Home & Garden

Golden Select Laminate Flooring @ Costco - any experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2021 11:25 am
[OP]
Nov 19, 2004
581 posts
33 upvotes
Montreal

Golden Select Laminate Flooring @ Costco - any experiences?

This flooring was mentioned in another thread back in 2008, and I'm wondering if anyone has used it? It's imported and distributed by jsonic and is made in China.

It works out to about $1.83 per square foot, includes 3 different plank lengths per box, has the foam backing pre-applied to the back of each panel (saving the cost of a foam sheet underneath the floor.

I'm looking at a project where my (5/8" plywood) subfloor with vapour barrier is ready and nailed down.

My other brand is Kronotex (made in Germany) Beaufort Sacramento Pine for about $2.13 per square foot.

Any real-world experiences from fellow RFDers ?

Rob
1221 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Yep and there is even discussion of Costco laminate in this forum.

We did out living room, dining room and hallway earlier this year in the Golden Select from Costco in the walnut. Not a single person that has walked into our house since we put it down can tell it's laminate, they all think it's hardwood. It doesn't "ting" like cheap laminate thanks to the HDF core and has the wood grain embossed into the boards along with the "v" groove edges. Because it's HDF it's more water resistent as well. We left all the scraps sitting out in the rain for weeks and they didn't swell and could still be properly clicked together. It goes together beautifully and the edges don't chip like the cheap stuff. Transitions to match can be bought at HD as well.

Hubby is a flooring installer by trade and none of his contacts could come even close to the price of Costco for a similar product. Even at cost + 5% we couldn't get a similar product for under $5/sqft. Just make sure you buy a couple of extra boxes to be absolutely sure you have enough.

Not sure why you have vapour barrier down though.. ;)
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
219 upvotes
Ontario
We have this in our basement office, sits on DeltaFL (avail at Lowes) and nothing else. It is level and over the year no separating seams have developed which I was afraid of because we didn't put down a plywood subfloor. In Maple colour, the minor scratches are difficult to see, not sure of the same if you used a darker colour.
Upstairs in our main family room, I'd like to put down this laminate I saw at HomeDepot, it is the strongest laminate I'd ever come across, keys could not scratch the sample, can't remember the name, was $4 or $5/sf.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
We just bought 20 boxes of these laminate floor...have not install it yet...but they do looks good! We are planning to put it on 1/2" plywood w/ ridgid insulation board underneath... Went with Oak colour...
Dec 9, 2007
147 posts
67 upvotes
We bought the walnut laminate for our kids playroom in the basement. Its only been in for a few weeks, but it really looks great!

Our contractor really liked the rubber foam backing on it too. Saved him extra work installing it
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2003
1095 posts
181 upvotes
Can someone post pictures of this laminate flooring. I am thinking of doing it on the main floor. Is it easy to DIY?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5819 posts
230 upvotes
GTA
RTM wrote: This flooring was mentioned in another thread back in 2008, and I'm wondering if anyone has used it? It's imported and distributed by jsonic and is made in China.

It works out to about $1.83 per square foot, includes 3 different plank lengths per box, has the foam backing pre-applied to the back of each panel (saving the cost of a foam sheet underneath the floor.

I'm looking at a project where my (5/8" plywood) subfloor with vapour barrier is ready and nailed down.

My other brand is Kronotex (made in Germany) Beaufort Sacramento Pine for about $2.13 per square foot.

Any real-world experiences from fellow RFDers ?

Rob
I installed Kronotex last year in my condo rental. Along with the laminate I also used a rubber underlay. Once installed, I never wore my shoes or slippers on it. It felt very soft and smooth. Secondly my carpenter buddy dropped his hammer about 3 feet in the air and not a single scratch. My tennants love the new flooring they received!!!! The rating on the flooring that I installed by Kronotex (can't remember the exact name) was AC5 (commercial grade)

sk
Jul 25, 2009
99 posts
2 upvotes
Where do you get the Kronotex in Toronto?

I am considering the Golden Select at Costco, it looks very nice compared to the stuff I saw at homedepot and the price seems great.

Currently It's $44 per box ~ 23 sqft per box.

I think it was 14mm very thick, also has the underpadding.

I am considering this for the master bedroom and maybe upstairs hallway.. Any other comments on this? Thx
Jul 25, 2009
99 posts
2 upvotes
Just a bump, I noticed this flooring at Costco on sale today for $34.99 a box $7 off per box.. I am very interested in this, it looks like very good quality at the store atleast when I compared to stuff I've seen at HomeDepot, etc.

~ 22 sq/box pretty good.
14mm thick with foam backer
Textured laminate, looks like it has a groove too.

Anyway let me know if anyone else has experience with this. I am about to pull the trigger on this.

There was two styles one walnut the other a lighter/orange/red finish.

Thx
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5819 posts
230 upvotes
GTA
entilza wrote: Just a bump, I noticed this flooring at Costco on sale today for $34.99 a box $7 off per box.. I am very interested in this, it looks like very good quality at the store atleast when I compared to stuff I've seen at HomeDepot, etc.

~ 22 sq/box pretty good.

Anyway let me know if anyone else has experience with this. I am about to pull the trigger on this.

Thx
I would do your search on RFD first. I remember when the Costco flooring first went on sale everyone was raving about it. However once their project was complete most of the RFDers swore never again as the install was a pain!!!

sk
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16142 posts
4970 upvotes
London
entilza wrote: ...I am considering the Golden Select at Costco, it looks very nice compared to the stuff I saw at homedepot and the price seems great. Currently It's $44 per box ~ 23 sqft per box. I think it was 14mm very thick, also has the underpadding....
Does the 14mm include the attached underpadding?
sunnybono wrote: I would do your search on RFD first. I remember when the Costco flooring first went on sale everyone was raving about it. However once their project was complete most of the RFDers swore never again as the install was a pain!!!sk
It's made by someone else now (in China?). I thinks it's different from the original Costco laminate

The original Costco laminate was called "Allegria" and was made in Canada by Uniboard. The company that owns Uniboard then bought out Pergo and now it's products are all sold under the Pergo name brand.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We've had ours installed since spring and still loving it. It's been through hell this summer as well with other renos, painting, new furniture, 2 dogs, 3 kids and one of them moving out. Not a scratch or any other issues.

Yes norm, this stuff has a 2mm rubber underlay attached right to the boards. As I said earlier in the thread, even with all of hubby's contacts at the retail level and all of them pretty much selling to us at cost +5% no one could even come close to this stuff at the same quality level. Add in the attached rubber underlay on the Costco laminate and it was a no brainer for us.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Jul 25, 2009
99 posts
2 upvotes
Ok, Thanks I guess I will try it.

It's 14 mm with the backer I think the foam backer is like 2mm.

It's made by Jsonic, yes from China. I'm not sure if Jsonic has changed the name from anything else I saw the older threads on RFD but wasn't sure if it was the same product.

They also have Hardwood at a reasonable price as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Just make sure you buy a couple of extra boxes entilza. As we all know with Costco, it can be there today and gone tomorrow...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6228 posts
636 upvotes
BC
sunnybono wrote: I would do your search on RFD first. I remember when the Costco flooring first went on sale everyone was raving about it. However once their project was complete most of the RFDers swore never again as the install was a pain!!!

sk
A pain to install yes.
After 2 years not a mark on it and have had 6 people think it was real hard wood... to me thats worth all the pain :)
That's my 2cents worth
Jul 25, 2009
99 posts
2 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote: Just make sure you buy a couple of extra boxes entilza. As we all know with Costco, it can be there today and gone tomorrow...
Lol Ya thanks, That was one thing that concerned me, they did have quite a large number of skids of this stuff there so if I do like it I may stock up...

I liked the Walnut version and I figure if I ever do another room a walnut texture is pretty common so... But thanks..... Good luck to anyone else who goes with this stuff...
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
entilza wrote: Just a bump, I noticed this flooring at Costco on sale today for $34.99 a box $7 off per box.. I am very interested in this, it looks like very good quality at the store atleast when I compared to stuff I've seen at HomeDepot, etc.

~ 22 sq/box pretty good.

Thx
Hi entilza,

Do how long is the sale?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
5174 posts
4275 upvotes
Ottawa
I was going to go with Home Depot stuff due to my $500 gift card but if everyone raves about this stuff I might give it a shot.... price is good! What colours ARE available though - thing I hate about Costco in Ottawa is that, while there are three locations, each location can have different colours of flooring, and I have no way of getting a sample to take it home to see how it looks.

What colour is best for small places? I'm assuming a light colour...
Oct 8, 2002
618 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
Keelie wrote: A pain to install yes.
After 2 years not a mark on it and have had 6 people think it was real hard wood... to me thats worth all the pain :)
A pain to install? :confused: We put down about 400 sqft for a client and it wasn't bad, with the proper tools of course. The only thing that's a pain is that you pretty much have to lay down each board individually.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Quick_lude wrote: A pain to install? :confused: We put down about 400 sqft for a client and it wasn't bad, with the proper tools of course. The only thing that's a pain is that you pretty much have to lay down each board individually.
What kind of tools do you need to install this thing? I thought all we need is a hammer and a piece of 2x4?