• Nov 27th, 2020 11:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 4, 2004
257 posts
23 upvotes

[Golf Town] Golf Town Clearance and Friends and Family

A couple decent clearance deals and the friends and family 15% comes off additionally.
Mox

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or lose, its how drunk you get."
H. Simpson

My Ebay Rating
36 replies
Jul 20, 2009
837 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
Damn Taylormade already at M6 on clearance? Feels like I just bought my SLDR set and they're ancient now lol
May 12, 2019
380 posts
492 upvotes
Some decent deals but no hot ones like the Aeroburners at Sportcheck (still salty my order got cancelled)
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
45 posts
46 upvotes
419justblaz wrote: Some decent deals but no hot ones like the Aeroburners at Sportcheck (still salty my order got cancelled)
These deals are pretty good. The aero burner was 4 year old club that wasn’t particularly good when it came out. They did you a favour. You can find other better similar vintage woods for $40 on kijiji.

Golftown will never ever sell stuff for pricing similar to the sport check sale because they’ll clear it out long before that in a demo sale or flip it to their used club business.
Apr 4, 2017
516 posts
428 upvotes
Mox wrote: A couple decent clearance deals and the friends and family 15% comes off additionally.
How do you get the Friends and Families 15% off??? Is there a promo code? Thanks
May 12, 2019
380 posts
492 upvotes
TidalFlo wrote: These deals are pretty good. The aero burner was 4 year old club that wasn’t particularly good when it came out. They did you a favour. You can find other better similar vintage woods for $40 on kijiji.

Golftown will never ever sell stuff for pricing similar to the sport check sale because they’ll clear it out long before that in a demo sale or flip it to their used club business.
Any new iron set from the past 10 years for $150 is a steal - even if its an Aeroburner. I'm coming from 25 year old blades which I've used to learn how to play, so I desperately need a new set of clubs.

The Golftown stuff is a good deal and equipment, but at around $500 I'd be also looking at getting fitted as well, but the stores are closed.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2004
257 posts
23 upvotes
realtycoon wrote: How do you get the Friends and Families 15% off??? Is there a promo code? Thanks
No code needed it should come up on the link.
Mox

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or lose, its how drunk you get."
H. Simpson

My Ebay Rating
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
45 posts
46 upvotes
419justblaz wrote: Any new iron set from the past 10 years for $150 is a steal - even if its an Aeroburner. I'm coming from 25 year old blades which I've used to learn how to play, so I desperately need a new set of clubs.

The Golftown stuff is a good deal and equipment, but at around $500 I'd be also looking at getting fitted as well, but the stores are closed.
I didn’t see any $150 iron sets just the $40 woods which I am referring to. I can’t argue that $150 iron new set from Taylormade from the last five years is probably a very decent deal for a beginner or very occasional golfer.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1727 posts
855 upvotes
Laval
Eyeing the cobra f7...shows 382 with Save extra 15% but at checkout, it looks like 15% was applied on 400 something taking it back to 382$ + tax
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6555 posts
2244 upvotes
Vancouver
I've seen better deals, so nothing for me personally. If you are after the latest stuff,they maybe,but then it's weird you believe the hype how this new iron or driver is better than previous. Essentially they are 99.8% the same.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Aug 11, 2009
148 posts
71 upvotes
mtlmonk wrote: Eyeing the cobra f7...shows 382 with Save extra 15% but at checkout, it looks like 15% was applied on 400 something taking it back to 382$ + tax
I think the price in red when looking at the item already includes the 15% discount.
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
45 posts
46 upvotes
dazz wrote: I've seen better deals, so nothing for me personally. If you are after the latest stuff,they maybe,but then it's weird you believe the hype how this new iron or driver is better than previous. Essentially they are 99.8% the same.
Brilliant post, thanks for this! So much concrete, factual truth. That’s why I still play hickories and gutta perchas...
Mar 25, 2010
96 posts
57 upvotes
Ottawa
dazz wrote: I've seen better deals, so nothing for me personally. If you are after the latest stuff,they maybe,but then it's weird you believe the hype how this new iron or driver is better than previous. Essentially they are 99.8% the same.
I would agree year to year the changes are not huge but if you are moving up from clubs even only a few generations old, it definitely is noticeable. I upgraded a couple of years ago to M4 irons from Ping irons that were only about 5 years old, the forgiveness on off centre hits on the latest iron designs is really phenomenal. I don't think this is exclusive to Taylor Made, most of the major club manufacturers (Ping, TM, Callaway, Cobra etc) all make really good products.

Shaft technology has really improved too. The Recoil shafts are light, but perform like steel. I would ignore the distance gains from a specific iron as many of the lofts are different now, a 7 iron today may have less loft than a 7 iron in your current set, so take the distance improvements you may see with a grain of salt. You may have to recalibrate what clubs you will hit in from.
Nov 27, 2014
125 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Was hoping for deals closer to sportchek even though I knew it was a longshot, wanted to fill out the rest of my bag.

Managed to get the Callaway X Series from SC for $150 upgrading my 2001 Wilson ultras, lets see how this new technology helps! Not sure what the reviews are like for these clubs.
May 9, 2012
824 posts
212 upvotes
Montreal
Some sales were cheaper yesterday without this F&F promo. Also, sign up to their email distribution to get 25$ off your first order.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1430 posts
382 upvotes
Bedford
419justblaz wrote: Any new iron set from the past 10 years for $150 is a steal - even if its an Aeroburner. I'm coming from 25 year old blades which I've used to learn how to play, so I desperately need a new set of clubs.

As we probably all know, but 'won't admit' , is that most of this golf club crap is marketing. You are giving up something playing with a 10 year old driver, but if a 4 year old driver fits your swing and works for you, buying the latest probably won't help much. As for irons, I think there is less and less tech developments. I belong to a 'mid range' golf club, and the seasoned members really don't spend much time fiddling with their clubs from year to year. When they replace irons, its usually because the groves are worn out and can't be sharpened anymore. I am still playing a set of R11 irons that I am perfectly fine with. I have been playing an Aeroburner driver for the past 2 seasons , and am happy with it. The strokes are in the short game, just keep it in the fairway and everything is easy :)
May 12, 2019
380 posts
492 upvotes
baillieul wrote: As we probably all know, but 'won't admit' , is that most of this golf club crap is marketing. You are giving up something playing with a 10 year old driver, but if a 4 year old driver fits your swing and works for you, buying the latest probably won't help much. As for irons, I think there is less and less tech developments. I belong to a 'mid range' golf club, and the seasoned members really don't spend much time fiddling with their clubs from year to year. When they replace irons, its usually because the groves are worn out and can't be sharpened anymore. I am still playing a set of R11 irons that I am perfectly fine with. I have been playing an Aeroburner driver for the past 2 seasons , and am happy with it. The strokes are in the short game, just keep it in the fairway and everything is easy :)
I agree, but my current driver is 260cc. So buying the aeroburner driver and iron set was a no-brainer for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1216 posts
295 upvotes
I’ve been wanting a Ping G400 Max driver for a year now. It’s now in Clearance, but still $410! It’s better than my current Ping G, but it will have to get to $300 or less.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2012
1315 posts
784 upvotes
Not bad but I was hoping for a deeper discount on pings hahaha.