Ongoing Deal Discussion

[GOG.com] [HOT][PC]Cyberpunk 2077 34CAD

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 10:57 am
Mar 9, 2009
435 posts
369 upvotes
PeterG684243 wrote: Paid the $89.99 because I'm not broke. The developers spent year making this. They deserve my money and yours. All of you trying to justify this is utterly embarassing.
Were they not compensated for their time?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2157 posts
601 upvotes
Maple
So does this require a launcher or anything? Is there a pre load ?
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1878 posts
917 upvotes
mb
He sounds like someone that's trying to justify the fact that he paid full price.
Feb 13, 2011
857 posts
214 upvotes
Vancouver
pulled the trigger and $34.48 after conversion, thank you!
Sep 19, 2012
503 posts
266 upvotes
Kitchener
Ok you guys win. I'm not going to buy this game for 34CAD.

Instead I'm gonna work on my backlog of games or maybe spend more time with my family.

And you know what? By the time the game is on sale for $34CAD in a year from now legitimately? I probably won't give a shit about it because there won't be any hype.

So ya CDPR probably won't get any of my money, rather than $34.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
Tumdace wrote: Ok you guys win. I'm not going to buy this game for 34CAD.

Instead I'm gonna work on my backlog of games or maybe spend more time with my family.

And you know what? By the time the game is on sale for $34CAD in a year from now legitimately? I probably won't give a shit about it because there won't be any hype.

So ya CDPR probably won't get any of my money, rather than $34.
While I completely agree with your overall point here... you said, "By the time the game is on sale for $34CAD in a year from now legitimately". That word I take issue with. This game, today, is *legitimately* on sale for $34CAD after conversion - directly from the developer of this game (who owns GoG). You simply need to visit Russia, virtually or physically, to pay the price they are asking directly to them. That's what we're doing in this thread, literally. We are electronically traveling to Russian servers then visiting servers run by the developer to pay the developer. Again, that developer is based in Poland and they sell this game on their Russian servers for $34CAD after conversion (and again, CDPR owns GoG).

There is absolutely *nothing* illegal with this bog standard practice and no bloviating otherwise can change that, as those are the facts. There is no law one is breaking as some dream up, there is no internet rule one is breaking as some pretend, there is no technical hacking or other skullduggery as some may wish. This is as "legitimate" a practice as using a VPN to conduct business, trading and commerce inside Russia, China, Poland, etc and this is done by millions every day to the tune of billions of dollars exchanged every day in these countries.

Don't get brainwashed by a very few highly misinformed moral "crusaders" that have decided what *they* want you to do and how much *they* think this game is worth and how much *they* demand you pay for it (about as misguided and confused a moral stand as can be taken). There is no law broken, no civil rule or moral code broken. Period.
Last edited by Elrondolio on Nov 28th, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 26, 2007
970 posts
691 upvotes
PeterG684243 wrote: Paid the $89.99 because I'm not broke. The developers spent year making this. They deserve my money and yours. All of you trying to justify this is utterly embarassing.
Paying full price for things is how you get broke. If CDPR wants to rip off Canadians by pricing the game higher here than in Russia, you paying that price only justifies their logic.
Aug 19, 2019
127 posts
204 upvotes
I know lot of ppl are arguing about buying the game via VPN. Let me ask you this. Is purchasing from GOG.com via VPN illegal? I am pretty sure it's a no. So...
Sep 17, 2020
4 posts
5 upvotes
It’s not illegal, in the sense of being a criminal offence, but it is a breach of the contract you have with CDPR when you buy it, which explicitly states your agreement that you will not make purchases using a VPN.

So what are the potential penalties from breaching that contract? Realistically, having your account permanently locked.
Apr 21, 2012
513 posts
732 upvotes
Ontario
I'm curious how much CDPR is going to make from that vendors selling the game for $50 for Black Friday.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
DuckOnBike wrote: It’s not illegal, in the sense of being a criminal offence, but it is a breach of the contract you have with CDPR when you buy it, which explicitly states your agreement that you will not make purchases using a VPN.

So what are the potential penalties from breaching that contract? Realistically, having your account permanently locked.
What breach of contract? Where does it "explicitly state" in your agreement that you will not "make purchases using a VPN"? You can't make this stuff up.

GOG User Agreement
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articl ... roduct=gog
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
djlonestar wrote: No, GOG DRM only.
What? GOG *is not* a DRM'd platform. That's their entire philosophy and reason for being (created in direct reaction to Steam). No, if you buy this you can't play it on Steam... which *is* a locked down DRM platform.
May 5, 2010
119 posts
119 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: What? GOG *is not* a DRM'd platform. That's their entire philosophy and reason for being (created in direct reaction to Steam). No, if you buy this you can't play it on Steam... which *is* a locked down DRM platform.
Sorry, I meant to say game is only valid through GOG launcher.
Aug 3, 2014
237 posts
415 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Tried multiple credit cards and none went through, any one with same problem? I tried Rogers, Amex, and RBC.
Sep 12, 2019
8 posts
4 upvotes
QC
aysiphu wrote: Tried multiple credit cards and none went through, any one with same problem? I tried Rogers, Amex, and RBC.
Try with Paypal.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2003
1382 posts
127 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: What breach of contract? Where does it "explicitly state" in your agreement that you will not "make purchases using a VPN"? You can't make this stuff up.

GOG User Agreement
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articl ... roduct=gog
this is on the checkout screen. you confirm that you are in Russia when making the purchase, not VPN specifically of course. and yes, VPN method still works if you are looking to purchase, though i did have to switch to private/incognito mode for it not to show i'm in Canada.

We do not store your payment details in our database and conduct transactions through a secure connection. When placing an order, you agree with the User Agreement GOG.com and the GOG Privacy Policy and confirm that you are currently in Russia. We give you the right to refuse to buy at no additional cost and to specify the reason within 30 days after you have made a purchase on GOG. If the content has been downloaded, broadcast, activated, or used in any way, you lose the right to opt out. Information about what other rights you have you can find here - User Agreement GOG.com. Need help? Check our support pages or contact us.
Aug 3, 2014
237 posts
415 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
appledeep wrote: Try with Paypal.
Not sure why I didn't try that haha. Yea got it to work with Paypal thanks.