• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2018 12:25 pm
[OP]
Oct 28, 2010
62 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto

God of War Release Date Officially Confirmed

People of PlayStation the world over, God of War is launching April 20, 2018.

I would love to write a long blog post here but, apparently, I have a game to get done by 4/20 so I gotta get back to work as soon as possible.

First, let me say that this is my favorite release day of my entire career. If I live to be 100, I do not think I will be able to top this release day.

There has been a long journey just to reach this point, so it’s a little bittersweet to think that we are only a few months away from that journey finally coming to an end. While I am sad, I am also excited because it means everyone will get their hands on this crazy adventure we have been crafting for nearly five years!

Speaking of trailers. Yeah, I just lost interest finding an elegant way to get here from the last paragraph so I just went for it. That is just how I roll. I really am ecstatic that I can finally show you this beautiful trailer we have been cooking up in the creative kitchens of Santa Monica Studio headquarters. It will give you more insight on why Kratos and Atreus are going on their journey as well as provide a glimpse at some new bits of action.

I love this trailer. After I saw it, I pre-ordered the game.

So, April 20, 2018…mark the date on your calendar, people. Clear that schedule, tell your significant other they are wonderful, because that is always a nice thing to do, and then wonder what you will do with all that free time you have now that you don’t need to keep asking me when the release date is.

Thank you everyone for your continued support of our game-making addiction. I will do my best to keep sharing information as we head towards launch.

…But wait, there’s more! I’m proud to share our limited Collector’s Editions and Digital Deluxe Edition, whose every component is connected back to the Norse universe and story of our game.

I should first mention, if you pre-order any edition (or already did) at a supporting retailer, you’ll acquire these three legendary shield skins (which you’ll need internet connectivity to access!) for Kratos to bash and defend against all manner of creatures we created in the brutal Norse wilds.

If you pre-order any edition at GameStop or EB Games, you’ll also receive Luck of Ages XP Boost, which grants +10 Luck and has 1 Enchantment Slot.

Luck influences the following:

Increase XP gain
Increase Hacksilver gain
Increase the ability to trigger Perks

Image Collector’s Edition | $129.99 USD/$169.99 CAD The 9’’ statue was crafted by our team in collaboration with the incredible folks at Gentle Giant. The cloth map is a unique companion to your journey, and an art piece on its own. The Huldra Bros carvings pack as much detail as their personas do in game. Just a few of the highlights, not to mention the digital items as well!

Image Stone Mason Edition | $149.99 USD/$199.99 CAD (EB Games Exclusive in Canada) Available in the US and Canada only, this edition includes everything in the Collector’s Edition along with four very distinct, rare items directly from the game. You might recognize Atreus’ wooden Horse and Troll carvings from our E3 2016 debut. They complete the collection with the Huldra Bros, btw. The Stone Mason Ring is a finely crafted piece of jewelry, whose story we won’t spoil. The talking Mimir Head keychain may be your personal favorite after you interact with him in game. Massive credit to Gentle Giant capturing the exquisite detail of these!

Image Digital Deluxe Edition | $69.99USD/$89.99 CAD If digital only is king for you, we didn’t forget. Adorn the legendary Death’s Vow Armor Set to increase your strength, and honor the solemn promise that sends Kratos and Atreus on their journey through the Norse wilds of Midgard and beyond. The digital comic book from Dark Horse, Issue #0 starts to unearth the story of Kratos before his quest with Atreus begins. Not to mention both the digital comic and mini art book will come with exclusive creator commentary tracks.

Finally, available to addresses in the US and Canada only, pre-order this Digital Deluxe beauty to get a sweet, exclusive, shiny, limited-run God of War physical pin.
Playstation Blog
Last edited by GHO5T on Jan 23rd, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
172 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6518 posts
2075 upvotes
Looks interesting. I'll get into this after a price drop!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1996 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
Finally a release date! Got this pre-ordered during Amazon's $50 E3 promo.

But knowing Amazon...I probably won't receive it until May.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10052 posts
2010 upvotes
Victoria
I wonder if Sony is ever going to do a spend $100 get $15 thing. They used to do it 3 or 4 times a year, but it feels like its been a while. The last special they had was buy 3 games full price and get a 20% off coupon for other stuff. Not nearly as useful :(
Mar 1, 2016
59 posts
60 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote: Finally a release date! Got this pre-ordered during Amazon's $50 E3 promo.

But knowing Amazon...I probably won't receive it until May.
My feelings exactly. I pre ordered at $50 with Amazon back at E3 but am doubtful I will get it on release. Being a Friday, probably won't see it till a week later. So I've gone ahead and ordered the Collector's set from Best Buy and will sell the Amazon copy on Kijiji. :)
[OP]
Oct 28, 2010
62 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
The Stone Mason edition sold out pretty fast on EBGames.

I went with the Collector's Edition from Amazon and was able to get a prime discount.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5710 posts
1450 upvotes
Milton
Was hoping it was an articulating action figure. will pass on it and get the regular version
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1847 upvotes
Ajax
GHO5T wrote: The Stone Mason edition sold out pretty fast on EBGames.

I went with the Collector's Edition from Amazon and was able to get a prime discount.
There was no prime discount on limited or collector's editions. proof please?

I am tempted but have been so disappointed with so many of these editions over the years. Really, where do all of the statues go? Unless you have a man cave to display them, you are basically f-ed. I'll go with the E3 promo edition. ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
i'm sure the graphics will be amazing and will include a decent gameplay
I however want nothing to do with Kratos or this lore after playing GoW 1-3 + Acension...this is definitely a franchise that has overstayed its welcome
If I get the game i'lll probably just skip every cut scene
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8351 posts
5163 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote: i'm sure the graphics will be amazing and will include a decent gameplay
I however want nothing to do with Kratos or this lore after playing GoW 1-3 + Acension...this is definitely a franchise that has overstayed its welcome
Acesnsion is 5 years old and was garbage, GOW3 was the last actually good game and that's 8 years old now. I don't know how you can say it has overstayed its welcome when the previous entries are that old and were spread years apart across 2 generations. Even if you do feel that way, this new game looks absolutely nothing like the previous to the point that I'm not even sure I'm interested despite being a fan of those old games. Not sure what to think of this old wise man Kratos and son story that looks like it's trying to ride the wave TLOU started
[OP]
Oct 28, 2010
62 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: There was no prime discount on limited or collector's editions. proof please?

I am tempted but have been so disappointed with so many of these editions over the years. Really, where do all of the statues go? Unless you have a man cave to display them, you are basically f-ed. I'll go with the E3 promo edition. ;)

It wasn't listed so I asked customer support and they honored it.

https://i.imgur.com/epEc0Rj.png
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
4925 posts
3309 upvotes
Toronto and London
twitchyzero wrote: i'm sure the graphics will be amazing and will include a decent gameplay
Disagreed wholeheartedly.

I want more games like this, especially if there is a narrative focus.

Kratos is a staple of the playstation brand and I hope it doesn't change.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1847 upvotes
Ajax
GHO5T wrote: It wasn't listed so I asked customer support and they honored it.

https://i.imgur.com/epEc0Rj.png
Good find but they generally do not do limited editions. That's a well known fact with Amazon, Best Buy ,etc. You got someone overseas that must have been new. lol I guess $17 off is better than nothing but still yet another over bloated limited edition.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10052 posts
2010 upvotes
Victoria
I like all the GoW games. I can't believe it took this long to get one on the ps4, but I'm looking forward to it.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Acesnsion is 5 years old and was garbage, GOW3 was the last actually good game and that's 8 years old now. I don't know how you can say it has overstayed its welcome when the previous entries are that old and were spread years apart across 2 generations. Even if you do feel that way, this new game looks absolutely nothing like the previous to the point that I'm not even sure I'm interested despite being a fan of those old games. Not sure what to think of this old wise man Kratos and son story that looks like it's trying to ride the wave TLOU started
i played Gow 1+2 in 720p on PS3 almost back to back, then maybe 6 months and a year later played Gow 3, few years later Acension

gameplay was fun but playing the arrogant egotistic roid monkey got old, fast

this new one looks too similar in narrative to what Horizon Zero Dawn was trying to achieve...why so serious

if i want something in that vein i will just play a Naughty Dog game or heartfelt indies...i just wish they would at least attempt a new IP entirely by themselves instead of these 'safe' projects (Rapture and The Order were good tries)

i mean i will still probably play it at some point because my playstation has become a glorified dust collector, but i'd rather see something like a new Dante's Inferno if Visceral was still around
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8351 posts
5163 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote: i played Gow 1+2 in 720p on PS3 almost back to back, then maybe 6 months and a year later played Gow 3, few years later Acension

gameplay was fun but playing the arrogant egotistic roid monkey got old, fast

this new one looks too similar in narrative to what Horizon Zero Dawn was trying to achieve...why so serious

if i want something in that vein i will just play a Naughty Dog game or heartfelt indies...i just wish they would at least attempt a new IP entirely by themselves instead of these 'safe' projects (Rapture and The Order were good tries)

i mean i will still probably play it at some point because my playstation has become a glorified dust collector, but i'd rather see something like a new Dante's Inferno if Visceral was still around
Same I played the collection on PS3 and also the PSP ones over the span of a few years but they were all so short (30-40 hours all games combined?) and it has been long enough that I'd welcome it if it's good. I'm just not sure what I think of the tone in the trailers. I enjoyed those games for the ignorant over the top violence and not so serious tone. I also hope it doesnt try to overstay it's welcome by being too deep because the previous games were good for being short romps.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9140 posts
3553 upvotes
The criticism of Kratos in previous God of War games is that he has no charisma and ultimately unlikable due to being perpetually angry all the time with a one-track mind.
This one is set after God of War 3 and Kratos crossed worlds into Norse Mythology.

It seems Kratos started a new family. He accidentally killed his old one which was one of the sources of his rage directed against Ares/Zeus in the previous games.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1409 posts
461 upvotes
Leaked 10 minutes of gameplay highlights from the first opening 3 hours demonstrating combat and crafting. The combat looks much better than I thought it was going to be. Watch it before Sony takes it down. If it gets taken down then just google search for another video.