Travel

Going to USA for 1 Week? Help with Phone Plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2017 5:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 11, 2012
79 posts
1 upvote

Going to USA for 1 Week? Help with Phone Plan?

Hey guys

I'm thinking of travelling to states for 1 week. I was wondering what phone plans to get while i'm there? I recently picked up roam mobility sim card.

there are three plans that they offer I'm debating between.
$2.95 per day: text + data plan = unlimited global text + 2GB data
$3.95 per day: talk + text = unlimited talk + unlimited global text
$4.96 per day: talk + text+ data = unlimited talk + unlimited global text + 2GB data

I do need to make phone calls while I'm there, but they will be short phone calls. E.g. calling family back home to canada, calling friends I'm travelling with if I'm lost
I was thinking of getting the $2.95 plan, and then using data to make phone calls using google voice? Is that a good idea? Or should i just go with the 3.95/4.95 plans?

Any others things I should pack/ bring / plan before i go to the USA?
18 replies
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3462 posts
3313 upvotes
Montreal
ChanceOfThunder wrote: I was thinking of getting the $2.95 plan, and then using data to make phone calls using google voice? Is that a good idea? Or should i just go with the 3.95/4.95 plans?
The $2.95 2GB data plan has super slow 2G speed. You won't be able to use it for Google Voice.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10065 posts
2661 upvotes
get a 5$ calling card and use your hotel phone or payphone for your calls, I do this all the time, you get like 1000 minutes or something silly for 5$
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5685 posts
5087 upvotes
ChanceOfThunder wrote: Hey guys

I'm thinking of travelling to states for 1 week. I was wondering what phone plans to get while i'm there? I recently picked up roam mobility sim card.

there are three plans that they offer I'm debating between.
$2.95 per day: text + data plan = unlimited global text + 2GB data
$3.95 per day: talk + text = unlimited talk + unlimited global text
$4.96 per day: talk + text+ data = unlimited talk + unlimited global text + 2GB data

I do need to make phone calls while I'm there, but they will be short phone calls. E.g. calling family back home to canada, calling friends I'm travelling with if I'm lost
I was thinking of getting the $2.95 plan, and then using data to make phone calls using google voice? Is that a good idea? Or should i just go with the 3.95/4.95 plans?

Any others things I should pack/ bring / plan before i go to the USA?
Who's your Canadian carrier? A U.S. roaming package may end up being cheaper than using Roam Mobility, and you don't have to deal with crappy Roam service.

For example, with Public Mobile, $20 gets you 10 days of unlimited Canada and US-wide calling with 250mb of data.
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
145 upvotes
I usually buy T mobile sim.
Font buy iroam sim at any cost. Does not work at all - horrible
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3204 posts
1552 upvotes
Mississauga
Avoid roam mobility. Service has deteriorated immensely.
I love RFD! :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7724 posts
1603 upvotes
Just call your carrier and ask for vacation roaming charges, may be less than you think and can your own number and pick up calls down there.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Nov 30, 2007
513 posts
80 upvotes
North York
I recommend getting a TMobile card. Check the coverage in the location where you're going.

I forget which plan I had, but I think it was something like $3 for 30minutes (who cares) + $10 for 1gig which you can use with google voice, skype, fongo, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3204 posts
1552 upvotes
Mississauga
stasik wrote: I recommend getting a TMobile card. Check the coverage in the location where you're going.

I forget which plan I had, but I think it was something like $3 for 30minutes (who cares) + $10 for 1gig which you can use with google voice, skype, fongo, etc.
How much was the SIM card?
I love RFD! :)
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
145 upvotes
That was in the past. The plan they have now is just for 21 days and costs 30 bucks
Does anyone have any other recommendations for a US sim for occasional trips and use to US?
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
145 upvotes
I found another option US Mobile
Sm is $4
The 30 day plan starts from $9
Has anyone used them?
May 29, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
If you're not doing a lot of talking and data usage, having the daily plan may be more than what you need, given that if you don't use, it doesn't carry over for the next day.

There are some travel sim cards that you can buy with no expiry, so whatever amount of money you put in will be there next time you travel. One that I have used is https://www.wraptel.com/International-SIM-Card-iPhone (You can get the sim card for free if you buy $10 airtime). I recently used it in New York City and for most of the time, I was able to check Google Maps and get on Facebook/Whatsapp, except for when I was around Times Square when data connectivity seems spotty (it was connecting to T-Mobile). Sidenote: The subway stations in New York have wifi!!)

I do have a backup too, so for days that I know I will be talking a lot, I will turn on my Rogers USA roaming for $5/day.