• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2020 8:13 am
Tags:
None
Oct 10, 2009
119 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
kilburn305 wrote: agreed. gdx went to 16 in march. how is that a safe haven?

fed funded gamblers are buying gold now.
Every asset including gold sold down in March. There was a liquidity event where cash was needed to cover margin calls. The liquidity event has passed as the Fed has made money easily available. One line from the article piqued my interest ... "And unlike sovereign bonds, gold does not generate any kind of income stream—an added bonus for investors seeking capital preservation. " Sovereign bonds in safe countries are now yielding virtually zero, so these don't generate any kind of income stream anymore either. Sure, there could still be capital gains if interest rates drop even further, but the Fed's current stance is no negative rates.

Cash is "safe", until one realizes that pretty much all governments are pumping out cash like it's no-one's business.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1874 posts
1051 upvotes
Ontario
kilburn305 wrote: fed funded gamblers are buying gold now.
Source? I agree gold is going up because of money printing, but not because the money is being invested in gold. It is the printing of the pretend money in the first place that is diluting the money supply and driving up the cost of assets, including gold.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1147 posts
762 upvotes
This won't be of any interest to those new to the mining sector, but old dawgs may find this entertaining.

I always wondered why nobody ever slapped Inca Kola before; they just laugh him off for the fool he is, I guess.

It's all fun and games until someone gets poked in the eye, and a few days ago Bob Moriarty was poked; "What, you didn't know Bob Moriarty front-runs his paid pumps illegally and should have been thrown in jail years ago? You must be new round these parts....”

I applaud Bob for poking back.

http://www.321gold.com/editorials/moria ... 81020.html
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2113 posts
665 upvotes
Whitby
IrwinW wrote: This won't be of any interest to those new to the mining sector, but old dawgs may find this entertaining.

I always wondered why nobody ever slapped Inca Kola before; they just laugh him off for the fool he is, I guess.

It's all fun and games until someone gets poked in the eye, and a few days ago Bob Moriarty was poked; "What, you didn't know Bob Moriarty front-runs his paid pumps illegally and should have been thrown in jail years ago? You must be new round these parts....”

I applaud Bob for poking back.

http://www.321gold.com/editorials/moria ... 81020.html
Haha.....that brought back some bad memories. I lost more than a few bucks on Crystallex.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1874 posts
1051 upvotes
Ontario
Pretty nasty day for gold. It was definitely overbought so a pullback is not too surprising; however, the selling was pretty extensive. Fundamentally, little has changed. Russia apparently has a vaccine, but not sure how that is going to help with all the money printing.

I loaded up on more miners today. Hopefully this was the worst of it.
Jun 14, 2016
333 posts
133 upvotes
Calgary
I got SLV 35C 1/15/21. I'm ready to make that money!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes
It seems the USD's long-time appreciation is going into reversal. Kinda good for critical commodities and emerging markets with debt in USD.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4274 posts
3417 upvotes
Was bid $7.59 bid this morning for YRI, but the LOD was only $7.60.

I only saw this short <YRI> interview tonight. https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/09/03/g ... -says.html
On this day in 1885, Charles Merrill was born in Green Grove Springs, Fla., the son of a family doctor. With Edmund C. Lynch, he founded Merrill, Lynch & Co. in 1914 to “bring Wall Street to Main Street.”
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4274 posts
3417 upvotes
The point the physical holders are missing out on is that they always pay (spot + bro) to get in. Currently, holding some miners i.e. ABX, an investor can invest in the sector, but only pay a discount to spot via miners because the miners B.E. Is below spot.

The exit discount or premium TBD.

From a Vancouver investor on a popular podcast;

TIP315: GOLD AND GOLD MINERS W/ MARIN KATUSA
https://www.theinvestorspodcast.com/epi ... in-katusa/

IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
  • Why the performance of gold miners are lagging the performance of the price of gold
  • How to invest in gold miners
  • The details of Warren Buffett’s investment in gold
  • Why the fear of deflation keeps Chair of the Federal Reserve Jay Powell up at night
On this day in 1885, Charles Merrill was born in Green Grove Springs, Fla., the son of a family doctor. With Edmund C. Lynch, he founded Merrill, Lynch & Co. in 1914 to “bring Wall Street to Main Street.”
Sep 2, 2017
37 posts
21 upvotes
Please please don't listen to Marin Katusa.
He's not smart enough to talk about the macro.
And not technically competent enough to talk about individual companies.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4274 posts
3417 upvotes
Added to YRI at $7.48

As a matter of interest as EUR is 40% of DXY.
Jun 15, 2015
179 posts
195 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
It took a while but my HGD buy 6 weeks ago is finally paying off.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2797 posts
739 upvotes
Wow silver going down big time. Adding AGQ small positions and also selling covered calls