[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1175 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto

Going to Halifax for 4 days - Need advice on itinerary

Hi,

My wife and I will be going to Halifax for 4 days. I really want to maximize the time to see the great places in Atlantic Canada. The first day is already full because we will be going to the Tall Ships Festival. However, I haven't decided where to go yet for the next 3 days. The places I really want to see are Peggy's Cove, Lunenberg, Ovens Park, Bay of Fundy, Joggins and maybe PEI (they said it's a 3-hour drive which is alright for me). What do you guys think? We only booked a hotel in Halifax for 2 days so we can stay anywhere we want on our last night.

It would be great if anyone of you can help us plan out the drive to these places as well as good places to eat.

Thanks!
Home Phone: $0 since 2016 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8675 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto
Peggy's Cove will be nice. At least 1/2 of a day. Look up to see if there's a cruise ship docking in town and if so you'll want to go early to avoid the crowd if you choose to go that day.

There's a Titanic Museam. I thought it was so so, but some Titanic or history buffs might like it. There's an amphibious tour, a bus that also goes on the water. That was interesting. You might look at going to the Fort.

Bay of Fundy, you suere? That's a bit of a drive, and it's best to be able to see both the high tide and low tide.
Oct 16, 2011
109 posts
13 upvotes
Magnetic Hill is neat, definitely worth a stop!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1175 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
Arrgh wrote: Peggy's Cove will be nice. At least 1/2 of a day. Look up to see if there's a cruise ship docking in town and if so you'll want to go early to avoid the crowd if you choose to go that day.

There's a Titanic Museam. I thought it was so so, but some Titanic or history buffs might like it. There's an amphibious tour, a bus that also goes on the water. That was interesting. You might look at going to the Fort.

Bay of Fundy, you suere? That's a bit of a drive, and it's best to be able to see both the high tide and low tide.
A friend told me that I can see the tides when I go to Joggins, which is a 3 hour drive from Halifax.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35459 posts
9481 upvotes
Ottawa
x2007ura wrote: Magnetic Hill is neat, definitely worth a stop!
You are aware that magnetic Hill is in Moncton? A different city...as a matter fact, a different Province?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35459 posts
9481 upvotes
Ottawa
jigsatics wrote: A friend told me that I can see the tides when I go to Joggins, which is a 3 hour drive from Halifax.
Yes, it is a 3 hour drive. It is also a 3 hour drive back to Halifax. Quite a day trip.
As for the tides, they come and go, every 6 hours. It is not an "attraction" that someone turns on when you get to the beach. You need to check a tidal chart.
You are only going for 3 nights. I suggest you stay in Halifax for the entire time. The Tall Ships festival has lots of things going on at the Harbourfront. Try and make it over to the Eastern Passage Fisherman's Wharf, have lunch at Wharf Wraps, the best fish n' chips anywhere.
Take a day trip to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg. You can take a boat from the harbour to Peggy's Cove. A great way to see the Nova Scotia shoreline.
I personally would not leave the Halifax area for such a short visit. The immediate area of Halifax has lots to keep you occupied for 3 days. http://www.destinationhalifax.com/visit ... in-halifax
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6116 posts
849 upvotes
Greely
If you're looking for some nightlife while staying in Halifax, be sure to visit the Lower Deck.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1175 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Yes, it is a 3 hour drive. It is also a 3 hour drive back to Halifax. Quite a day trip.
As for the tides, they come and go, every 6 hours. It is not an "attraction" that someone turns on when you get to the beach. You need to check a tidal chart.
You are only going for 3 nights. I suggest you stay in Halifax for the entire time. The Tall Ships festival has lots of things going on at the Harbourfront. Try and make it over to the Eastern Passage Fisherman's Wharf, have lunch at Wharf Wraps, the best fish n' chips anywhere.
Take a day trip to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg. You can take a boat from the harbour to Peggy's Cove. A great way to see the Nova Scotia shoreline.
I personally would not leave the Halifax area for such a short visit. The immediate area of Halifax has lots to keep you occupied for 3 days. http://www.destinationhalifax.com/visit ... in-halifax
We will only get to see the last day of the Tall Ships Festival so I'm thinking we spend the whole day touring downtown Halifax. Driving 3 hours will not be a problem for us because we have an option to stay overnight at PEI before heading back to Halifax the next day. I'm also into photography so any good places to do this will be great.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)