Ongoing Deal Discussion

[GOG.com] [HOT][PC]Cyberpunk 2077 34CAD

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 12:12 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2018
135 posts
641 upvotes
Applesmack wrote: I don't think we have anything left to discuss.

As I said. Hopefully they lock the language per region.
I understand you disagree with the method but wishing language lock (that no developper do anymore) put you as same level of the mean people you're judging..

So please downvote and move on
Sr. Member
May 30, 2015
638 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Elrondolio wrote: As usual from the righteously offended (and now fervently praying) crowd: that doesn't make any freakin' sense. How would a "language lock" (whatever made up thing that is) that presumably stops 44 million English speaking Russian's from playing a game in, you know, English... make my blather less unbearable to you? See? It doesn't even work in prayed for theory. ;)
less than 8 million Russians have English as the first or second language btw. Not sure why you wrote 44 million. Oh and most Russians (like Chinese) prefer playing translated games. This is from someone who worked for Ubisoft for many years...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
Eli2015 wrote: less than 8 million Russians have English as the first or second language btw. Not sure why you wrote 44 million. Oh and most Russians (like Chinese) prefer playing translated games. This is from someone who worked for Ubisoft for many years...
According to multiple sources: Russia had just over 30% English speakers of varied ability in 2015, doubling to that rate since 2003 (16%). This has only increased in the last 5 years. Here is one source:

https://www.rbth.com/news/2015/12/03/pe ... -30_547189

Russia's estimated current population: 145,959,155. 30% of that population: 43,787,746, or near 44 million. Unlike some others here (this comment not direct at you), I don't just make stuff up. ;)
Member
Apr 8, 2015
219 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Using NordVPN and Ukraine and showing 29.99 for me?
Images
  • Capture.JPG
Member
Apr 8, 2015
219 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BaptisteD81634 wrote: It's usd
Is that normal and the right price? I was expecting it to show me the Ukraine currency and price so I can then convert that to CAD to see the correct price?
Jr. Member
User avatar
May 9, 2005
135 posts
33 upvotes
TORO
Thanks op, got it for 29 using Ukraine VPN
Sr. Member
May 30, 2015
638 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Elrondolio wrote: According to multiple sources: Russia had just over 30% English speakers of varied ability in 2015, doubling to that rate since 2003 (16%). This has only increased in the last 5 years. Here is one source:

https://www.rbth.com/news/2015/12/03/pe ... -30_547189

Russia's estimated current population: 145,959,155. 30% of that population: 43,787,746, or near 44 million. Unlike some others here (this comment not direct at you), I don't just make stuff up. ;)
using a language and understanding it is different:
Why do so few Russians speak good English?
Russians have been struggling with the English language for several generations now and just can't quite seem to master it. But why is learning English—often regarded as a relatively straightforward language—such a headache for many Russians? ...
https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/330073-w ... ak-english

List of countries by English-speaking population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... population
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
Eli2015 wrote: using a language and understanding it is different:
Why do so few Russians speak good English?
Russians have been struggling with the English language for several generations now and just can't quite seem to master it. But why is learning English—often regarded as a relatively straightforward language—such a headache for many Russians? ...
https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/330073-w ... ak-english

List of countries by English-speaking population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... population
May well be true, but doesn't change your original argument... there are far more than 8 million Russians that speak English: around 44 million of them in 2015 and many more now. How well and why is admittedly an interesting linguistic topic but completely immaterial to the hysterical point that a company should remove the English language from a game sold to well over 44 million Russians that actually do speak English to somehow punish Bob and Suzie here at RFD.
Newbie
Jul 5, 2010
47 posts
25 upvotes
Eli2015 wrote: using a language and understanding it is different:
Why do so few Russians speak good English?
Russians have been struggling with the English language for several generations now and just can't quite seem to master it. But why is learning English—often regarded as a relatively straightforward language—such a headache for many Russians? ...
https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/330073-w ... ak-english

List of countries by English-speaking population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... population
I am Russian speaking (from Belarus) and I should say probably 40% can not speak and write good Russian hahaha.
There are not many schools teaching English, there is not enough value seen in English, just lazy to learn a second language... It is something you have to force yourself to learn and need enough motivation for that. I see much more interest among adults who benefit from English at work. But they are adults playing catch up game. Younger folks just have different priorities.
In Canada French is second official language... How many people in non-French speaking envoronments do actually learn to speak French as second language? If they have a chance to play Eng version vs French, which one do you think kids would choose?
Member
Dec 20, 2018
247 posts
412 upvotes
Much, much less than 40%. Other than the advantages of French in the federal government and working in Quebec, that time learning French is better spent elsewhere if not actually interested in French, itself.

I'd be surprised if 5% of people outside of area with a majority French population could speak competently in French. Actually, let me change that to 2%.

I don't live in Winnipeg, but looking at spoken languages there I see Tagalog second only to English. If I'm speculating, I'd say the Tagalog figure is closer to reality than French as I'd guess there are people really overrating their French ability.
Member
Aug 17, 2018
215 posts
123 upvotes
Regional pricing is a moral crime... Then you have people saying: it's a business decision, corporations have no feelings, it's a common practice, they are still making money.

When an individual on internet takes advantage of this. Oh, it is a moral crime. Internet laws haven't caught up etc. How is this any different then crossing border, buying goods at duty free, or abroad and declaring. You pay your duties and enjoy the savings. Even better example. I bought number of items off Amazon USA site, some items unavailable in Canada, some just cheaper even after conversion and shipping. Nothing immoral about it. If anything the governments have to tax it like in analog world and shut up about it.
Member
May 29, 2018
259 posts
191 upvotes
Gonna be using this a lot I think, everything's so much cheaper
Newbie
Nov 26, 2015
12 posts
1 upvote
Nerds concerned about 'crunch' but have no problem ripping off CDPR who toiled for years to make one of the most anticipated games. Face With Tears Of Joy
I'm sure the cognitive dissonance is kicking in b/c the employees who crunched will be getting less in profit sharing as a result
Member
Aug 2, 2015
253 posts
180 upvotes
Paid the $89.99 because I'm not broke. The developers spent year making this. They deserve my money and yours. All of you trying to justify this is utterly embarassing.
Member
Apr 8, 2020
393 posts
356 upvotes
PeterG684243 wrote: Paid the $89.99 because I'm not broke. The developers spent year making this. They deserve my money and yours. All of you trying to justify this is utterly embarassing.
Congrats dude!

You going to play the game fully from atop your horse?
Newbie
Aug 28, 2017
26 posts
32 upvotes
PeterG684243 wrote: Paid the $89.99 because I'm not broke. The developers spent year making this. They deserve my money and yours. All of you trying to justify this is utterly embarassing.
why are you even on RFD?

Top