21 posts
56 upvotes

Matcha Tea (5 Flavors, 90 servings) - 114.95$

Deal Link:
Savings:
50$ off
Retailer:
GoMatcha
I don't know a lot about matcha tea but came across this on a Facebook group.

I don't know if it's Quebec only or all Canada.

There is a 30$ rebate on the page and if you use the code monsieurdeals you get another 20$ off.

Free shipping and no tax.

I translated the post and got this: "Our matcha comes from Japan and is organic. It is bagged on the outskirts of Montreal. Its quality grade is between premium and ceremony. For this quality of matcha, we are the cheapest in Canada."

https://www.jimmysevigny.com/boutique/a ... n-limitee/ and don't forget to use the code for another 20$ off.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1209 posts
999 upvotes
Airdrie
Checkout appears to work for me (Alberta), I can't really comment on price, I think you get 18 of each flavour so 90 servings plus a "gourd" (I'm not sure if something is lost in translation, isn't a gourd a vegetable family? ie pumpkins) I think it means a water bottle here.

These are likely flavoured sweetened drinks, not necessarily pure matcha, the one I looked at was 15 calories so there must be something added, I couldn't see the whole label. I like the taste of plain pure matcha, I like to add that to smoothies, oatmeals, and yogurt bowls. So a flavoured drink mix isn't my thing.

Thanks for the effort on a different product.
[OP]
Apr 9, 2021
21 posts
56 upvotes
mcwilly wrote: These are likely flavoured sweetened drinks, not necessarily pure matcha, the one I looked at was 15 calories so there must be something added, I couldn't see the whole label. I like the taste of plain pure matcha, I like to add that to smoothies, oatmeals, and yogurt bowls. So a flavoured drink mix isn't my thing.

Yes, I didn't post the whole thing but here is the label and nutritional facts: Image

I really don't know anything about matcha so I don't know if those ingredients are normal.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4925 posts
6307 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The last thing tea connoisseurs want is flavors like mojito in their matcha.. these prices are laughable for glorified tea bags..

Go to a Japanese supermarket for good quality matcha, this Quebec site is just using the CrappyTire discount trick, making you believe you are getting a good deal on shitty products.
Sep 13, 2019
150 posts
251 upvotes
mcwilly wrote: Checkout appears to work for me (Alberta), I can't really comment on price, I think you get 18 of each flavour so 90 servings plus a "gourd" (I'm not sure if something is lost in translation, isn't a gourd a vegetable family? ie pumpkins) I think it means a water bottle here.

These are likely flavoured sweetened drinks, not necessarily pure matcha, the one I looked at was 15 calories so there must be something added, I couldn't see the whole label. I like the taste of plain pure matcha, I like to add that to smoothies, oatmeals, and yogurt bowls. So a flavoured drink mix isn't my thing.

"Gourd" is the free bottle as a bonus item.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1401 posts
2190 upvotes
FunkMasterDeals wrote: Yes, I didn't post the whole thing but here is the label and nutritional facts: Image

I really don't know anything about matcha so I don't know if those ingredients are normal.
Stevia and flavouring in matcha?! What an effing scam.

"Glorified tea bags" as the above poster said.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1241 posts
724 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
So that's 5 boxes with 18 packs each with 4.2g in them.

$134CAD for 4.2gx18 = 76g x 5 = 380g?

Artificial sweetener inside that 380g.

40g/$5.85 is the price I've seen in Vancouver.

380g/40g * $5.85 = $55.6CAD

So in other words, you're paying an additional $134-55.6CAD = $78CAD for their packages, artificial sweetener, and extra flavors.

Lets use your discounted price of $114 instead. That's $58CAD extra for non-pure, artificial sweetened matcha.

Okie dokie.

Nevermind $114, I wouldn't buy it even if it's priced at $30CAD.
🎶🎵🎶🎼 𝄞 ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ ♩ ♪ 𝅘𝅥𝅮 𝅘𝅥𝅯♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄞 𝄢 𝄫 𝄙 𝄼 𝄽 𝄾 𝄿
Jun 10, 2020
579 posts
558 upvotes
I know I won't be so hard-jumping on the guy.... What do you guys think David's Tea sells the most of in their matcha(??), and RFD'ers were eating that thread up!! In fact, they were buying all sorts of fruity, artificially sweetened and flavoured teas....

I did a David's order myself, but I usually only do their organic stuff. It's unsweetened and unflavoured mostly.

Just below ceremonial grade sounds decent enough, but I agree with the other 'critics' that I prefer my matcha straight up. This is probably an ok gateway for some people though. To each their own.
Dec 23, 2015
191 posts
606 upvotes
spiritsBB wrote:

So in other words, you're paying an additional $134-55.6CAD = $78CAD for their packages, artificial sweetener, and extra flavors.

Mostly packaging costs. Matcha already sells for a hefty mark up.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2413 posts
1112 upvotes
Toronto
DasHip wrote: I know I won't be so hard-jumping on the guy.... What do you guys think David's Tea sells the most of in their matcha(??), and RFD'ers were eating that thread up!! In fact, they were buying all sorts of fruity, artificially sweetened and flavoured teas....

I did a David's order myself, but I usually only do their organic stuff. It's unsweetened and unflavoured mostly.

Just below ceremonial grade sounds decent enough, but I agree with the other 'critics' that I prefer my matcha straight up. This is probably an ok gateway for some people though. To each their own.
Even David's tea full price is cheaper than this by quite a lot
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2185 posts
2047 upvotes
Toronto
Weird site. I don't read much French (but can figure most of things out as fluent in other romance language), but looks like it's some sort of coach/motivational speaker dude? I mean, clearly this wouldn't be the best place to buy tea if you're looking for tea alone.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4925 posts
6307 upvotes
Toronto, ON
neonic wrote: Weird site. I don't read much French (but can figure most of things out as fluent in other romance language), but looks like it's some sort of coach/motivational speaker dude? I mean, clearly this wouldn't be the best place to buy tea if you're looking for tea alone.
It's probably part of his motivational speech - "did you know I made a fortune selling rebranded teabags on my website? You can too!"