Ongoing Deal Discussion

[GOG.com] [HOT][PC]Cyberpunk 2077 34CAD

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 10:57 am
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
bigsky2 wrote: Sorry to disappoint the people who were wishing for all the VPN purchases of this title to be screwed over by русский language. :lol:
Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Apr 28, 2011
282 posts
148 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP, cant wait! Will be sleeping the 3 days away on my MyPillow to pass the time
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2246 posts
1850 upvotes
Vancouver
Look, half of you can enjoy your false sense of morality, and half of us can enjoy our cheaper game.

It is what it is. **** off talking about it endlessly the deal is there for people who have the know-how and want it. Call it a scam, fine, the scam deal is there for people who want it. congrats, now shut up. Same with the people who got the deal, congrats you saved some money via a bit of a scam deal now shut up.

Since when is RFD about bitching at each other, either enjoy the deal or dont and move on.

IT IS A SCAM. YOU ARE LYING ABOUT YOUR LOCATION TO SAVE MONEY. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. IF YOU HAVE A MORAL PROBLEM MOVE ON IF YOU DONT BUY IT.
Last edited by evanwier on Dec 7th, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
evanwier wrote: Look, half of you can enjoy your false sense of morality, and half of us can enjoy our cheaper game.

It is what it is. **** off talking about it endlessly the deal is there for people who have the know-how and want it. Call it a scam, fine, the scam deal is there for people who want it. congrats, now shut up. Same with the people who got the deal, congrats you saved some money via a bit of a scam deal now shut up.

Since when is RFD about bitching at each other, either enjoy the deal or dont and move on.
Well that was the bitchiest damn tone to decry "bitching at each other" I've ever read. There is no scam (as you and others say). Period. Plus 290 upvotes vs 57 downvotes is hardly "half of you" and "half of us"... those against this deal are in the vast minority. But otherwise, I agree with you. ;)
Last edited by Elrondolio on Dec 7th, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 18, 2017
629 posts
872 upvotes
Vancouver
evanwier wrote: Look, half of you can enjoy your false sense of morality, and half of us can enjoy our cheaper game.

99.9% of the users here would jump on a price error for a 65" TV selling for $105.50 instead of $1055 but they suddenly have a different moral compass when it comes to this.
May 4, 2014
222 posts
295 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
Elrondolio wrote: I know this wasn't in response to me, but still not sure what point you're trying to make here. Sure, things cost different prices in different countries due to a wide variety of factors. Whats that have to do with buying this game in Rubles, then paying a currency exchange via VPN? Billions of dollars in both goods and IP are bought, traded and sold across currencies and borders the world over every day. Entire monetary policies are based around the buying and selling of currencies for profit and security. Near all cross border business is conducted via Virtual Private Networks. There is no agreement or any other law that is broken by buying this game in Rubles vs Canadian dollars. So, again, not sure what your point is.
Nothing, I don't have a problem with any of it. I'm replying to the guy that thinks the developer is scamming because a jug of milk costs $20 in Alaska and $1 bucks in Mexico. Nowhere in my post did I imply it's wrong to buy it or laws are broken.
Last edited by KentY198 on Dec 7th, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dec 6, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the deal! I have my CE for PS4 incoming but it’s arriving well after the 10th so might as well see what this ray-tracing hullabaloo is all about!

Paid the developers an extra $40 that they otherwise wouldn’t have gotten so win-win Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jul 31, 2020
708 posts
476 upvotes

Its mostly false outrage, I mean we could all just easily pirate this game.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1244 posts
1831 upvotes
Canada, eh?
RFD is a weird place. lol.

Reminds me of that one time where I was shopping for a new car, and got called out for price shopping because its unfair to the car sales guy...like what.
Jul 31, 2020
708 posts
476 upvotes
On topic, reviews are flooding in now. Critics seem to like it quite a bit.
Oct 26, 2012
900 posts
1301 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: Regional pricing is not codified in law as you clearly wish and pretend here (hence your use of the loaded words "deception" or "taking advantage")
1. Deception is not "loaded" lol are you okay? It's a very basic word with a very basic definition and use cases. If a X company, regardless of what your moral perception is or whatever you consider VPN connections to be, intend for a product to be purchased at $Y price if you are living within a Z geographical location, and you use a tool to make it appear to company X that you are currently at the geographical location Z so you can purchase the product at price $Y then that is deception. It doesn't matter what you think or how you try to break down your process, it's deception.

"Deception is an act or statement which misleads, hides the truth, or promotes a belief, concept, or idea that is not true"

Your talk about:
Using a VPN to buy, sell and trade goods, services or IP across borders and currencies is the cornerstone of our connected world. You simply want to ignore that fact for whatever reasons or moral motivations that drive you
Is irrelevant. Yes while what you are saying is correct, it is not in the normal procedure to use a VPN to obtain a product when they have a storefront for you. If this was priced $35 CAD on the Canadian store you would not be using a VPN. Thus that fact is irrelevant. You are ONLY using the VPN to get the product at a certain price, not because of business protocol or whatever else you want to use to justify it.
You ascribe regional pricing's existence to a singular and noble ideology where none exist: regional pricing exists for profit and profit alone, not to "give (hard working) folks" a chance to "enjoy" or afford worldly goods. Way to pick your wording to make it all sound so folksy and gosh dang proper. Regional pricing exists to sell and make a profit where once can be made. Period. But that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.
Why are you being so defensive for? I never said it was illegal, and I also never claimed it was solely for the working man and woman. I literally wrote out in plain english:
Regional pricing is a thing, it's intended to give folks from a different country making a smaller income a chance to enjoy products that are otherwise priced way outside their probable budget. Conversely, it also allows a company to tap into an economy where the local citizens may have an alternative (like in the case of PC video games, piracy).
Why are you attacking what I am saying under the guise that I am trying to make a loaded statement or "picking my wording"? My post is straight to the point, while yours is bringing up VPN principles and other jargon that has nothing to do with your intentions nor the intentions of GOG's pricing. Also lol @ "But that [Regional pricing] has absolutely nothing to do with this thread". It absolutely does, or else how else does Russia have a cheaper price if it's not regional pricing? They're just discriminating the rest of the world and giving Russia a cheaper price because they like them?

Nothing you are doing is illegal or breaking any laws, but to claim it's not deception is hilarious to say the least. I'm not here giving any moral justification or telling you to do something or not, It's just hilarious to see people trying to bend over backwards to call their actions different than they really are. I can appreciate saying "who cares, it's a giant corporation and I'm just an individual" or "it's either this or pirating" but not "I'm not deceiving them"
Oct 26, 2012
900 posts
1301 upvotes

kaiseki wrote: 99.9% of the users here would jump on a price error for a 65" TV selling for $105.50 instead of $1055 but they suddenly have a different moral compass when it comes to this.
100% or buying a 3070 and getting a 3080 shipped and you keep it. Are these moral or not? Who cares, framing it one way or another to justify your actions is just stupid. IMO this thread is the definition of deception... but GOG don't care and they're not blocking it, so who cares? Enjoy your DRM free game, I'm sure this conglomerate CDPR will survive just fine and are actually picking up $$ from people who would have pirated otherwise.
May 4, 2014
222 posts
295 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
fatcowxlive wrote: 1. Deception is not "loaded" lol are you okay? It's a very basic word with a very basic definition and use cases. If a X company, regardless of what your moral perception is or whatever you consider VPN connections to be, intend for a product to be purchased at $Y price if you are living within a Z geographical location, and you use a tool to make it appear to company X that you are currently at the geographical location Z so you can purchase the product at price $Y then that is deception. It doesn't matter what you think or how you try to break down your process, it's deception.

"Deception is an act or statement which misleads, hides the truth, or promotes a belief, concept, or idea that is not true"

Your talk about:

Is irrelevant. Yes while what you are saying is correct, it is not in the normal procedure to use a VPN to obtain a product when they have a storefront for you. If this was priced $35 CAD on the Canadian store you would not be using a VPN. Thus that fact is irrelevant. You are ONLY using the VPN to get the product at a certain price, not because of business protocol or whatever else you want to use to justify it.
What if I happen to be travelling in X country and decided to buy it and use it back in Canada?
What if a friend living in X country buys it, then ships it to me? Is that deception because the friend bought it with the intention of exporting it to someone for a cheaper price?

The end result is the same, the way we got there is slightly different. Genuinely curious what you think about these scenarios.
Oct 26, 2012
900 posts
1301 upvotes
KentY198 wrote: What if I happen to be travelling in X country and decided to buy it and use it back in Canada?
What if a friend living in X country buys it, then ships it to me? Is that deception because the friend bought it with the intention of exporting it to someone for a cheaper price?

The end result is the same, the way we got there is slightly different. Genuinely curious what you think about these scenarios.
For me I already answered the first one, it's not deception because you are already there.

For the second one it depends. If the person is gifting you a code, then that's not deception (Just know that gifting a code is not priced at the local cost but at global market prices - which once again lends to the idea that this is indeed regional pricing). If you're giving your login information to your pal to do it for you, to me that's deception because it's effectively using the VPN but with extra steps, instead of a Russian server it's just your pal.

Once again I'm not here to judge anyone or to talk down on anyone. God knows I've done this before. And it's just like jumping on a clear price error as someone mentioned before. My whole point of my posts is I just get irked when I see people try to paint something as something completely different just so they can satisfy their own mental compass. People should be okay with standing by their actions as is. (which is probably why I shouldn't even be engaging in this topic as I have, but I have some time on my hands :P )
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8109 posts
4746 upvotes
Toronto
chickiewickie wrote: Thanks for the deal! I have my CE for PS4 incoming but it’s arriving well after the 10th so might as well see what this ray-tracing hullabaloo is all about!

Paid the developers an extra $40 that they otherwise wouldn’t have gotten so win-win Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Why in the world would you even buy this on PS4 if you have a RTX capable PC? This game is going to be ass on consoles and even the PS5/XSX just run the PS4/X1 version in backwards compatibility locked at 30fps. CDPR has always been a PC first developer
Last edited by ReeGee on Dec 7th, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 9, 2009
772 posts
131 upvotes
Hamilton
Is this deal no longer working?

I tried paying via PayPal with no success. Just kept bringing me back to checkout
Mar 3, 2017
440 posts
200 upvotes
Woodstock
Cadley wrote: Don't people like this realize that CDPR is fully aware of these discounts and leaves them enabled for people who could use a deal and are smart enough to find it.
CDPR actually OWNS GOG from my understanding, and they have been quoted as saying all proceeds from purchases on GOG go to THEM..... they’re just cutting out third party retailers. Also reviews are starting to leak out, and this game MAY only be WORTH this price tag, unfortunately, so... take from that what you will. This, also, from someone who has prepurchased a digital code for Xbox for about $65 CAD elsewhere.
Jan 19, 2015
10 posts
39 upvotes
I had no intention of buying this game what so ever but decided to spend $34CAD mostly due to the pathetic appeals to questioning the morality of purchasing via VPN to receive price reduction. Passing moral judgment on others over a video game purchase is beyond vain and brings into question what you value at all. People who have any allegiance to consumer goods or care about conglomerates what so ever need to pick up a book and realize where they fall in the grand scheme of things.