Hot Deals

[GM Canada] GM: 500$ Costco card with purchase (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2019 2:48 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
3771 posts
563 upvotes
MusicEveryday wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:00 am
Minus the bickering, this is what really kills the deal. No EVs, and no Trucks which are subjectively the better side of GM.

I bet all the bad PR is why Costco is hesitant to announce their new partnership. They may even be panicking to find another partner. I myself would prefer if they could change to the program available in the US where they sign up top tier dealerships of ANY brand, you can even buy used/CPO.
I agree but trucks get heavily discounted quickly anyhow. There are always lots of promos. But it would be nice if you could just walk in, get the deal and leave, rather than the back-and-forth negotiating.
Sep 9, 2015
630 posts
315 upvotes
Nanaimo
Ford gives $1000 through Costco, GM won't even match that lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1145 posts
282 upvotes
S0lidus wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:59 am
The cheaper Ford vehicles only 500, and some get none at all, still better though.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1318 posts
733 upvotes
They’d have to give me about $50,000 cash to buy a GM lol
Jan 18, 2011
90 posts
140 upvotes
montreal
S0lidus wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:59 am
Its not just a 500$ costco card. You get preferred pricing which ends up up to 2000$-7000$ discount depending on the model (from equinox to yukon).

So basically you get preferred pricing (2000$-7000$ off) + 500$ costco card.. the previous Ford partnership with costco was only 1000$ off your car..

The offer is better than Ford.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9453 posts
2087 upvotes
phamou wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:30 pm
Its not just a 500$ costco card. You get preferred pricing which ends up up to 2000$-7000$ discount depending on the model (from equinox to yukon).

So basically you get preferred pricing (2000$-7000$ off) + 500$ costco card.. the previous Ford partnership with costco was only 1000$ off your car..

The offer is better than Ford.
Interesting. Thanks.

I wonder how long this will run.
Apr 13, 2017
132 posts
103 upvotes
Winnipeg
kool1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:22 pm
What you are saying is completely unsubstantiated by any data from any publication. GM is generally average reliability and quality.

Whatever. Dump away on GM and pile on. Cool thing to do.

It's not really unsubstantiated.. GM's have a horrible reliability record over the last 10 years (excluding the Silverado) my mother in law has a 2015 Trax AWD and while not the most expensive car it's been in the shop no less than 20 times for repairs including having her oil pan fall off her car driving down the highway... It has under 30,000 KM on it and she drives like a grandma.. Clearly well built car, oh not to mention the shop mechanics installing a damaged part they pulled from a different car because they "mistook it" which left her crawling into Winnipeg because she couldn't go faster than 60.. Another person I know had a Impala SS and the transmission went on it 4 times in a year (he know owns a Ford and has had far less problems). It sounds more like your happy to ignore the poor workmanship, terrible internal operations etc that put GM in the position it was where it needed a bail out and where its happily ready to put itself in again (Oh and lets also not forget how shady they are by trying to claim that they arent the same company as before the bail out so they shouldn't be responsible or held liable for the ignition failure class action suit)

I've also had two GM rentals, 1 of them broke down 3 blocks from the rental agency (plus side? I got the rental comp'd for the week) the other was a Cruz with the Premier trim and it felt cheap and (aside from not getting anywhere near its advertised fuel economy with me feathering the gas) sounded like it was paired by a rabid pair of squirrels

You know what isn't the cool thing to do? Be a fan boy .. The cool thing is to be able to recognize when a Brand has major issues.. and GM does, but much like Apple they have fan boys ready to ignore every single fault (even the ones who have gotten people killed) cause 'MURICA and all that garbage
Jun 29, 2011
212 posts
58 upvotes
NEPEAN
C21H30O2 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 7:04 pm
I've driven many new American cars (rentals). They all suck and many even have that utterly stupid auto shutoff feature which you CANNOT turn off. The European and Japanese markets are where it's at!
Reminds me of a rental - a PT Cruiser - where they put the windows control for driver in the centre console with the audio stuffs - which is stupid from a usability standpoint. I actually had to look for them, what's wrong with them near what they are supposed to be controlling?
Nov 23, 2014
213 posts
117 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Zork1984 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 2:52 pm
Reminds me of a rental - a PT Cruiser - where they put the windows control for driver in the centre console with the audio stuffs - which is stupid from a usability standpoint. I actually had to look for them, what's wrong with them near what they are supposed to be controlling?
Ahhhhhhhh not a PT cruiser... worst car rental 'upgrade' ever. Asked for an econobox, got a PT cruiser as an 'upgrade' because they were all out of econoboxes

On topic: To be constructive I have submitted formal feedback to Costco about 'expanding' the program.
May 30, 2015
572 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ben2003 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:26 pm
got a email from my local GM dealer. Costco member are now eligible to get preferential price plus 500 costco card.

not sure if Costco get rid of Ford now...

https://www.hamelchevrolet.ca/eng/
good timing, thanks OP !
Sep 30, 2001
27372 posts
6366 upvotes
Toronto
If you wish to shake your fist and shout into the void over how terrible GM is and Oshawa must be vindicated, please visit this thread: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/gm-clos ... s-2242729/
If you wish to discuss how terrible GM products are and how you'll be a terrible person for buying one, please visit this forum: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/automotive-f40/

If you wish to actually talk about .. the deal please remain in this thread.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9453 posts
2087 upvotes
RobertL059 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:52 pm
It's not really unsubstantiated.. GM's have a horrible reliability record over the last 10 years.
Please provide a source.

I think an extra $500 from Costco is better than none and I have never had any major issues with my GM cars.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1520 posts
1775 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:31 am
Please provide a source.

I think an extra $500 from Costco is better than none and I have never had any major issues with my GM cars.
Agreed! Just got an email from Costco about this EXCLUSIVE OFFER on SUVs & Crossovers. Includes the following models!

Chev Traverse, seating for up to eight! Maximize performance in varying road conditions with available Switchable AWD and Traction Mode Select. You know nothing handles better than this awesome 8 seater.

Buick Encore, The Buick Encore offers nimble handling and interior noise-cancellation with available comforts such as heated steering wheel, heated front seats and in-vehicle air purification system. This little car comes with its own air filter to help you with GTA Smog. What more can you ask for

Cadillac XT5, If you want to make a statement every time you arrive at your destination, look no further than the Cadillac XT5. Because everyone will look at you with their Jaws open as you drive up in a Cadillac! Especially in the GTA area!

GMC Terrain Denali! small SUVs with a striking exterior design and a powerful 2.0-litre turbocharged engine that delivers an estimated 11.2/9.0 L/100 KM . How can you say no to OEM BOOST! say bye bye to vtech.

+ many more models...

Hurry up before they run out of cars for you, you know... rfd effect... I can already see long line ups and people camping out at the dealerships. But rest assured, none of these models are made in the GM plants that are being closed off so supply shouldn't be a problem.

Most of these cars also exist in Consumer Report survey done in Oct 2018... so buy with confidence!

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... able-cars/
Mar 18, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
Is this $500 at Costco Mexico? Shame on GM Canada already bailed these jokers out. I will never buy GM.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3692 posts
915 upvotes
Ottawa
A lot of GM hate here. Not surprised - people are passionate about their cars.

Is this a good deal? Not really. Is it enough to convince me to buy one of the vehicles on this list? Not really. Still, it's a decent little bonus if I was in the market for one of these vehicles.

I'm not right now but neither am I allergic to GM. I'm unhappy that they're closing their Oshawa plant but I understand the economics of this business and, frankly, GM is doing exactly what every other auto manufacturer is doing. I will absolutely consider a General Motors vehicle if it delivers what I am looking for whenever I am in the market.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)