• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2021 10:47 pm
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
719 posts
228 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Globe and Mail Online Subscription Deals

What are the best deals available right now for the online version of the Globe and Fail? I do like the ROB and Investing sections when they don't start preaching about woke investments, etc.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1431 posts
588 upvotes
Midland
Kiraly wrote: Online text-only subscription through your public library. Free. Actually not really free, since your property taxes are already paying for it. So go ahead and use it.
I know the Toronto Public Library did have the Globe and Mail (using press-reader for free) but removed it in 2017 because they asked it to be removed. Not sure if BC or Alberta public libraries have access to it. I think the best deal was 90 dollars (online only) for a year but that was a promo with the recent online Canadian newspapers legislation where you can write off a certain amount on your taxes.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10723 posts
13025 upvotes
Vancouver
Toronto public library still has the G&M through Canadian Newsstream, which is a text-only service. No it’s not the broadsheet nor the fancy website with photos, but if all the OP wants is the RoB and Investing articles, then it might do just fine. Looks like Calgary PL (where OP is) has this too. Vancouver PL still has the G&M digital broadsheet through Pressreader but only when you are physically in the library. The G&M is very stingy about what access library users get, obviously because they want to sell people subscriptions.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
719 posts
228 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Kiraly wrote: Toronto public library still has the G&M through Canadian Newsstream, which is a text-only service. No it’s not the broadsheet nor the fancy website with photos, but if all the OP wants is the RoB and Investing articles, then it might do just fine. Looks like Calgary PL (where OP is) has this too. Vancouver PL still has the G&M digital broadsheet through Pressreader but only when you are physically in the library. The G&M is very stingy about what access library users get, obviously because they want to sell people subscriptions.
Oh that's neat. I was using press reader and a year or two ago (maybe longer) they removed the publication. I didn't realize you could also access it via Canadian Newstream. Will give that a try now. Thanks!
Sep 16, 2015
391 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary, AB
cheapmother wrote: What are the best deals available right now for the online version of the Globe and Fail? I do like the ROB and Investing sections when they don't start preaching about woke investments, etc.
I subscribed to the G&M last October for $1.99/week for the first half year. I get billed $8.36 monthly and you can claim the subscription fee on your tax return for the new digital news subscription tax credit. See the "about the digital news sub tax credit" page for more info.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2374 posts
708 upvotes
Promotion going on currently for $0.99/ week for 24 weeks.