Home & Garden

Going to lay down some poly sand to stop weeds on my interlock VS just redoing it

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 10:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3910 posts
748 upvotes
Mississauga

Going to lay down some poly sand to stop weeds on my interlock VS just redoing it

Is this stuff crap? anyone used it? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B07S6CCLQL

I am sort of on the fence as every year it comes back but I could go all out and redo it. wanted some thoughts.

Is this higher end sand going to help prevent weeds from coming back?
12 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13086 posts
7926 upvotes
Brampton
The sand isn't all the important.
It's the prep and method.
Weeds will always come back.

My preferred way of dealing with redoing the sand is, powerwashing it, then getting a propane torch to burn all the weeds and roots then resanding. The Key is to make sure the whole gap is filled completely thru with the polymeric sand. You might need to rent a compactor to really get it in there.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2689 posts
1016 upvotes
Nunavut
Sand needs to be redone every few years, it's not a do once and never again task, and I don't consider it to be crap... as far as I know everyone uses it if you aren't cheaping out on the job

But if you do it then do as last post said and agreed it's all in the prep, if you half ass it then you will be redoing it...remove weeds, power wash and clean out any gaps, fix gaps if you can if they are big and stones have shifted... then apply sand, you can buy it from most places like home depot
Dec 25, 2006
734 posts
686 upvotes
Ottawa
G2 certainly is not crap. Very good stuff, but expensive. I used it last year. It is definitely one of the better polymeric sands on the market. There is no sand on this earth that will permanently stop weeds. It's impossible. Like tebore said, power wash the existing sand, prep and apply the new sand properly. Will you have a scattered weed next year? Most likely, but it won't be that bad. I just pick them as I see them. Easy maintenance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3910 posts
748 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah gota decide if i rip up my interlock and replace it with something else or do this :)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3076 posts
1128 upvotes
Power washed our backyard interlock and cleared all weeds, etc, prior to laying sand over top and it looked good for a month or so, lol. Weeds have come up with all this rain, but nothing as bad as it was so am thinking it is an annual task unless I rip it all apart which I do not want to do
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2749 posts
3821 upvotes
West GTA
You don't need that brand, go to a landscape yard and pick up their commercial grade stuff. It'll all work. Make sure it's 'haze free'. Poly sand does work quite well, if applied properly - power wash the old stuff out, wait until bone dry (three dry days), then swep new stuff in, use a vibrating plate compactor to get it to the bottom, sweep in more, compact, sweep in more, then use a leaf blower at a sharp angle to blow any excess off the top of the pavers. Then use a garden hose on a gentle setting to get the joints wet (just below the point of pooling). Some brand are okay with wetting the joints once, some like you to do it twice in short succession, instructions on the bag. Then leave it alone for a day to dry and set and you're good to go for a few years.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5223 posts
3020 upvotes
GTA
Polymeric sand wont work, weeds will grow back and you'll pollinate the interlock with weeds when you or your neighbour cuts the grass. I spent 10 hours cleaning my driveway with a gas powered pressure washer, waste of time.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3535 posts
1007 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I used polymetric between my stones when i layed it down a decade ago. it worked for many years but it is now all just "dirt" and weed seeds grow like crazy in it.

isn't the final layer of the base for interlock a layer of sand with the interlock bricks directly on top? then filler/polymetric sand vibrated into the gaps from above. if you powerwash out the sand from the gaps don't you end up blasting out a bunch of the sand support later as well?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3910 posts
748 upvotes
Mississauga
Kevinck wrote: I used polymetric between my stones when i layed it down a decade ago. it worked for many years but it is now all just "dirt" and weed seeds grow like crazy in it.

isn't the final layer of the base for interlock a layer of sand with the interlock bricks directly on top? then filler/polymetric sand vibrated into the gaps from above. if you powerwash out the sand from the gaps don't you end up blasting out a bunch of the sand support later as well?
I think u power wash it after removing all weeds to blow out any residual sand, then u wait a few days ensure its dry and sweep the new sand into the drive way and ensure it will stay dry for several days after. there are machines that "pros" use to do this one guy quoted me about $800 to do this for me, id be interested in doing it myself as when i asked to see driveways he did 1-2 years ago he stopped responding.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8550 posts
7389 upvotes
Ottawa
I agree with the majority: polymeric sand works but it's not permanent. I get weed free performance for 2-3 years but eventually, the sand loses it's "polymer" due most likely to rain washing it away. Once that property is lost, the weeds start popping up. It's not awful but I usually just deal with the weeds for a year or two. I see the polymeric sand replacement job as being something for every 5 years. I have 160 M2 of stonework and it's a massive and dirty job. Typically, though, it gives me an opportunity to do a lift and relay of stones where the base has settled unevenly - which makes the job even bigger though.
I upvote RFDers who are respectful and helpful
Mar 19, 2006
68 posts
18 upvotes
Looking to rent a plate compactor but only have a Subaru Outback for transportation. Has anyone tried to remove the handle of the compactor to fit in an SUV?

Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)