Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Golf Town

Adams XTD driver $139.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2015 1:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 1, 2014
122 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

[Golf Town] Adams XTD driver $139.99

Adams XTD drive 300off + 10off when spend 50 or more...
got one... 2 hours ago.

Also have 2 for 50 Nike distance golf ball (24pk x2)

(edited) YMMV. (Edmonton North SOO, south may have 1, west unknowns)
apparently the club was discontinued, still a good driver with load of tech. inside and the review are pretty positive on internet.
if you miss the local golf town, you can "Captain Snazzypants" provided ebay.
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1728 posts
599 upvotes
Canada
Tempting for the driver. Let me know how you like it.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3676 posts
399 upvotes
How would this compare to a cobra bio cell or amp cell?
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1378 upvotes
Kanata
Great driver! That said, the Matrix Red Tie shaft it comes standard with plays a bit on the firm side, so stiff is closer to x-stiff and regular closer to stiff, etc - try it out first. I had a hard time with mine until I swapped in an older Diamana red shaft and then it was bomber time. There's a ton of these on eBay through reputable sellers now that the newer line is out (those blue and red colours.....yikes). Look up the seller ksouth9 - he's got 140+ starting at 1 cent and ending within 4 days.

I absolutely love Adams clubs, especially their XTD lines (the acronym stands for "eXtra Time and Dollars" that goes into research, testing and club-by-club quality checks). This driver is no exception - lots of technology under the hood to provide the forgiveness and distance that 99% of golfers need. I play the XTD Forged irons, this driver and an array of XTD DHY hybrids and XTD Ti hybrids.

Finally, I'll just note that these are the last of the line for 'Adams the company' before they got acquired by Taylor Made. They've since been slotted into the casual game-improvement category so classic beauties like the XTD forged irons won't be seen again...

[IMG]http://golfweek.media.clients.ellington ... ns-690.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1728 posts
599 upvotes
Canada
Captain Snazzypants wrote: Great driver! That said, the Matrix Red Tie shaft it comes standard with plays a bit on the firm side, so stiff is closer to x-stiff and regular closer to stiff, etc - try it out first. I had a hard time with mine until I swapped in an older Diamana red shaft and then it was bomber time. There's a ton of these on eBay through reputable sellers now that the newer line is out (those blue and red colours.....yikes). Look up the seller ksouth9 - he's got 140+ starting at 1 cent and ending within 4 days.

I absolutely love Adams clubs, especially their XTD lines (the acronym stands for "eXtra Time and Dollars" that goes into research, testing and club-by-club quality checks). This driver is no exception - lots of technology under the hood to provide the forgiveness and distance that 99% of golfers need. I play the XTD Forged irons, this driver and an array of XTD DHY hybrids and XTD Ti hybrids.

Finally, I'll just note that these are the last of the line for 'Adams the company' before they got acquired by Taylor Made. They've since been slotted into the casual game-improvement category so classic beauties like the XTD forged irons won't be seen again...

You're making me want to upgrade my clubs! lol

I am using Adams irons as well, but I have a mixed hybrid set. I have a taylormade RBZ driver, it's good but I definitely could use some more forgiveness. Time to try out the XTD driver at golf town.
Feb 1, 2012
668 posts
342 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks for your insights.

I started golf 1 week ago . Being 6 f 2 what's your take on me purchasing this driver. Will it be an overkill ?

I am just in the Pratice range.

Also what beginner budget set would you advise .

Captain Snazzypants wrote: Great driver! That said, the Matrix Red Tie shaft it comes standard with plays a bit on the firm side, so stiff is closer to x-stiff and regular closer to stiff, etc - try it out first. I had a hard time with mine until I swapped in an older Diamana red shaft and then it was bomber time. There's a ton of these on eBay through reputable sellers now that the newer line is out (those blue and red colours.....yikes). Look up the seller ksouth9 - he's got 140+ starting at 1 cent and ending within 4 days.

Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
KT2312 wrote: Thanks for your insights.

I started golf 1 week ago . Being 6 f 2 what's your take on me purchasing this driver. Will it be an overkill ?

I'm the same height as you. As a beginner I started off with a set of Tommy Armour 845's Silver Scott 15 years ago. Today, a set of shafts and about 7 re-grips later I'm playing with the exact same set. I've tried hitting other clubs but always go back to my old faithful...this thing will last a lifetime. Not much technology in irons.

Woods OTOH...I'm a sucker for marketing on the golf channel so I've been through them all over the years hoping for an extra 10 or 15yards. TM, Callaway, Ping, Cobra, Nike. Right now I'm using the Bio Cell with is pretty good and forgiving considering the price.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2014
122 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
2Sedins1Cup wrote: Tempting for the driver. Let me know how you like it.
I had been known this is great driver for long time, just saw this deal and told my wife pick up for me locally, never have chance swing it yet, definitely try it out this weekend :D
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3676 posts
399 upvotes

as a beginner spending lots of money on clubs doesn't make sense. i would look to kijiji or craigslist and find some old used clubs. you will first learn how to swing the club and making contact. having the best clubs in the world won't help u there. once u get a hang of it, you will figure out what u like, then you can upgrade club by club as u go.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2014
122 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Electricute wrote: How would this compare to a cobra bio cell or amp cell?
I haven't had chance to swing those neither, there are more review on interest said those cells are very forgiving, gonna try it at golftown simulator sometime see how's on my own hand.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2014
122 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

TM is good brand, but too bad for us no more "Adams"
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3674 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA
This is not a driver for beginners FYI.

It is a low launching, low spinning head with a fairly stout shaft. If you're considering buying this, make sure you hit it in the simulators first.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2014
122 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
N8Magic wrote: This is not a driver for beginners FYI.

It is a low launching, low spinning head with a fairly stout shaft. If you're considering buying this, make sure you hit it in the simulators first.
Totally agree ... simulator is the right way to go to find the right(best) club fit for your own, reviews and comments just for reference.
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1378 upvotes
Kanata
Any idea what your swing speed is like? That would determine the flex of shaft you'd need, and that's something few people consider carefully - the shaft is the engine of the club and quite important to get the right flex and length. Newcomer or old-hand, I'd always recommend people to shop used and from reputable, high-traffic sellers on eBay (so you know you're not getting fake clubs). A 20 year old set of irons for $50 locally could turn you right off the game if they're impossible to hit, while anything made in the last 10 years or so will have a good amount of forgiveness built into them. PM me if you want a second opinion on a set you've found...
Cas77 wrote: I'm the same height as you. As a beginner I started off with a set of Tommy Armour 845's Silver Scott 15 years ago. Today, a set of shafts and about 7 re-grips later I'm playing with the exact same set. I've tried hitting other clubs but always go back to my old faithful...this thing will last a lifetime. Not much technology in irons. Woods OTOH...I'm a sucker for marketing on the golf channel so I've been through them all over the years hoping for an extra 10 or 15yards. TM, Callaway, Ping, Cobra, Nike. Right now I'm using the Bio Cell with is pretty good and forgiving considering the price.
Yup...whatever works, works. The old saying "If it ain't broke..." certainly applies to golf. I played the same McGregor irons I picked up in Japan for 20 years (got them clearance priced but the MSRP was $3k! They don't bother selling clubs like that overseas...) and after selling those, I felt like a "suddenly single" divorcee running around trying to nail everything in sight :lol: I've settled down again with the XTD Forged clubs...
Electricute wrote: as a beginner spending lots of money on clubs doesn't make sense. i would look to kijiji or craigslist and find some old used clubs. you will first learn how to swing the club and making contact. having the best clubs in the world won't help u there. once u get a hang of it, you will figure out what u like, then you can upgrade club by club as u go.
Amen - Kijiji etc is good, but eBay can be even better. I'll be making the short trip over the bridge to Ogdensburg, NY to pick up a few golf items I got from ksouth9, golfetail and rockbottomgolf recently (ebay auctions, not set prices in their stores). Brand new clubs for less than what someone local usually wants, and TONS of selection on anything that's a year old or more. Last time I came back with $175 worth of stuff and the guy just said "thanks, have a nice day" and waved me through. Not sure if golf gear is exempt from duties or the guy was just being nice, but even at 13% (and after the bad exchange rate nowadays) it's still way cheaper...
AddieVU wrote: TM is good brand, but too bad for us no more "Adams"
Yes, it's a shame that Adams is no longer the pioneering maker out there. They changed the golf market with their amazing hybrids and later the velocity slot technologies, but at least that tech is making its way into a lot of the TM clubs. I'd love to try out the new TM Tour Preferred UDI 1, 2 or 3 driving irons. What used to be a thing of the past is back again, thanks to the slot that makes then hittable. Seeing Jason Day hit his 1-iron 290 yards at the US Open was a sight...
N8Magic wrote: This is not a driver for beginners FYI.
I'd say it's an excellent driver head for beginners with lots of forgiveness and distance built into it, but totally agree that the rather stout stock shaft changes that unless the regular flex (which is closer than average to stiff flex) works out. For those with slower swing speeds, I'd recommend the 12* over the more common 9 or 10.5, and the other thing to consider is the shaft length - it amazes me that they continue to sell drivers that play 45.5" on average when most golfers can't maintain a consistent swing and make contact with such a long pole. I always play a 44.5" driver which is my sweet spot, and I've heard that a lot of PGA pros are in the 44-45" range as well - possibly also because of their long arms and relatively shorter distance to the ground (taller players don't necessarily need longer clubs).
[OP]
Oct 1, 2014
122 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Captain Snazzypants wrote: Any idea what your swing speed is like? That would determine the flex of shaft you'd need, and that's something few people consider carefully - the shaft is the engine of the club and quite important to get the right flex and length. Newcomer or old-hand, I'd always recommend people to shop used and from reputable, high-traffic sellers on eBay (so you know you're not getting fake clubs). A 20 year old set of irons for $50 locally could turn you right off the game if they're impossible to hit, while anything made in the last 10 years or so will have a good amount of forgiveness built into them. PM me if you want a second opinion on a set you've found...

Yup...whatever works, works. The old saying "If it ain't broke..." certainly applies to golf. I played the same McGregor irons I picked up in Japan for 20 years (got them clearance priced but the MSRP was $3k! They don't bother selling clubs like that overseas...) and after selling those, I felt like a "suddenly single" divorcee running around trying to nail everything in sight :lol: I've settled down again with the XTD Forged clubs...

Amen - Kijiji etc is good, but eBay can be even better. I'll be making the short trip over the bridge to Ogdensburg, NY to pick up a few golf items I got from ksouth9, golfetail and rockbottomgolf recently (ebay auctions, not set prices in their stores). Brand new clubs for less than what someone local usually wants, and TONS of selection on anything that's a year old or more. Last time I came back with $175 worth of stuff and the guy just said "thanks, have a nice day" and waved me through. Not sure if golf gear is exempt from duties or the guy was just being nice, but even at 13% (and after the bad exchange rate nowadays) it's still way cheaper...

Yes, it's a shame that Adams is no longer the pioneering maker out there. They changed the golf market with their amazing hybrids and later the velocity slot technologies, but at least that tech is making its way into a lot of the TM clubs. I'd love to try out the new TM Tour Preferred UDI 1, 2 or 3 driving irons. What used to be a thing of the past is back again, thanks to the slot that makes then hittable. Seeing Jason Day hit his 1-iron 290 yards at the US Open was a sight...

I'd say it's an excellent driver head for beginners with lots of forgiveness and distance built into it, but totally agree that the rather stout stock shaft changes that unless the regular flex (which is closer than average to stiff flex) works out. For those with slower swing speeds, I'd recommend the 12* over the more common 9 or 10.5, and the other thing to consider is the shaft length - it amazes me that they continue to sell drivers that play 45.5" on average when most golfers can't maintain a consistent swing and make contact with such a long pole. I always play a 44.5" driver which is my sweet spot, and I've heard that a lot of PGA pros are in the 44-45" range as well - possibly also because of their long arms and relatively shorter distance to the ground (taller players don't necessarily need longer clubs).
Thanks for all those valuable comments ...
About the shaft length, I told my wife tell the staff at golftown about my height and ask the right shaft length for me when she pick up that xtd for me, apparently they told her, all the driver shaft came with the same standard length, but they will cut the right length fit for me, after i try it if doesn't fit... so do you know there is any references how can we find the shaft length fit to ourselves(height ? arm length ?)
PS: I am shorter guy about 171 cm, maybe short arm as well, with the standard shaft length
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote: I'm the same height as you. As a beginner I started off with a set of Tommy Armour 845's Silver Scott 15 years ago. Today, a set of shafts and about 7 re-grips later I'm playing with the exact same set. I've tried hitting other clubs but always go back to my old faithful...this thing will last a lifetime. Not much technology in irons.

Woods OTOH...I'm a sucker for marketing on the golf channel so I've been through them all over the years hoping for an extra 10 or 15yards. TM, Callaway, Ping, Cobra, Nike. Right now I'm using the Bio Cell with is pretty good and forgiving considering the price.
Lol Im the same way, I still use those same irons and got them around the same time you did. Woods and wedges are a different story..Titilist 910s with custom shafts and Cleveland GC15s
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3674 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA
AddieVU wrote: Thanks for all those valuable comments ...
About the shaft length, I told my wife tell the staff at golftown about my height and ask the right shaft length for me when she pick up that xtd for me, apparently they told her, all the driver shaft came with the same standard length, but they will cut the right length fit for me, after i try it if doesn't fit... so do you know there is any references how can we find the shaft length fit to ourselves(height ? arm length ?)
PS: I am shorter guy about 171 cm, maybe short arm as well, with the standard shaft length
There is no "right" shaft length when it comes to a driver, unless you are very short.

Drivers are usually cut down to a shorter length for added control. It will cost you some distance, but you will likely make up for it with better quality contact. Most PGA Tour pros play their driver somewhere in the 44-45" range. They don't need the added length as they hit it far enough already and would rather have more control. Whoever made the statement that all drivers are the same length is incorrect. MOST are somewhere between 45.25 and 46" off the rack, but there have been exceptions like the Taylor Made Superfast 2.0 (46.75") and Cobra Long Tom (48").
[OP]
Oct 1, 2014
122 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
N8Magic wrote: There is no "right" shaft length when it comes to a driver, unless you are very short.

Drivers are usually cut down to a shorter length for added control. It will cost you some distance, but you will likely make up for it with better quality contact. Most PGA Tour pros play their driver somewhere in the 44-45" range. They don't need the added length as they hit it far enough already and would rather have more control. Whoever made the statement that all drivers are the same length is incorrect. MOST are somewhere between 45.25 and 46" off the rack, but there have been exceptions like the Taylor Made Superfast 2.0 (46.75") and Cobra Long Tom (48").
Cool ... I will go back to make it 45", definitely need more control, i always having a curving driving, sometime on trees !