• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 1:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
Looks like they're doing a bad Mandarin copycat, without any specialty to maintain interest. The price point isn't good, except on Tuesday.

I think they should have switched cuisines and switched to a non-ayce restaurant, to differentiate themselves from the local restaurants in the area.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: I think they should have switched cuisines and switched to a non-ayce restaurant, to differentiate themselves from the local restaurants in the area.
Keeping it AYCE is the smartest thing they could do. That alone differentiates them from the local restaurants in the area.
It is possible to offer some new cuisine ideas without stepping away from AYCE.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
There are already two Chinese restaurants with 0.1 km radius. How could they survive as another non-ayce restaurant?
badOne wrote: I think they should have switched cuisines and switched to a non-ayce restaurant, to differentiate themselves from the local restaurants in the area.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
h2o- wrote: There are already two Chinese restaurants with 0.1 km radius. How could they survive as another non-ayce restaurant?
Frankie Tomatos is not a Chinese place and Buffet City has been closed for years now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
h2o- wrote: There are already two Chinese restaurants with 0.1 km radius. How could they survive as another non-ayce restaurant?
They need to switch to a different cuisine. Right now it's ayce Manchu wok. Based on the lunch price at least, people love it, but I doubt long term they can keep prices at $9.99 ayce lunch. Food was ok - for $9.99 it is worth it, even if the food is uninspiring, and very greasy. They do have a sushi component for lunch.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: They need to switch to a different cuisine. Right now it's ayce Manchu wok. Based on the lunch price at least, people love it, but I doubt long term they can keep prices at $9.99 ayce lunch. Food was ok - for $9.99 it is worth it, even if the food is uninspiring, and very greasy. They do have a sushi component for lunch.
They sure do need to do something different with their AYCE.
I just wasted $22.99 plus tax. The best part was only having to pay $1.50 for a large glass of iced tea (or any coke branded restaurant pop) complete with free refills. (most AYCE's are charging between $250-$3, served in a smaller glass)
The soups were awful. Watered down. (first clue something is not good...)
I was amazed to see Lobster, but even that was awful.
The lobster sits soaking in some gawd awful Chinese sauce of some sort. (actually, I forgot to ask...I think it was chinese)
Very gooey and sloppy.
Good lobster should not need to be soaking in anything...even if it's not real butter being offered on the side...oh that's another thing. No butter to dip the gawd awful lobster in.
If you're there for the gooey lobster, it's a good place to stay away from!! (yes, this was ayce lobster on a Thursday)

This restaurant at least earns it's B- (to be nice) for having great sashimi (for a Thursday)
The sushi however, and the maki...I wish I could see them making it...I bet they use something even worse than no name for the rice.
Honest to god, because of the rice alone, I've had better sushi/Maki in a grocery store. (Loblaws or Metro)
BUT
the avocado ingredient was perfect, and some of the other ingredients were very good...I ended up picking out the rice and eating the rest.
(thankfully-unlike some ayce Japanese restaurants, no one gets angry with me for not eating the rice...then again, I don't think I know a Japanese AYCE with rice that bad anyway, lol)

I don't know where they get their "Sweet corn" on the cob from, but it was also a disaster. Horrible taste.

Their salad bar passed as being okay.
There were some foods that also passed as being okay.

Roast beef was very meh, bland and not very flavourful (even with gravy)
Mashed potato was very basic. passed as okay also.

They need a better dessert selection.
The ice cream is excellent, at least! (it's actual ice cream too, not frozen dessert-I checked-made by the London ice cream company in London Ontario)
However, their cake and cookie selection was not so good. Awful dry cake slices and no almond cookies. There were a few snacking treats, but they too were just meh.

Those who know me well enough know that normally I defend ALL AYCE restaurants no matter what and ALWAYS speak highly of them no matter what.
Unfortunately, this location is not earning my desire to return.
Maybe I might give them another chance on a Tuesday for $15.99 (dinner price)...but that's a big maybe!!

They've got the right idea with the AYCE format, just not the greatest food.
Mandarin is ten times better than this place any day!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
if it is this bad, then why waste another $20 for a second try ? :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: if it is this bad, then why waste another $20 for a second try ? :facepalm:
:facepalm: ? Really? Because it's only $15.99 on Tuesdays. Not $20 :facepalm:
Also, beverage is only $1.50 in a large glass. (so if service for a refill slows down, at least it's a large glass to begin with)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: :facepalm: ? Really? Because it's only $15.99 on Tuesdays. Not $20 :facepalm:
Also, beverage is only $1.50 in a large glass. (so if service for a refill slows down, at least it's a large glass to begin with)
thanks for the review. Please tell us if the roast beef, and lobster is avail on Tuesday should you visit again

Was the lobster fresh, or was the meat mushy. You said it was mushy because of the sauce but wasn't sure if it was the meat that was the problem to begin with.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: thanks for the review. Please tell us if the roast beef, and lobster is avail on Tuesday should you visit again

Was the lobster fresh, or was the meat mushy. You said it was mushy because of the sauce but wasn't sure if it was the meat that was the problem to begin with.
I highly doubt they'll have Lobster on Tuesday, but that lobster was so awful all around, I could care less.
I HOPE they have roast beef on Tuesday. It's one of the few good (enough) things they have...even that could be better.
They're clearly only offering Well/medium well (most likely well done) roast beef, but the gravy helped make up for that...at least it's not red meat and it was also, (at least) easy to chew and swallow.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: $15.99 + taxes + $2 tip = $20
You forgot to add $1.50 for the pop. (don't torture yourself with just water, lol)

The price drop makes it worth a second chance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)