• Oct 29th, 2019 6:43 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 19, 2019
1039 posts
1285 upvotes
LOL@ Your Angry Inch…

Gmail customers could soon be forced to pay after some storage plans reduced

Gmail customers are being warned to pay attention to the fine print following Google's decision to restrict 'free data'.

According to Bloomberg, "The Alphabet Inc unit has whittled down some free storage offers in recent months while prodding more users toward a new paid cloud subscription called Google One".

"When people hit those caps, they realise they have little choice but to start paying or risk losing access to emails, photos and personal documents," technology writer Gerrit De Vynck said.

Chromebook and Pixel 4 phone customers have also found their free data allowance disappearing, or no longer offered.
Chromebook users used to be eligible for 100 gigs for free over two years, however in May 2019 that was reduced to one.

To check your Gmail account status and view the latest storage plans and prices visit the Google website.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/10/g ... for-gmail/
https://7news.com.au/technology/gmail-c ... s-c-526670
U still have to pay for goods/services U agreed to — even if U did so only unconsciously.
A Visa Canada survey of web shoppers, 1 in 4 said they read all the online text. 50% skimmed it & 27% Read Nothing at all before accepting a tainted offer.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
And then there's this butthole over there with a $5 business account, and 1.8 petabytes stored.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4665 posts
4718 upvotes
Vancouver
This story seems a little unclear. Google currently provides a basic 15 Gbytes free for a combination of Gmail and other storage like photos. I don't see any announcement about them rolling that back. Personally the Gmail accounts I use are all under 5 Gbytes currently. The story seems to be that they are limiting some of the extra free storage options, like that offered to Pixel phone purchasers. Hard to say, since I don't see any other sources, and one of the two links given is currently down.

I don't doubt that Google is prepared to be disruptive now that they've achieved dominance. Last year they cut off free access to Google Maps for applications and web sites, resulting in the widespread appearance of greyed-out maps and error messages you may have seen.