Expired Hot Deals

Golf Town

Garmin Approach S10 golf GPS watch - 119.98$

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2021 9:04 pm
Sr. Member
Aug 7, 2011
993 posts
693 upvotes
Did anyone's watch actually ship yet? Mine hasn't in a few days.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 27, 2003
1231 posts
849 upvotes
Ottawa
1theguy1 wrote: Did anyone's watch actually ship yet? Mine hasn't in a few days.
Where did you order it from? The $95 S20 I ordered from Sportchek is still "in progress". Hopefully it goes through. I did in store pickup for the S10 from my local Best Buy who had a bunch in stock.
Newbie
Oct 29, 2018
15 posts
6 upvotes
balla1213 wrote: This is a great "budget" golf watch. It has everything you need, GPS, scoring and ability to move the flag. What keeps the price down is that it is not colour.

The S10 has been my go to golf watch and I'm only getting rid of mine because I just got a galaxy 4.
What App do you use? I've tried a few and they all seem to update the yardage too slowly and can get confused on what hole I'm on
Jr. Member
May 28, 2018
186 posts
240 upvotes
Bought one and played a round, great device.

Doesn't help the fact that I'm shit though. What good is knowing the yardage when I'm just gonna thin my shot anyway.

*Edit* - also need to commend Garmin for customer service. My strap came a bit scuffed (device doesn't otherwise look used) so I emailed them, they are sending me a new strap. Shipping painfully slow but they had warned me of that.
Newbie
Nov 4, 2018
54 posts
52 upvotes
taximan87 wrote: Bought one and played a round, great device.

Doesn't help the fact that I'm shit though. What good is knowing the yardage when I'm just gonna thin my shot anyway.

*Edit* - also need to commend Garmin for customer service. My strap came a bit scuffed (device doesn't otherwise look used) so I emailed them, they are sending me a new strap. Shipping painfully slow but they had warned me of that.
stop leaning back on your shot
Jr. Member
May 28, 2018
186 posts
240 upvotes
JimmyP63255 wrote: stop leaning back on your shot
Oh...I know. Doing it consistently is something else altogether. Went to the range last night, hit two solid buckets. Went for a third bucket and it was like I had never hit an iron before. I'll tell myself it was because I was tired..
Member
Sep 13, 2009
248 posts
85 upvotes
SENSEI wrote: When is the last time you updated the firmware and courses on the unit?
I'm still using the G6 from ages ago. I've only had a few issues with the GPS, but my friends with watches would have the same issues. So it's pretty hit of miss depending on the course and weather maybe?

I can't go back to a watch after going to handheld personally. Even when I had a watch I was trying it to my belt anyways.
Updated every time one was available. If multiple devices have the same issue on the same holes then inaccuracy must somehow be related to course mapping. Only decent GPS I've come across was Sky Caddie, just didn't want to pay those annual fees.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2002
2878 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
ssb24 wrote: Updated every time one was available. If multiple devices have the same issue on the same holes then inaccuracy must somehow be related to course mapping. Only decent GPS I've come across was Sky Caddie, just didn't want to pay those annual fees.
Come to think of it, I've had a few instances where my G6 was being wonky; but a quick off/on and the round resumed and GPS seemed to reset itself.
I've play 2-3 rounds a week with it since 2012 and can only think of less then 2-3 times it's happened when I look up at the flag and know distance isn't right. (Then can confirm with friend's range finder)

Paying for a GPS over a watch is worth it for me:
I like being able to see the full layout of the hole (in color) and being able to "drop a pin" to find layup distance to anywhere. (BT, slope, club selector isn't enough for me to feel the need to upgrade)
When you're playing a course for the first time and have a blind shot, watches aren't that helpful.
Member
Sep 13, 2009
248 posts
85 upvotes
SENSEI wrote: Come to think of it, I've had a few instances where my G6 was being wonky; but a quick off/on and the round resumed and GPS seemed to reset itself.
I've play 2-3 rounds a week with it since 2012 and can only think of less then 2-3 times it's happened when I look up at the flag and know distance isn't right. (Then can confirm with friend's range finder)

Paying for a GPS over a watch is worth it for me:
I like being able to see the full layout of the hole (in color) and being able to "drop a pin" to find layup distance to anywhere. (BT, slope, club selector isn't enough for me to feel the need to upgrade)
When you're playing a course for the first time and have a blind shot, watches aren't that helpful.
Great to hear you've had good success, and totally agree with your reasons for handheld over watch. Might have to try a new unit or a decent app.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 20, 2004
883 posts
270 upvotes
Markham
balla1213 wrote: I'm only getting rid of mine because I just got a galaxy 4.
Which app are you using on your galaxy 4?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 18, 2004
1081 posts
439 upvotes
Besides the price, what are the advantages of using this vs a smart watch ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 27, 2003
1231 posts
849 upvotes
Ottawa
Airbum88 wrote: Besides the price, what are the advantages of using this vs a smart watch ?
Battery life. It also doesn't try to focus on many things, just golf stuff. Smart watches also tend to need companion apps that charge a subscription fee.
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3539 upvotes
1theguy1 wrote: Did anyone's watch actually ship yet? Mine hasn't in a few days.
I ordered on September 12, shipped on September 13, and I received it at the end of that week.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2006
3315 posts
2750 upvotes
Markham
taximan87 wrote: Bought one and played a round, great device.

Doesn't help the fact that I'm shit though. What good is knowing the yardage when I'm just gonna thin my shot anyway.

*Edit* - also need to commend Garmin for customer service. My strap came a bit scuffed (device doesn't otherwise look used) so I emailed them, they are sending me a new strap. Shipping painfully slow but they had warned me of that.
Yeah, Garmin's support I have to give props to as well. I bought a used S60 that had ghosting on the screen. As the watch was under a year, they did a warranty replacement, no problem.

As for helping your game (not you specifically but anyone), even if one struggles with yardages and contact, knowing the distance does help develop course management. Over time, once your contact is where it needs to be, you can work on dialing in distances.

I mean, there's natural improvement over playing and practice, but I feel my watch has at least helped me shave a few strokes as it did help with my club selection when I was learning. I also have a rangefinder, which I still use, but I tend to just use my watch 75% of the time exclusively for that. I will say, scorekeeping is a nice bonus with my watch.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Member
May 27, 2008
429 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
deeznuts wrote: Ah, nice an S20 user checking in. I have to say I am really enjoying the feel of the S10 right now. Very light and thin. I think the S20 is going to be a bit of a chunker.

Do you find yourself using the additional features in the S20. Bluetooth, fitness tracker, etc . ? Does it have some connectivity to an app or something that the S10 doesn't have? Think I need to do a bit more Googling.
This was the comparison I used when deciding to buy: https://bestgpstech.com/garmin-approach ... omparison/

With the Sportcheck S20 being cheaper than the S10 from golftown it's a no brainer. I believe the S10 and S20 are the same physically, it definitely doesn't feel thick. The auto analyzer is a very cool feature and tracks your clubs well. Also not sure how the S10 connects/transfers your round into the Garmin Connect/Golf app. But with the S20 I just open the app up with the watch powered on and my round shows up due to Bluetooth connectivity. I only use this watch for golf so the fitness tracking (pedometer really) isn't huge up sell. But still an extra something nice to have.
Member
Nov 15, 2019
246 posts
317 upvotes
Handheld GPS is great, especially for courses you aren't familiar with. I use a GPS watch all the time, but if I'm playing somewhere novel, I use a free golf GPS app on my phone. The Grint has a really awesome free golf GPS, but there are others.

Top