• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 9:06 am
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
452 posts
230 upvotes
Vancouver

Going paperless at the office

During this pandemic, my company's office has switched from paper-based to paperless. Stores used to send all their documents (invoices, reports, etc) by courier to our office and now every store emails PDFs.

Pros:
Company saves money on courier and filing expenses
Shared folder system - easier to find documents as they are archived digitally
Ability to work from home - going to the office is optional

Cons:
Learning curve for store and office employees to adapt
Time consuming for stores to have to scan/label all documents

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences in a paperless work environment.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1445 posts
738 upvotes
Vancouver
What program does your company use to store the files? Is it just like a dropbox with different folders for different things?

Getting those receipt scanners might help to make the scanning process a bit easier. I find the interface less clunky compared to using those multi-function printers.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
epinephrine wrote: During this pandemic, my company's office has switched from paper-based to paperless. Stores used to send all their documents (invoices, reports, etc) by courier to our office and now every store emails PDFs.

Pros:
Company saves money on courier and filing expenses
Shared folder system - easier to find documents as they are archived digitally
Ability to work from home - going to the office is optional

Cons:
Learning curve for store and office employees to adapt
Time consuming for stores to have to scan/label all documents

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences in a paperless work environment.
Will your company transition to digital forms and signatures too?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
someone16 wrote: What program does your company use to store the files? Is it just like a dropbox with different folders for different things?

Getting those receipt scanners might help to make the scanning process a bit easier. I find the interface less clunky compared to using those multi-function printers.
Receipts and expenses were through SAP Concur, which has a decent app for receipt scanning and uploading.

Invoices that were emailed are also uploaded to Concur which automatically recognizes and ingests it. AP clerk becomes more of Concur admin instead, instead of 80% of time data input it became 5% and more systems management.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
452 posts
230 upvotes
Vancouver
someone16 wrote: What program does your company use to store the files? Is it just like a dropbox with different folders for different things?

We have a shared file system that is accessible from any work computer so its similar to dropbox but stored on our servers rather than cloud. Our stores are either scanning the receipts by their printer or phone app like PDF scanner.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
452 posts
230 upvotes
Vancouver
loserga wrote: Will your company transition to digital forms and signatures too?
The stores are signing off by pen on the reports and scanning it back to us. At our office, we use the free Adobe PDF reader "Sign" function as a digital signature.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
452 posts
230 upvotes
Vancouver
bhrm wrote: Receipts and expenses were through SAP Concur, which has a decent app for receipt scanning and uploading.

Invoices that were emailed are also uploaded to Concur which automatically recognizes and ingests it. AP clerk becomes more of Concur admin instead, instead of 80% of time data input it became 5% and more systems management.
Most of our invoices from vendors are digital now so we are looking for a software solution to automate our AP department.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
epinephrine wrote: Most of our invoices from vendors are digital now so we are looking for a software solution to automate our AP department.
Concur I heard was pretty good BUT like all software it REALLY has to be configured properly in the beginning 100%. Training is key. Too often companies pass on the training or implementation, and literally deal with expensive useless crap that doesn't work.