cancel my Toronto Star 1 yr subscription first
I checked on desktop.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6937 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Yes, it's gotten smaller but it's not as bad as PostMedia. The National Post and the local papers have literally stopped printing on Mondays citing a drop in advertising revenue but leaving subscription rates the same.
lol that national post is still around, and they have declared there is no local or world events that needs to be put out to their patrons on Mondays.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
2055 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
My sub ends in 3 weeks. Called in today to cancel. They offered me 2.49 per week, then 1.99 per week and then finally 0.99 per week but for 24 weeks. She went back and forth consulting their "imaginary" supervisor which responded in like 1 sec. Anyways, I cancelled and I'll sign up if this deal is still available in 3 weeks.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: Markham uses PressReader which excludes G&M. I will try the VPN trick and take a look, thanks.
With the library is the subscription complimentary only for a few days (30) with PressReader?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3916 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
sks8100 wrote: With the library is the subscription complimentary only for a few days (30) with PressReader?
Yes but think u can just renew again after 30 days. My understanding is that they set it to 30 days so u don’t have to log in daily.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: Yes but think u can just renew again after 30 days. My understanding is that they set it to 30 days so u don’t have to log in daily.
So cool I’ve been living under a rock all this time
May 25, 2022
139 posts
1091 upvotes
Ottawa
User452441 wrote:
Some libraries have it, others do not. One that I belong to gives it to me in ProQuest, which is not my favorite reading format, but will do. Another library I belong to gives us access to PressReader. When I sign into PressReader using a VPN, as in been in the USA, the G & M is available to read and download. Without a VPN, and been in Canada, it will not give me access.
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Markham uses PressReader which excludes G&M. I will try the VPN trick and take a look, thanks.
sks8100 wrote:
With the library is the subscription complimentary only for a few days (30) with PressReader?
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Yes but think u can just renew again after 30 days. My understanding is that they set it to 30 days so u don’t have to log in daily.
sks8100 wrote:
So cool I’ve been living under a rock all this time
I understand you are looking for better deals and it's good you found a way. But guys, I urge you to support local media. I would rather read WSJ or NYT for free through Canadian libraries (they already must be paying) than not pay for Canadian news. It doesn't matter whether your political orientation is left or right, just pay for Canadian stuff. Hope I didn't offend you all.

P.S. This is coming from an immigrant who was in USA for many years and, by choice, moved to Canada. I love this country, the wonderful people, and am making every effort to support the local economy. I request that you do too.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
augustman2 wrote: I understand you are looking for better deals and it's good you found a way. But guys, I urge you to support local media. I would rather read WSJ or NYT for free through Canadian libraries (they already must be paying) than not pay for Canadian news. It doesn't matter whether your political orientation is left or right, just pay for Canadian stuff. Hope I didn't offend you all.

P.S. This is coming from an immigrant who was in USA for many years and, by choice, moved to Canada. I love this country, the wonderful people, and am making every effort to support the local economy. I request that you do too.
No offence taken. I hear you. I’m not a frequent reader. I’ll pick up a paper once a week
Point taken tho

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)