• Nov 27th, 2020 11:37 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1601 posts
520 upvotes
Bedford
419justblaz wrote: I agree, but my current driver is 260cc. So buying the aeroburner driver and iron set was a no-brainer for me.
For sure, you will see an improvement in distance and forgiveness.

I had played a Wilson Staff 460 cc driver for 10 years. Hit it fine, usually in the fairway and such. Upgraded 2 years ago to the Aeroburner 2 years ago. Swing speed definitely improved, and maybe get an extra 5 or 10 yards. If the manufactures claims were true, every year they say you get another 10 yards, so I should have ( but didn't ) gotten another 100 yards.
Jan 15, 2016
738 posts
760 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
baillieul wrote: As we probably all know, but 'won't admit' , is that most of this golf club crap is marketing. You are giving up something playing with a 10 year old driver, but if a 4 year old driver fits your swing and works for you, buying the latest probably won't help much. As for irons, I think there is less and less tech developments. I belong to a 'mid range' golf club, and the seasoned members really don't spend much time fiddling with their clubs from year to year. When they replace irons, its usually because the groves are worn out and can't be sharpened anymore. I am still playing a set of R11 irons that I am perfectly fine with. I have been playing an Aeroburner driver for the past 2 seasons , and am happy with it. The strokes are in the short game, just keep it in the fairway and everything is easy :)
if you follow the "marketing" number from 2001 to now, people should be hitting 450yds :) great vid on youtube shows pros proving that though there is some improvement, it translates to about 10-20 yards from drivers 10years ago to today.

here's a sample for titleist:

last week, the sale on the wilson putters were $52 so this upped the price a bit the 60s.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3800 posts
604 upvotes
Philbert wrote: I’ve been wanting a Ping G400 Max driver for a year now. It’s now in Clearance, but still $410! It’s better than my current Ping G, but it will have to get to $300 or less.
Have a look at the f9.. I picked a brand new one from global golf last week for 240.. gt has them on for 300
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1290 posts
469 upvotes
shushwap wrote: Have a look at the f9.. I picked a brand new one from global golf last week for 240.. gt has them on for 300
I've heard very good things about the F9. I had the Amp Cell irons and woods, but traded them for Steelheads. Driving is the worst part of my game, and the Ping , so far, is the best driver I've hit. I demoed the 400 Max on a course last year and loved it.
Oct 1, 2007
324 posts
80 upvotes
biscuits wrote: if you follow the "marketing" number from 2001 to now, people should be hitting 450yds :) great vid on youtube shows pros proving that though there is some improvement, it translates to about 10-20 yards from drivers 10years ago to today.

here's a sample for titleist:

last week, the sale on the wilson putters were $52 so this upped the price a bit the 60s.
Watch all of Rick Shiels videos on youtube. He shows how the difference between newer models is negligible (e.g. he compares an M4 and M5 and gets maybe a couple of yards more). Unless you a consistent hitter with a low handicap, any club from the last 5 years should suit you fine.
Oct 24, 2009
997 posts
1385 upvotes
Vancouver
Suhayb217 wrote: Watch all of Rick Shiels videos on youtube. He shows how the difference between newer models is negligible (e.g. he compares an M4 and M5 and gets maybe a couple of yards more). Unless you a consistent hitter with a low handicap, any club from the last 5 years should suit you fine.
Just to add, unless you are single digit handicap, buying 5 year or so old used club is good way to save tons of money. I've had Titlest 910 for ages (probably 10 years) and recently bought 917 for $130. I've gained about 10 yards (same shaft). I am 15 handicap.
Btw, golf town price for golf shoes is terrible. I managed to get $30 adicross knit one through clearance from Sportchek while Golftown is clearing at $95. Although Sportchek don't carry Titlest product, if you are looking for TM/Adidas, Sportchek probably would have better deals if you wait around.
Jan 15, 2016
738 posts
760 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Suhayb217 wrote: Watch all of Rick Shiels videos on youtube. He shows how the difference between newer models is negligible (e.g. he compares an M4 and M5 and gets maybe a couple of yards more). Unless you a consistent hitter with a low handicap, any club from the last 5 years should suit you fine.
hahaha! i do agree with the rbz black and costco callaway set videos.
Last edited by biscuits on Apr 28th, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 15, 2016
738 posts
760 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Just got my aeroburner from the sportchek sale, $40.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1290 posts
469 upvotes
The only good sales at GT come via Daily Deals, like Adidas Climaproof rain jacket I picked up for $79 two weeks ago. And I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a pair of the Ecco Biom 3 Gortex shoes that were the Daily Deal 3 weeks ago for $159.

I would agree that new equipment won't provide that much more distance, but they will offer more forgiveness. My Ping G is light years ahead of my previous Wilson D100 driver for staying in the fairway, and better than the Nike Vapor that replaced the Wilson. Also, try Golftown Preowned and Golf Avenue--they are essentially the same site out of Quebec. However, sometimes Golf Avenue has more stock. I bought my Ping G from them for less than Kijiji, and there are usually 10% off codes around, and they give decent prices for trades.
Jan 15, 2016
738 posts
760 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Philbert wrote: The only good sales at GT come via Daily Deals, like Adidas Climaproof rain jacket I picked up for $79 two weeks ago. And I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a pair of the Ecco Biom 3 Gortex shoes that were the Daily Deal 3 weeks ago for $159.

I would agree that new equipment won't provide that much more distance, but they will offer more forgiveness. My Ping G is light years ahead of my previous Wilson D100 driver for staying in the fairway, and better than the Nike Vapor that replaced the Wilson. Also, try Golftown Preowned and Golf Avenue--they are essentially the same site out of Quebec. However, sometimes Golf Avenue has more stock. I bought my Ping G from them for less than Kijiji, and there are usually 10% off codes around, and they give decent prices for trades.
not sure if you have an ecco outlet store near you, here in winnipeg they had that on sale for $80 around feb, so don't feel bad for missing this hehe!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1290 posts
469 upvotes
biscuits wrote: not sure if you have an ecco outlet store near you, here in winnipeg they had that on sale for $80 around feb, so don't feel bad for missing this hehe!
The Biom 3 Gore-tex for $80? Really? The Ecco store in Edmonton says it is an outlet, but it essentially is a regular store that puts a few shoes on a table every now and then and calls it clearance.
Jan 15, 2016
738 posts
760 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Philbert wrote: The Biom 3 Gore-tex for $80? Really? The Ecco store in Edmonton says it is an outlet, but it essentially is a regular store that puts a few shoes on a table every now and then and calls it clearance.
Was just browsing for casual shoes and asked about golf shoes , sales lady picked up a pair for her husband and pointed me to it. Funny the one on the clearance table was more expensive than the one on the shelf she recommended.

Its he first time ive seen a deal at that store. Usually the clearance ones are just biggest sizes as well.
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
45 posts
46 upvotes
taya1214 wrote: Just to add, unless you are single digit handicap, buying 5 year or so old used club is good way to save tons of money. I've had Titlest 910 for ages (probably 10 years) and recently bought 917 for $130. I've gained about 10 yards (same shaft). I am 15 handicap.
Btw, golf town price for golf shoes is terrible. I managed to get $30 adicross knit one through clearance from Sportchek while Golftown is clearing at $95. Although Sportchek don't carry Titlest product, if you are looking for TM/Adidas, Sportchek probably would have better deals if you wait around.
LOL so sport check basically gives stuff away and has two decent pairs of golf shoes for sale and because of this golftown Pricing is “terrible”?

If I was Golftown I’d be happy not to have you as a customer
Nov 6, 2015
34 posts
18 upvotes
TidalFlo wrote: LOL so sport check basically gives stuff away and has two decent pairs of golf shoes for sale and because of this golftown Pricing is “terrible”?

If I was Golftown I’d be happy not to have you as a customer
Because their pricing is terrible lol. It’s as bad as BR/Gap regarding their always sale approach. The ‘sales’ they offer are normal pricing even on Boxing Day/Black Friday, those two days are the worst. Sure they will have a couple good deals at times but I find pricing shady. Also, where I’m from they have stopped doing demo sales. These go to their preowned clubs now and you can’t use gift cards.
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
45 posts
46 upvotes
Wpgjets85 wrote: Because their pricing is terrible lol. It’s as bad as BR/Gap regarding their always sale approach. The ‘sales’ they offer are normal pricing even on Boxing Day/Black Friday, those two days are the worst. Sure they will have a couple good deals at times but I find pricing shady. Also, where I’m from they have stopped doing demo sales. These go to their preowned clubs now and you can’t use gift cards.
You clearly know absolutely nothing about the retailing of golf hard goods if you’re comparing it to The Gap so I’m not going to waste time with you. Buy somewhere else then. I’m sure the 3 year old garbage sport check dumps every blue moon is worth waiting for. Enjoy!
Nov 17, 2014
596 posts
608 upvotes
QC
Man you couldn't be more wrong. I buy a lot of stuff and it's easy to realise GT prices are crap. They have to pay for all this real estate, simulators and staff. No wonder they give you 25$ off a new order (you can get an unlimited supply of those), because on average you can find exactly the same stuff at 30$ or 40$ less elsewhere (in Canada).
At least they price match their own stuff if it goes down within 30 says. Their recent demo event was great, because of the pandemic the stuff was basically mint and unhit.
Everything else, is priced higher
End of story. Shop at gofltown if you want no hassle and choice and be able to try on stuff, but not for their pricing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)