Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1530 posts
34 upvotes
usa

Gluten flour

Does anyone know if there's any way to substitute gluten flour with something else (like you can add something to AP flour and get cake flour)? I need wheat gluten flour with at least 70% protein, but everywhere I checked, there is no gluten flour. I need it to make gluten balls (麵筋). In Chinese market, they have 高筋, 中筋, 低筋, but I have no clue which one to get and I don't even know if the English translation is accurate or not.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12990 upvotes
English translations aside (which could be wrong, ie glutinous rice doesn't have any gluten, it's a translation from "sticky") you can't add something to AP to get cake. Cake is lower in protein.

I tried googling gluten balls, but I'm not sure what the end result is. But from what I gather, you can make it by finding a high protein flour and washing away the starch.
If this is correct, bread flour would be fine, but this is more like 13% protein, not 70%.

Vital Wheat Gluten may be more useful since it's basically all gluten but I have no idea how this translates into Chinese cooking.
May 28, 2012
11078 posts
3229 upvotes
Saskatoon
You can buy vital wheat gluten flour from the natural food section of some grocery stores...check which ones carry the Bob's Red Mill brand. I found it at Save On Foods. I usually buy the Hoosier Hill Farm product from Amazon but supply has been sporadic so I had to source some locally. I don't know if there is a difference between vital wheat gluten and vital wheat gluten flour.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1421 posts
239 upvotes
Grimsby
Bulk Barn sells gluten and you can buy as small an amount as you feel you need.

I use a quarter cup with 3 3/4 cups of ll purpose flour successfully.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1530 posts
34 upvotes
usa
This is what I am trying to make. Her recipe calls for gluten flour. A viewer posted a question about what flour to use and she said you can use vital wheat gluten, which I cannot find either.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5312 posts
2344 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Where are you looking? Might need a real Chinese grocery or a health(ish) food store.

Available at this place in Vancouver which probably doesn't help you. Probably screwed if you're in small town, or even white bread big city, U.S.A. per your stated location.

http://www.famousfoods.ca/departments/b ... ter=gluten
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1530 posts
34 upvotes
usa
I'm from Chicago. We definitely don't have large Chinese grocery / supermarket such as T&T, but a few of the Asian markets here are OK big.

In the video, she said 筋粉 (gluten flour). At one of the Chinese market, they have 高筋, 中筋, 低筋 (literally translated as high gluten, medium gluten, low gluten). I have no clue if any of these is what I need, and I don't remember what was the English translation.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1530 posts
34 upvotes
usa
We just checked the Chinese market that carried 中筋 and 低筋. The English translation and protein is as follows. I guess neither of these flour works for the recipe I'm trying to try.

中筋 = Fortified all purpose flour (3 gram protein)
低筋 = Fortified cake flour (2 gram protein)