Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
330 posts
99 upvotes

Godaddy auto renewed my service and charged $300 without notifying me

Hello,

Today, I've got my credit card bill and I found out that there's a charge from godaddy $308 for renewing my service. The date indicates April 30. They charged me $308 2 months ago without notifying me. The strange part is that I've got the email from godaddy last week notifying my domain being expired but I've never got the email about renewing hosting service.

I talked to the agent and requested cancelling the transaction but they are not going to refund my money because it's passed 30 days and insisting they sent me emails . I told them I just found out the transaction was made and furthermore, "the transaction made without notifying customers isn't valid, your return policy is not applicable in this situation" but they are quiet firm sticking to there return policy.

Is it possible to cancel the service and get my money back?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
Godaddy is set to auto-renew by default unless you change the setting, and they insist on keeping your credit card on file - they won't allow you to remove it. In other words, they're a pretty shady outfit - but I think everyone knows that, right?

However you are responsible for knowing when your service agreement expires or auto-renews, and you know there's going to be a massive price increase the 2nd year. I don't think you'll have much luck getting the charge reversed just because you weren't paying attention.
Nov 19, 2011
292 posts
66 upvotes
Calgary
I would first contact go daddy see if they will do something, next is try credit card company. I hate that a lot of companies will put auto renewal as default, as such I'm willing to bet credit card companies will side with the consumers in cases like this since they probable have a nice way of handling it by now with there agreements with the sellers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
testmann wrote: Hello,

Today, I've got my credit card bill and I found out that there's a charge from godaddy $308 for renewing my service. The date indicates April 30. They charged me $308 2 months ago without notifying me. The strange part is that I've got the email from godaddy last week notifying my domain being expired but I've never got the email about renewing hosting service.

I talked to the agent and requested cancelling the transaction but they are not going to refund my money because it's passed 30 days and insisting they sent me emails . I told them I just found out the transaction was made and furthermore, "the transaction made without notifying customers isn't valid, your return policy is not applicable in this situation" but they are quiet firm sticking to there return policy.

I think the only way is to dispute the charge through Visa.
I would suggest to all members a way dealing with contracts or deals having major increase after renewal. There is no need to cancel the credit card. Ask your credit card company to issue another card of different number. That has the effect of cancelling the direct debit info of the service (you may regret).
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
330 posts
99 upvotes
Thanks guys for your comments.
I just talked to a credit card agent but basically they will do nothing about it. Even worse, they will charge the interest even though the transaction is on dispute if I don't make a payment on a due date.

The worst thing is that godaddy.com charged me in US dollars.

239.76 USD, 1 USD=1.286995328 CAD
Includes 2.5 % conversion charge
Total C$ 308.57

It's Hudson's Bay card. That 2.5% conversion charge is insane...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
717 upvotes
testmann wrote: Thanks guys for your comments.
I just talked to a credit card agent but basically they will do nothing about it. Even worse, they will charge the interest even though the transaction is on dispute if I don't make a payment on a due date.

Total C$ 308.57

Time to change credit cards
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
330 posts
99 upvotes
rageking wrote: Time to change credit cards
Yup. That's what exactly said to the agent.

The combination of godaddy.com and Hudson's bay credit is by far the worst experience I've ever had.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
2.5% is the standard exchange fee charged by most credit cards. There are only a couple of exceptions (see the financial forum). It's also standard practice to charge interest on disputed items unless they agree to remove the charge up front. Better do some research before changing credit cards.

From all I've read and experienced personally over the years, credit card companies are extremely unhelpful with this type of issue. People generally seem to think that their credit card company will side with them in case of a dispute over a purchase, but for the most part that's seldom the case. The merchant is a much more important customer to the credit card company than you as an individual. Unless there is a clear case of error or fraud, and you're very patient and persistent, you are unlikely to get anywhere with a dispute. Usually the credit card company will try to discourage you from going ahead with a dispute, and if you insist they will ask you to submit a written claim that they will process in "4-6 weeks" (i.e., anything from a couple of months to never). It's almost always quicker and easier to pursue the matter directly with the merchant.

BTW, canceling a credit card will not get you off the hook for a subscription charge. The credit card company will put the charge through even though your card has been canceled, and send you the bill to be paid with interest. This came up prominently in the news here in Canada with regard to fitness companies that aggressively sign people up to a term contract with a hefty monthly fee, and then won't let them quit.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5648 posts
3568 upvotes
That is why you use PayPal.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28885 posts
9381 upvotes
Of course they will. Here's what you need to know about life, lol. You may win in a dispute against the company that charged you--that's not that hard. However if you go up against any bank or CC company, expect you will lose and lose badly. They make the rules and you follow them and that's pretty much how it goes. If you don't like it, I suggest you stay away from credit cards. Banks. Always. Win. Sad reality of the world.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
hvwozq wrote: That is why you use PayPal.
And yet with all the shortcomings of the credit card companies, still better than Paypal...
Apr 2, 2009
902 posts
189 upvotes
Markham
testmann wrote: Hello,

I've had similar situations with Register.com and other registrars.

At the end of the day it's my fault and your's as we don't pay attention when we're signing up for that cheap promo (we don't notice which boxes are automatically checked -- the box that says this plan will be renewed at a hugely inflated rate on x day -- this is how they can offer domains for $0.99 or web hosting for $5/year).

Consider it a lesson learned (as I did when I renewed my domain name at $35, when it could have been renewed for under $10) and move on.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
515 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Total C$ 308.57
Next time, print out the 'Fine Print' and highlight the areas indicating the auto-renewal date and new massive rate hikes about to take place and tape it to the inside of your closet door and aggressively plan ahead of time when to take pre-emptive action to not wake up one day and be surprised of what just took place.
Apply this plan to anything in life involving your credit cards and you will never be blindsided again.
This was totally preventable by you and now you have gained insight from the replies in this thread.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1972 posts
797 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
JamesA1 wrote: 2.5% is the standard exchange fee charged by most credit cards. There are only a couple of exceptions (see the financial forum). It's also standard practice to charge interest on disputed items unless they agree to remove the charge up front. Better do some research before changing credit cards.

From all I've read and experienced personally over the years, credit card companies are extremely unhelpful with this type of issue. People generally seem to think that their credit card company will side with them in case of a dispute over a purchase, but for the most part that's seldom the case. The merchant is a much more important customer to the credit card company than you as an individual. Unless there is a clear case of error or fraud, and you're very patient and persistent, you are unlikely to get anywhere with a dispute. Usually the credit card company will try to discourage you from going ahead with a dispute, and if you insist they will ask you to submit a written claim that they will process in "4-6 weeks" (i.e., anything from a couple of months to never). It's almost always quicker and easier to pursue the matter directly with the merchant.

BTW, canceling a credit card will not get you off the hook for a subscription charge. The credit card company will put the charge through even though your card has been canceled, and send you the bill to be paid with interest. This came up prominently in the news here in Canada with regard to fitness companies that aggressively sign people up to a term contract with a hefty monthly fee, and then won't let them quit.
I have only had one credit card dispute not go in my favour, ever... Including auto renewals of various types. I even had one time when I disputed Fortinoes for double billing, and then upon checking my receipts I realized I really did buy the exact same items twice in the same day. Despite contacting the credit card company immediately with my mistake, they still credited my account. The credit card company that did not honour my dispute or even investigate, citibank. I cancelled them the next billling cycle after giving myself time to cool off and evaluate if they were right.

That said I always go with evidence. For example when the tanning company kept billing me every month, I faxed the credit card company the contract where my wife had written do not renew, and they had wrote in a comment about how to process the contract... When the river rafting company left me stranded at the airport, withoutso much as a valid address or phone number, I sent the credit card company there confirmation they would pick us up anda copy of my boarding pass and hotel receipt for where I ended up staying...

If a credit card company won't at least do a good faith investigation, drop them. That said, I always pay the bill promptly, and if they put the charge on hold I leave the credit. That way itis clear it isnot about what I can afford, but what is right. Generally you should dispute within 90 days. 30 days is reasonable to see your statement. Another 30 days to try and negotiate a solution yourself. After 90 days you are pushing it. When I disputed the tanning I had to pay the first monthly renewal fee because it was past the 120 limit...
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11021 posts
2112 upvotes
Toronto
testmann wrote: Yup. That's what exactly said to the agent.

The combination of godaddy.com and Hudson's bay credit is by far the worst experience I've ever had.
:facepalm:

Why the hell are you using a department store card for something like that?

Now I've used godaddy a few times in the past and have always unchecked auto renew... It's right there it's not hidden unless they've changed that... I call this is not godaddys fault OP but yours for now reading and making sure, when I was a customer it was right there in plain English...
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
330 posts
99 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: :facepalm:

Why the hell are you using a department store card for something like that?

Now I've used godaddy a few times in the past and have always unchecked auto renew... It's right there it's not hidden unless they've changed that... I call this is not godaddys fault OP but yours for now reading and making sure, when I was a customer it was right there in plain English...
This comment looks very similar to what the godaddy agent have said during our initial conversation like being rude, know-it-all, and being an a-hole.... Just like he knows everything except he doesn't know anything... How pathetic.

To update my situation,
I was able to cancel the service and get the refund because I did turn off the auto-renew through the agent 2 years ago and he forgot to turn it off. The history of the conversation saved me big time. Thank you guys for your inputs except that guy.