• May 28th, 2009 4:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4112 posts
1366 upvotes
Ottawa
kozzie wrote: To elaborate...OEMs want their dealer body to thrive, by selling and servicing many cars. Due to the huge sums of money required to keep a dealership up to date in technology, training and appearance it is necessary for dealers to make a sizable profit to reinvest in the business. Simply skating along in a facility that is 20 years old with wood paneled bathrooms won't cut it today.

Additionally the OEM must train and support all dealers. To waste those assets on a dealer who is not selling and servicing a fair amount of cars does not make sense.
Extremely well explained.

Plus, with the brand rationalization that GM will be doing, Pontiac-Buick-GMC and Chevrolet-Cadillac stores will converted to full-line GM stores (Buick-GMC-Chevrolet-Cadillac). If GM kept them all, you'd have full-line stores too close together. This was one of the thing Engi-Nir hinted at.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2009
1081 posts
87 upvotes
Bolton
grantg24 wrote: I second that. Boyer rocks.

Gotta agree there we have a Boyer in Alliston and they rock too!
Hope they don't close!
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1808 posts
302 upvotes
I was at a Nissan/Infiniti dealer yesterday (buying a car) and could not believe how many others were there doing the same. In the 2 hours or so that I was there, there was no shortage of customers and people were buying - many had contracts in their hands. They were doing great!

To put this in perspective, though, there are 3 Nissan dealers within a reasonable driving distance from my place. There are 8 GM dealers within this same area - kinda dilutes their customer base per dealer. If they close 3 of the dealers in this area, it should make little difference for anyone wanting to buy a GM. The only problem may be for existing customers having to service their vehicles at another dealership with whom they have no working relationship - the service depts of the dealers that will remain open will definitely get busier.
Dec 13, 2006
258 posts
16 upvotes
MasterXan wrote: I'm sure the GM dealership besides Markville Toyota will be shutting down.
Not yet (as of May 22).
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3565 posts
688 upvotes
Originally Posted by corvettefan
Here are a list of other GM Dealers that I was abale to find:

A O'Farrell Chevrolet LTD 465 Westville Rd ew Glasgow, NS
BEAUCAGE CHEVROLET CADILLAC 4339 boul. Bourque Sherbrooke
Belanger Pontiac Buick GMC Inc at 1492 Youville Dr, Orleans, ON
Bill Spencer Chevrolet Ltd 1090 Elgin Street West, Cobourg, ON
Bill Storey Pontiac Buick GMC at 1515 Lansdowne W, Peterborough
Birchwood Pontiac Buick GMC 3965 Portage Ave. Winnipeg Manitoba
Bonnyman Pontiac Buick GMC 29 Crescent Drive, Stn Main Kentville. New Minas, NS
Border Pontiac Buick GMC 4318 Portage Rd South Niagara Falls On.
Brodeur Brothers Chevrolet Po Box 100 Stn Main St Adolphe MB
Brodeur Chev - 372 Main St, St Adolphe, MB
Budds Saturn Saab 2400 South Service Road West Oakville On
Checkpoint GMC Pontiac Buick LTD 349 King George Highway, Miramichi NB
Demers Chevrolet Inc. 868 Maloney BLVD Gatineau QC
Dennis Murphy Pontiac Buick GMC LTD - 2200 Eagle Street North Cambridge
Devon Chevrolet Oldsmobile Ltd 7 Saskatchewan Avenue West Devon,
Don Howson Toronto Chevrolet - 2135 Sheppard Avenue East Toronto
DYSON & ARMSTRONG INC.
May 23, 2009
1 posts
I am an employee for Barrie Brown Pontiac. The way that GM cut their dealerships is B.S. The way it was supposed to be done was to look at past performance, viability for the future, customer satisfaction etc. The deadline for decisions was moved ahead by nearly two weeks and it seems that someone at the top just decided to axe all the Pontiac Dealers. Simple, right?
Wrong, we have been a Triple Crown dealer always being in the top five in customer satisfaction. Our dealer principal had bought new land and had all permits in place for a new multimillion dollar franchise. There is a Chevrolet dealer in the same town with no plans other than taking over our franchise. My question is: Why would the government (us as tax payers) loan GM money when te are making bad decisions like this? When a company is trying to rebuild itself, wouldn't you want to keep your top dealers who are willing and already starting to build for the future?
PS.... I removed all the magnetic signs that said "I AM FOR GM" and tossed them in the garbage.
Thankfully, our owner is not ready to retire. I am now looking forward to bigger and better things here in Campbell River.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1808 posts
302 upvotes
barrynash wrote: I am an employee for Barrie Brown Pontiac. The way that GM cut their dealerships is B.S. The way it was supposed to be done was to look at past performance, viability for the future, customer satisfaction etc. The deadline for decisions was moved ahead by nearly two weeks and it seems that someone at the top just decided to axe all the Pontiac Dealers. Simple, right?
Wrong, we have been a Triple Crown dealer always being in the top five in customer satisfaction. Our dealer principal had bought new land and had all permits in place for a new multimillion dollar franchise. There is a Chevrolet dealer in the same town with no plans other than taking over our franchise. My question is: Why would the government (us as tax payers) loan GM money when te are making bad decisions like this? When a company is trying to rebuild itself, wouldn't you want to keep your top dealers who are willing and already starting to build for the future?
PS.... I removed all the magnetic signs that said "I AM FOR GM" and tossed them in the garbage.
Thankfully, our owner is not ready to retire. I am now looking forward to bigger and better things here in Campbell River.
GM has been making bad decisions for the past 2 decades, so why stop now?

I'm guessing your Pontiac dealership is on the hit-list because they are doing away with that brand and no other reason than that alone. Really too bad if it was a profitable business to begin with. One would think that the non-profitable ones would be the first to go, and that the profitable ones could be re-branded. Apparently not the case.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4112 posts
1366 upvotes
Ottawa
barrynash wrote: I am an employee for Barrie Brown Pontiac. The way that GM cut their dealerships is B.S. The way it was supposed to be done was to look at past performance, viability for the future, customer satisfaction etc. The deadline for decisions was moved ahead by nearly two weeks and it seems that someone at the top just decided to axe all the Pontiac Dealers. Simple, right?
A very unfortunate story. I suppose that the logic is that Chevrolet buyers are more likely to keep buying at the Chevrolet dealership to which they've become accustomed and, since Chev will be surviving. I'm not saying that I fully agree with the decision in this case but I understand.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote
sorry for your loss.
you should channel your anger and frustration into an anti-GM campaign, and do EVERYTHING you can to take down the company who shut your dealership down.

Tell all your friends and family not to support their product, and tell them to pass on that advice to everyone they know.

It is unfortunate that your dealership had good performance numbers and still got chopped. But you can get them back.

When they finally fall, you can smile and say you were a part of tearing them down.
Would you be willing to pay $58 more for an iPod produced in North America?

My Answer: NO. I get the same Ipod with the same functionality...where is the the benefit to me? As, I've said before, I will get more out of my $58 dollars by lighting it on fire, because it will produce heat. If I wipe my a$$ with that $58 dollars, I will need to buy less toilet paper. IF I buy the made in North America Ipod for $58 more, I get absolutely nothing more out of it.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
What's to complain about? Pontiac turned out to be an unsustainable brand and now it's being axed. Chevrolet is still sustainable and it keeps chugging along. It's unfortunate your dealership was producing good numbers but there's no point having a pontiac dealership when there won't be any pontiacs for sale in the future.

It's a fact of life, you could have been a superstar within your department, but if the dept gets cut, you get cut.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Dec 12, 2007
774 posts
3 upvotes
Nanaimo
I don't have much more to add, but welcome to RFD from a VW employee in Courtenay. I've been to your dealership before.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4112 posts
1366 upvotes
Ottawa
help_questions wrote: sorry for your loss.
you should channel your anger and frustration into an anti-GM campaign, and do EVERYTHING you can to take down the company who shut your dealership down.

Tell all your friends and family not to support their product, and tell them to pass on that advice to everyone they know.

It is unfortunate that your dealership had good performance numbers and still got chopped. But you can get them back.

When they finally fall, you can smile and say you were a part of tearing them down.
I would suggest that there are many more constructive things that one could do with one's life than act on this advice - effectively acting out an obsessive revenge fantasy.

But, hey, everybody needs a hobby. :rolleyes:
Dec 2, 2003
742 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
help_questions wrote: sorry for your loss.

So about 1/4 of workers at GM dealerships will lose their jobs and your suggestion is to make sure the other 3/4 also lose their jobs (as well as many, many more) by trying to kill the company.

That sounds like a really smart idea :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2815 posts
197 upvotes
SkiD wrote: So about 1/4 of workers at GM dealerships will lose their jobs and your suggestion is to make sure the other 3/4 also lose their jobs (as well as many, many more) by trying to kill the company.

That sounds like a really smart idea :rolleyes:
lol

this company is insolvent and won't last very much longer!

those 3/4 will lose their jobs anyways!

anyways, what methods did GM use to determine who to cut and who not to cut? how could a dealership with good performance be cut? unless the dealerships around it have better performance.
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
I am very curious to see what will happen in Lindsay Ont/town of only 17k ..part of Kawartha Lakes which is perhaps 60k+

Boyer Chev opened a new multi million dollar Chev dealership here a few yrs ago.....The Pontiac dealer is just FINISHING a new multi million dollar dealership which they move into by June 1 apparently!! Talk about timing...

Scary stuff...how could they both stay open? I just don;t see it happening.
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)