• Sep 17th, 2020 5:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2187 posts
1693 upvotes
Markham

[Golf Town] Cobra Speedzone Drivers $450

If anyone is heading in to Golf Town to re-grip with the free Lamkin grips, you may want to check out the Cobra Speedzone drivers which are now a $100 off. These drivers are well reviewed and selling for less than some used Kijiji ads. I've been eyeing one for a few weeks, and may pull the trigger as my preferred option, the Mavrik, is still too rich fo rme.

Their Speedzone Extremes (more forgiving) are on sale for the same price as are their Speedzone woods and hybrids (prices vary). Normally Golf Town offers free custom fittings for clubs over $549, so maybe this is something you can haggle/negotiate though I wouldn't hold my breath.
Last edited by HDawg on Sep 17th, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
18 replies
Nov 10, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
I have the F9, which the SZ replaces, and I love it. I’m a mid handicapper and the driver is really great for me. I think higher handicappers may benefit more from the extreme.
Mar 28, 2016
331 posts
102 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
Cobra updates their driver every year so you can probably find the SZ for $399 early next season.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2148 posts
394 upvotes
clseea wrote: Will I be as amazing as nutty Bryson if I use this?
Only if you wear the hat too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5993 posts
1879 upvotes
Thornhill
Maybe just me,but I haven't seen any improvement when I tried different ones. IMHO, just gimmick after gimmick with nonsense explanation on why it is better and in the end it's all the same. Sure, my oldest 15 years driver probably goes to about 280y max and newer ones I tried I can push it to 290y on occasion which in real world translates to nothing and thus I am still using my 15 year old driver ( Nike 460cc, circa 2005).
I did noticed that a lot of manufacturers did a lot of changes to their drivers around 2010-15 or so and then just began milking them by introducing slight changes for the sake of marketing.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4644 posts
1107 upvotes
I'm still using a TM 580 with a Grafalloy Blue.

No BS, would I see an improvement buying something like this?
Let's hug it out
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21688 posts
299 upvotes
Newmarket
dazz wrote: Maybe just me,but I haven't seen any improvement when I tried different ones. IMHO, just gimmick after gimmick with nonsense explanation on why it is better and in the end it's all the same. Sure, my oldest 15 years driver probably goes to about 280y max and newer ones I tried I can push it to 290y on occasion which in real world translates to nothing and thus I am still using my 15 year old driver ( Nike 460cc, circa 2005).
I did noticed that a lot of manufacturers did a lot of changes to their drivers around 2010-15 or so and then just began milking them by introducing slight changes for the sake of marketing.
The free fittings at Golftown are the key IMO.
brought my old RBZ driver with me last year and tried 3-4 new clubs on the simulator..M5, F8 etc and most I hit worse than my RBZ or not enough better to justify an upgrade. They were honest about it, advised me to put a stiffer shaft on my club, turn down the loft, and stick with it. I ended up trading it in at a trade in event, and buying the new (then) RBZ Black with the right shaft (ended up cheaper and of course all new).

was really impressed with the experience, became a lot more loyal to them as the result.

if youre consistently hitting 280-290, youre doing something right :)
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1793 posts
1445 upvotes
Waterloo
dazz wrote: Maybe just me,but I haven't seen any improvement when I tried different ones. IMHO, just gimmick after gimmick with nonsense explanation on why it is better and in the end it's all the same. Sure, my oldest 15 years driver probably goes to about 280y max and newer ones I tried I can push it to 290y on occasion which in real world translates to nothing and thus I am still using my 15 year old driver ( Nike 460cc, circa 2005).
nike and adidas exited the market. Callaway and TM took the opportunity to jack up the prices of their drivers. every other manufacturers followed suit.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1104 posts
536 upvotes
RCGA wrote: I'm still using a TM 580 with a Grafalloy Blue.

No BS, would I see an improvement buying something like this?
I'd say you would see a ton of difference from a 2002 TM 580 to something new. I'd say probably 15 yards and tighter dispersion on mishits. I think the biggest thing you would notice is the mishits not only go straighter, they go further as well on mishits due to less speed loss across the entire face.

The other obvious bonus is adjustability is really amazing nowadays as you can mess with lie angles, lofts, weight dynamics of face vs draw. The shaft offerings are also massive nowadays.

Safe to say it's time for an upgrade if you're not rocking something from 2010 on. The issue in the last 5 years or so is the price has gone up really big along with the new technology & materials.

Mygolfspy is really good for scoping out the top 3 or 4 clubs per year. If you're tight on cash go check out their testing from like 2018 or something like that and you'll still get almost all of the performance for half price.
Nov 18, 2019
114 posts
48 upvotes
GTA
Looking for a very forgiving driver :) Is this one?
Oct 20, 2019
76 posts
21 upvotes
stealth wrote: The free fittings at Golftown are the key IMO.
brought my old RBZ driver with me last year and tried 3-4 new clubs on the simulator..M5, F8 etc and most I hit worse than my RBZ or not enough better to justify an upgrade. They were honest about it, advised me to put a stiffer shaft on my club, turn down the loft, and stick with it. I ended up trading it in at a trade in event, and buying the new (then) RBZ Black with the right shaft (ended up cheaper and of course all new).

was really impressed with the experience, became a lot more loyal to them as the result.

if youre consistently hitting 280-290, youre doing something right :)
+1 for the rbz 2.0 driver
got it on sale for 200ish
cant beat the value
a 600$ driver may add 10 yards but is that worth an extra 400$ for me. not a chance
Nov 23, 2006
463 posts
80 upvotes
ChibaK wrote: Looking for a very forgiving driver :) Is this one?
Depends on what your miss is and how you deliver the club. Do you miss high/ low, toe/ heel. Are you too inside and up or too steep and across.

Most modern drivers are the same out of the middle of the face (it's regulated and there's a legal limit that they hit ages ago). The benefits to the new drivers is mainly more MOI (forgiveness on mishits essentially) and adjustability (to help you deliver the face square and to the middle of the face).

Generally Ping G410 Plus/ SFT, Maverick Max, Cobra SZ Xtreme. The higher spinning one with the heel weight.

Taylormade Drivers with the twist face are good too. But you need a decent swing to benefit from it.
Last edited by JLei2k on Sep 17th, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 18, 2019
114 posts
48 upvotes
GTA
JLei2k wrote: Depends on what your miss is and how you deliver the club. Do you miss high/ low, toe/ heel. Are you too inside and up or too steep and across.

Most modern drivers are the same out of the middle of the face (it's regulated and there's a legal limit that they hit ages ago). The benefits to the new drivers is mainly more MOI (forgiveness on mishits essentially) and adjustability (to help you deliver the ball square and to the middle of the face).

Generally Ping G410 Plus/ SFT, Maverick Max, Cobra SZ Xtreme. The higher spinning one with the heel weight.

Taylormade Drivers with the twist face are good too. But you need a decent swing to benefit from it.
I do both high and low misses, and the ball slicing.
Nov 23, 2006
463 posts
80 upvotes
ChibaK wrote: I do both high and low misses, and the ball slicing.
Ping G410 SFT is good. You can also get the Plus if you envision yourself getting rid of your slice at some point (lessons) since it has a movable weight instead of fixed in the heel. G425 just released so those should drop in price at some point.

But you could so buy the SZ Xtreme here and just close the face (increase the loft).