Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
121 posts
17 upvotes
BRAMPTON

Going to USA with Canadian items in trunk

I bought 3 garage openers at Home Depot and they're in my trunk.

I live at school so I didn't want to take them out until I went home.

If I cross the border to go to America, and on the way back if they check my trunk will I have any problems?

Even if I have receipts and proof that they were purchased in Canada?
16 replies
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3379 posts
750 upvotes
Nope just let them know ahead of time and that this isn't apart of your allowance
RFD iTrader:76|||0
HEATWARE:15|||0
EBAY:220|||0
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14801 posts
1132 upvotes
Markham
If you have receipts, that should be good enough proof
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4087 posts
3325 upvotes
Toronto
Most of the time, receipts should be good enough. In theory, if you're unlucky, they might say that the three items you have in the trunk *may* have been purchased in the U.S. if Home Depot USA sells the exact same Chamberlain garage door openers and the receipts don't list serial numbers. Even if that happens, you might be able to point out the French vs. Spanish text on the packaging. There's probably very little chance of that, so I wouldn't worry about it.

FYI, there's a form Y38 that can be filled out while you're in Canada. You go to a Customs office and write down the items and their serial numbers. The agent signs and stamps the form, which basically proves that those items were in Canada if you get asked about them at the border coming back. I do it for my electronics equipment and cell phones since i don't have all the receipts handy and it's easy to carry them into the Customs office. The last time I filled out the form, the agent didn't look to see what I wrote down (they're supposed to check serial numbers, etc.). He was probably thinking that if I even knew about the form and took the time and effort to get it filled out, I wouldn't try any funny stuff.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3379 posts
750 upvotes
Before crossing you should gill out a form and give them serial numbers on the Canadian side this will insure it
RFD iTrader:76|||0
HEATWARE:15|||0
EBAY:220|||0
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2678 posts
1814 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
sikk08 wrote: I bought 3 garage openers at Home Depot and they're in my trunk.

I live at school so I didn't want to take them out until I went home.

If I cross the border to go to America, and on the way back if they check my trunk will I have any problems?

Even if I have receipts and proof that they were purchased in Canada?
Although you can go into the Canadian side and fill out a form so you don't have issues bringing them back, I'd say that the receipt should be good enough.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8972 posts
2478 upvotes
London
Why wouldn't you just take the out of your trunk and put them in your dorm room or whatever? The amount of hassle at the border trumps being lazy.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2025 upvotes
Nowhere
Ottomaddox wrote: Why wouldn't you just take the out of your trunk and put them in your dorm room or whatever? The amount of hassle at the border trumps being lazy.
Exactly. I always clean everything out of my car, purse, wallet, jacket etc including receipts that don't need to be there before I go to the US. If they want to search or rip the car apart, there is less to go through. We once had somewhere here complaining about being questioned over old receipts she had with her. Leave them at home and save yourself the hassle.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
13556 posts
6495 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ShadowVlican wrote: If you have receipts, that should be good enough proof
Try telling that to customs...

Just spend the extra 10 minutes to fill out the form before you cross the border and be done with it.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19069 posts
3722 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Poutinesauce wrote: This is why I don't bring my Omega watch with me if I cross the border, I don't want them to tell me "duh you bought it here and now are trying to sneak it in unnoticed, confiscated".
+1, some distant relative of mine had a Rolex confiscated because it was given to him as a gift when outside of Canada. At the very least, don't wear your expensive items across the border.
- Casual Gastronomist -
May 28, 2012
10738 posts
2832 upvotes
Saskatoon
Those garage door openers come in huge boxes...how do they all fit into the trunk of your car, and why would anyone need three of them? OP asked a weird question.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
121 posts
17 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Thanks for the replies.

I will just take them out of my car instead of having to fill out the form then.

The reason I didn't want to is because I have to take them from the parking garage to another building and up to the 20th floor.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2025 upvotes
Nowhere
Jucius Maximus wrote: +1, some distant relative of mine had a Rolex confiscated because it was given to him as a gift when outside of Canada. At the very least, don't wear your expensive items across the border.
I know people who have been assessed on expensive jewellery (one a watch and one a ring) but then got the money back when they got home and proved that it was purchased in Canada/owned before the trip. But they never had the items confiscated.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19069 posts
3722 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Cheap Cat wrote: I know people who have been assessed on expensive jewellery (one a watch and one a ring) but then got the money back when they got home and proved that it was purchased in Canada/owned before the trip. But they never had the items confiscated.
Somewhat different situation I suppose, as my relative admitted he did receive it outside of Canada so it's guaranteed to be a taxable item.
- Casual Gastronomist -