Travel

Going to New York for weekend, what to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 8:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5749 posts
1400 upvotes
Toronto

Going to New York for weekend, what to do?

Hey guys,

Going to New York and these are the following places I have planned to check out:
- Central Park
- haircut in Harlem
- ground zero
- trump plaza
- times square
-double decker bus tour
- empire state building
- take subway to wherever
- museums
-columbia university
- grand central terminal
- rockefeller center

Now I probably won't be able to do all this, so I'm wondering if you know other lesser known gems of New York (Manhattan is where we'll be) that we could do? Just in case if I'm around the area, I'll be aware of these spots/activities.
For instance, for Toronto a popular tourist place you'd suggest is CN Tower, but a lesser known spot to suggest may be Kensington market, Trinity Bellwoods Park, Ashbridges Bay, Distillery District, etc.

I'm looking for those lesser known spots that for the most part a resident of the city would know or someone who's experienced them before.

Also "must try" restaurants, coffee spots, ice cream?

Thanks friends!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23600 posts
22548 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
* Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Immigration Museum
* Tenement Museum of NY City (guided tour)
* The American Museum of Natural History
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Chelsea Market
Zabar's
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5749 posts
1400 upvotes
Toronto
I'll Google your suggestions shortly on the ride to NYC.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1105 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
The museums take up a lot of time so I'm not sure how you'll fit everything in if you're just there for one weekend.

I personally hate The Empire State Building. The line up is ridiculous. And I remember going through like 3 different lines. I'd suggest instead going to Top of the Rock instead. View is still amazing, less populated, shorter line, maybe less expensive? I don't remember how the price compares. But people like to go to the Empire State Building to say that they've gone so most people still go and then afterwards never go again.

Also at the Rockefeller Centre is the Nintendo Store. At one point it used to be the only or one or 2 official Nintendo Stores in North America. If you're a Nintendo Fan or know someone who is they usually have exclusive merchandise there.

Also, if you're able, you could get tickets to a Late Night Talk show. When I went a long time ago I saw Conan O'Brien live. Something like seeing SNL or Stephen Colbert would be cool. But I don't know how to get tickets or how early you have to book. But it's something to check out if you're into that.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4641 posts
2515 upvotes
I recommend Top of the Rock over Empire State. Skip Columbia University, nothing really to see there. The 911 museum is a must in my opinion. Must try Grimaldi's or Juliana's pizza. Street food carts like Halal guys are pretty cheap and filling. Take in a Broadway show if you have the budget.

Have fun.
Sep 30, 2001
29595 posts
9141 upvotes
Toronto
TigerLilly wrote: Also, if you're able, you could get tickets to a Late Night Talk show. When I went a long time ago I saw Conan O'Brien live. Something like seeing SNL or Stephen Colbert would be cool. But I don't know how to get tickets or how early you have to book. But it's something to check out if you're into that.
far too late for that. you need to enter the lottery for the various tickets 2-3 months in advance. At best they can try their luck by standing in a stand-by line bright and early but that's a waste of vacation time imo.
Be kind and civil with one another
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5749 posts
1400 upvotes
Toronto
TigerLilly wrote: The museums take up a lot of time so I'm not sure how you'll fit everything in if you're just there for one weekend.

I personally hate The Empire State Building. The line up is ridiculous. And I remember going through like 3 different lines. I'd suggest instead going to Top of the Rock instead. View is still amazing, less populated, shorter line, maybe less expensive? I don't remember how the price compares. But people like to go to the Empire State Building to say that they've gone so most people still go and then afterwards never go again.

Also at the Rockefeller Centre is the Nintendo Store. At one point it used to be the only or one or 2 official Nintendo Stores in North America. If you're a Nintendo Fan or know someone who is they usually have exclusive merchandise there.

Also, if you're able, you could get tickets to a Late Night Talk show. When I went a long time ago I saw Conan O'Brien live. Something like seeing SNL or Stephen Colbert would be cool. But I don't know how to get tickets or how early you have to book. But it's something to check out if you're into that.
Yup we did Top of Rock. Amazing view and cheaper than Empire State which I believe was going for around $50 USD; Top of Rock was around $30USD.
Also I think the view of central park would be obstructed from Empire State since Rockefeller is blocking it. We did go to Empire State but we only went as far as to the point where they check your tickets.

But my favourite view was top of One World Trade Center - supposedly the tallest building in the western hemisphere. There we got to see more of the waterfront and I find the buildings of lower Manhattan more modern, cleaner, and overall more appealing to look at, so that added to a better view than Rockefeller. I also loved the way they did a "build up" before you actually get to see the 360 view of the city. Simply incredible, I didn't want to leave. This was one of the highlights for me.