Hot Deals

[GM Canada] GM: 500$ Costco card with purchase (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2019 2:48 pm
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
153 upvotes
York, ON
Took family member to look at Volt and Bolt, they were pricing them like diamonds. Asking for $45k OTD for premier model Volt. No price wiggle room except incentives and mentioned Costco members get $500 off. Ya right, $45k for a phev the size of a corolla. No thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3657 posts
1477 upvotes
London, ON
Polymertank wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 4:27 pm
GM dealers always have a full lot, which is why they always have these kind of 'nice' offer. Good makes like Toyota and Honda don't need huge discount to get rid of inventories. New cars are always flying off their lot.
Yes I agree, a co-worker does security at one of the Cami sites which has thousands of vehicles just sitting there to be picked up/ordered by the dealerships. Mind you they’re all Equinox lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2748 posts
476 upvotes
Ajax
Wait til the bulk of the products get into the market that were produced at any facility scheduled to close. You think quality is questionable now... I wouldn't want anything built in 2018 2019 from GM . Can you imagine the things half assembled or what they have left inside the dash!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9457 posts
2090 upvotes
ben2003 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:26 pm
got a email from my local GM dealer. Costco member are now eligible to get preferential price plus 500 costco card.

not sure if Costco get rid of Ford now...

https://www.hamelchevrolet.ca/eng/
Thanks for posting.

Lots of hate here - people like to dump on GM right now.

Looking for a new car for my daughter. She is looking at the Cruze for sure.
Sep 20, 2015
23 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto, ON
poopooplatter wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:59 pm
I have what might be stupid question, but why would anyone buy a new GM vehicle, every, under any circumstance? I mean, with VW, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, etc, and dozen of options in each segment, it makes no sense. They're not the cheapest, not the best quality, not the best looking, not the most reliable. They make literally the worst vehicles. I don't understand how this company is even around anymore. It just seems like inertia at this point.
You are obviously uninformed.

GM has plenty of cars and trucks recommended in Consumers Reports. GM has won Motor Trend car of the year 4 times in the last 10 years and truck of the year 3 times in the last 10 years.

Are they the best at everything nope. But lots of good and I love my Silverado and my wife loves her Volt.
Feb 14, 2016
15 posts
6 upvotes
Kevin2112 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 7:10 pm
You are obviously uninformed.

GM has plenty of cars and trucks recommended in Consumers Reports. GM has won Motor Trend car of the year 4 times in the last 10 years and truck of the year 3 times in the last 10 years.

Are they the best at everything nope. But lots of good and I love my Silverado and my wife loves her Volt.
You should try driving a Toyota Tundra, way better than a Silverado. And a volt? Yikes, isn't that thing going extinct this year?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
1154 posts
1323 upvotes
Pointe Claire
Love my Equinox! Too bad the haters can't downvote this post...lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9457 posts
2090 upvotes
C21H30O2 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 7:32 pm
You should try driving a Toyota Tundra, way better than a Silverado.
In what way is it "way better"? It's a distant 4th or 5th in sales.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1226 posts
313 upvotes
Edmonton
User131439 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 3:02 pm
Yep. Had a '18 Colorado. Was back at the dealer 3 times in a month for issues. Took a huge loss, but glad I unloaded it for a different brand. Not worth the freaking hassle..
Crazy. I've got a 2019 zr2. Zero issues thus far

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1520 posts
1775 upvotes
Toronto
freewheelin76 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:15 pm
Crazy. I've got a 2019 zr2. Zero issues thus far
Give it a few months lol... joking aside, I know most cars has their own problems... I've got a 2012 x5 diesel, within the last 12 months, been in the shop for 4 months. 12k repair bill of which bmw agreed to cover about half. nothing beats a old generation toyota with zero electronics for reliability. But is the x5 a great car to drive? yes. is the x5 better then any GM car i've ever drove? yes.

99% of the GM cars are just not reliable and not attractive...
Driven a brand new CTS, did a few doughnuts, power steering broke. Friend's focus rs blew an engine cause the factory installed the wrong head gasket. Neighbour's F150 leaking oil all over the driveway. Driven many rentals but I've only been impressed with Hyundai's given to me, never the GM rentals.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9457 posts
2090 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:51 pm
99% of the GM cars are just not reliable and not attractive...
Driven a brand new CTS, did a few doughnuts, power steering broke. Friend's focus rs blew an engine cause the factory installed the wrong head gasket. Neighbour's F150 leaking oil all over the driveway. Driven many rentals but I've only been impressed with Hyundai's given to me, never the GM rentals.
What you are saying is completely unsubstantiated by any data from any publication. GM is generally average reliability and quality.

Whatever. Dump away on GM and pile on. Cool thing to do.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1520 posts
1775 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:22 pm
What you are saying is completely unsubstantiated by any data from any publication. GM is generally average reliability and quality.

Whatever. Dump away on GM and pile on. Cool thing to do.
Personal experiences. Dont need some guy who gets paid to write car reviews to tell me GM car is great. Just cause its published doesnt mean its true.
Jan 18, 2011
90 posts
140 upvotes
montreal
Playing devil’s advocate here due to the uneccessary hate on GM.

You are all aware GM outsold retail all manufacturers in Canada 2 years in a row right? They finished 2017 and 2018 #1 in retail sales nationwide over honda ford mazda toyota.. so the haters can say what they want, GM is actually doing a better performance than the people in this forum thinking Toyota Honda are far more superior without facts..

Also on the Costco deal, i believe its not just a 500$ costco card. You get preferred pricing which ends up up to 2000$-7000$ discount depending on the model (from equinox to yukon).

So basically you get preferred pricing (2000$-7000$ off) + 500$ costco card.. the previous Ford partnership with costco was only 1000$ off your car..

Just my 2 cents since i see all the unecessary hate in this thread when the deal is actually a good deal.

*i do not work for GM but have connections in automotive industry*
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2928 posts
486 upvotes
Friends don't let friends buy GM PERIOD

My dads 1980 Pontiac that he bought second hand in 94 lasted us till 2000. So it was a solid car, never bought GM after that.
Nov 23, 2014
213 posts
117 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
jcon wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 3:41 pm
Here's the small print from http://www.costcoauto.ca/ComingSoon.aspx:

*To qualify for the preferred pricing, you must be a Canadian resident holding a valid driver’s license and been a Costco member since January 4, 2019 or earlier and must: (1) Register with the Costco Auto Program to receive your non-transferable Authorization Number; (2) Present the Authorization Number to a participating dealer; (3) Retail purchase, finance or lease and take delivery of an eligible new in-stock 2019 Chevrolet: Equinox (excludes LS), Tahoe, Traverse, Trax (excludes LS) and Suburban; Buick: Encore (excludes Preferred) , Enclave and Envision; GMC: Acadia, Terrain, Yukon and Yukon XL; or Cadillac: Escalade, Escalade ESV, XT4 (excludes Luxury) and XT5 between Jan. 5, 2019, and Feb. 28, 2019. In addition, to receive a $500 Costco Cash Card by e-mail, submit a redemption form to Costco within thirty (30) days of vehicle delivery and complete a Costco Auto Program member satisfaction survey. Please allow three weeks for Costco Cash Card delivery, pending completion of all eligibility requirements; including redemption form submission, purchase verification and survey completion. Not compatible with some other GM Canada incentives.

For full program details and for any applicable exclusions see a participating dealer or costcoauto.ca/GM. For Costco Cash Card terms and conditions, visit Costco.ca and search “Cash Card”.

Tax, title, registration and license fees are not included in the preferred pricing. Offer is valid at participating authorized GM Canada dealers. Offer not available in the U.S. and Mexico. The Winter Sales Event is subject to change without notice. Void where prohibited. Costco and its affiliates do not sell automobiles or negotiate individual transactions.
Minus the bickering, this is what really kills the deal. No EVs, and no Trucks which are subjectively the better side of GM.

I bet all the bad PR is why Costco is hesitant to announce their new partnership. They may even be panicking to find another partner. I myself would prefer if they could change to the program available in the US where they sign up top tier dealerships of ANY brand, you can even buy used/CPO.