• Jan 7th, 2021 5:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1550 posts
1185 upvotes

Golf Ball brands?

What’s a decent Brand - Model of Golf Ball to get as a Christmas gift.

Recreational Golfer
Retired
Plays in some Men’s leagues

Usually won’t spend the $ on good golf balls, so would appreciate some decent golf balls as a gift
16 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12015 posts
2629 upvotes
Easto wrote: What’s a decent Brand - Model of Golf Ball to get as a Christmas gift.

Recreational Golfer
Retired

Usually won’t spend the $ on good golf balls, so would appreciate some decent golf balls as a gift
For new golf balls, you can split them up into 2 categories:

The top tier are stuff used at the professional level. They typically cost $60+ for a dozen. Titleist Pro V1 (or Pro V1x) is by far the most popular. But Bridgestone Tour B RX, Taylormade TP5x, and Srixon Z Star XV are all good choices. But $5+ per ball is a hard pill to swallow if (more like when) you shank you shot into the forest or don't give it enough power to clear the water. I won't buy these for myself, but happily accept these as a gift.

Mid tier brands range at around the $30 level. There so much variety here. Any from the companies mentioned above and maybe add in Callaway and Wilson as well. It's hard to get into it all because not everybody is looking for the same things in a golf ball. You say he's retired... so I'm going to assume he's in his 60s maybe 70s. His swing speed is probably not that fast. I would look for balls that are softer like the Callaway Supersoft or Titleist Toursoft.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1191 posts
615 upvotes
A golfer who is retired and plays in some men's league is likely a pretty avid golfer and likely has a preferred ball. Seniors will often have slower swing speeds, so the most expensive tour balls are often not the best suited for this type of golfer. If you could ask someone to check what balls the golfer prefers, you can then buy that brand, and do something like get a custom logo printed on the ball. The most avid golfers like to stick to one model of ball (and the optimal ball is often not the most expensive ball) so that they know how it will react.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12553 posts
7293 upvotes
Markham
Some golfers find more balls than they need and so they never buy balls...perhaps a gift card from Golftown.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12015 posts
2629 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Some golfers find more balls than they need and so they never buy balls...perhaps a gift card from Golftown.
You're one of those guys, huh? That hold up other golfers while you try to find your ball in the fescues, but come out 10 minutes later with bulging pockets.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12553 posts
7293 upvotes
Markham
joeyjoejoe wrote: You're one of those guys, huh? That hold up other golfers while you try to find your ball in the fescues, but come out 10 minutes later with bulging pockets.
I like to enjoy the "ENTIRE" course...short grass as well as long grass. Lots of time to do some looking without holding anyone up.

This year the courses were so busy and so many beginners out there, it wasn't hard to find balls especially if you know where to look.
These long hitters would be looking 250 yards from the tee box and the ball was only 160 yards from teh tee and in the rough.

Dec 1, 2020
425 posts
246 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: You're one of those guys, huh? That hold up other golfers while you try to find your ball in the fescues, but come out 10 minutes later with bulging pockets.
I once played a round at royal woodbine. Two players in the four before us spent more time looking for balls than playing with their own ball.

I used to golf a lot. Was around low 80s and now refuse to play unless I'm the first out or at a place or private club with 12 to 15 minute tee times.

My dad and uncle taught me a phrase when I started 40 years ago...eliminate slow play. Apparently a lot of very bad golfers playing a lot of irrelevant games with irrelevant outcomes in the scheme of the world missed this rule.
I likely do not care.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12553 posts
7293 upvotes
Markham
XmasTreelights wrote: I once played a round at royal woodbine. Two players in the four before us spent more time looking for balls than playing with their own ball.

I used to golf a lot. Was around low 80s and now refuse to play unless I'm the first out or at a place or private club with 12 to 15 minute tee times.

My dad and uncle taught me a phrase when I started 40 years ago...eliminate slow play. Apparently a lot of very bad golfers playing a lot of irrelevant games with irrelevant outcomes in the scheme of the world missed this rule.
Sometimes the bad golfers are fast and the good golfers are slow and vice versa. It's not always one way...it's just the way it is.

The way I see it, just be happy you can still play (healthy)....everyone is different, so don't frustrate yourself thinking everyone is slow except you. If you want to play first out, that's great - one less grumpy person on the course to play behind.

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2959 upvotes
keenland
Easto wrote: What’s a decent Brand - Model of Golf Ball to get as a Christmas gift.

Recreational Golfer
Retired

personally I play Pro-V
for a senior..I would suggest Callaway chrome soft...about the $30-40 range,,,the ball is a bit softer and easier on the old guys
Nov 23, 2015
764 posts
444 upvotes
Winnipeg
What self-respecting RFDer would pass up the chance to score some free balls they stumble upon while looking for their own ball? :D
Mar 1, 2020
640 posts
193 upvotes
GTA West
More pros choose the proV1 and proV1X! :) #driveon

(I'm no spring chicken, but performance matters! :)
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
Golf Town - Golf Balls (sorted by Price LOW to HIGH

Wilson Golf balls would suffice for a gift.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
cardguy wrote: i would never give a golfer Wilson golf balls..call can be a personal choice (lol)
If it is a gift for novice players ... yes.

I only use Maxfli balls. Too bad they are no longer around. So now, its Titleist
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12553 posts
7293 upvotes
Markham
LPGA2020 wrote: More pros choose the proV1 and proV1X! :) #driveon

(I'm no spring chicken, but performance matters! :)
When you're a pro playing for big money of course you should play what makes you the best.

For mass majority of golfers, it doesn't mean much because their level of accuracy isn't that good in the first place. More spin on greens doesn't make it better especially if you're always short of the flag (stats show ppl overestimate how far they think they hit it).

Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1191 posts
615 upvotes
You can still play the best ball for you even if you are not a pro, it's just that the optimal ball for the average golfer (especially a retired golfer who likely has a slower swing speed) is likely not going to be the most expensive tour ball. There are some places that do ball fittings with launch monitors.

And something ball hunters should worry about is lyme disease. The territory of ticks is spreading up from the US to most of the parts of Canada with lots of golf courses. It's not a small risk. On PGA tour, Jimmy Walker's career was derailed by Lyme disease. On LPGA, Sandra Gal.
https://www.globalgolfpost.com/best-of/lyme-life/