Entertainment

Gone With the Wind Removed From HBO Max Library Following Criticism. Will return with historical context

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2020 7:22 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1430 posts
2079 upvotes
Toronto

Gone With the Wind Removed From HBO Max Library Following Criticism. Will return with historical context

June 9 2020

HBO Max has removed the classic film Gone With the Wind from its movie library following a number of calls to do so, in light of the ongoing global protests for racial equality.

ScreenRant first reported the news, and a search of the HBO Max archives confirms that the movie is no longer available to stream. The film, released in 1939, won ten Oscars and became one of the top-earning movies of all time, and was prominently featured in HBO Max’s initial advertising push. But its romantic depiction of Civil War-era America and whitewashing of slavery is seen as problematic by many modern-day viewers, especially in light of the current social unrest regarding racism and police violence.

Oscar-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) called for Gone With the Wind to be removed from HBO Max for the time being in a Los Angeles Times op-ed published this week, calling it “a film that, when it is not ignoring the horrors of slavery, pauses only to perpetuate some of the most painful stereotypes of people of color.” Others joined Ridley online in asking that the movie be shelved.

HBO Max is not the only network changing its programming in light of the public outcry surrounding the protests: Paramount Network officially cancelled the police docuseries Cops after a more than three-decade run, and A&E Network has pulled new episodes of Live PD. HBO Max has also removed all guns from its new Looney Tunes Cartoons series, apparently in response to U.S. gun violence.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/09/gone-with ... m-slavery/
edit (June 15, 2020): Gone With the Wind Removed From HBO Max Library Following Criticism.
Will be back in its library, but with historical context introduction added
Last edited by oicthat2013 on Jun 15th, 2020 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
28 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18364 posts
4750 upvotes
Toronto
I would have much preferred it was left there, but with a warning message at the beginning.

I see from the article that it's gone just for the "time being". Perhaps they'll bring it back later with that intro message.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6933 posts
956 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe they can get rid of To Kill a Mockingbird from our libraries next....how can we allow something that uses the n word so liberally to exist?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4048 posts
2167 upvotes
Toronto
Gone with the Wind is Gone with the Wind?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17569 posts
2213 upvotes
Out west
ConsoleWatcher wrote: Maybe they can get rid of To Kill a Mockingbird from our libraries next....how can we allow something that uses the n word so liberally to exist?
Is burning books going to be the next step? Going to get rid of all of Dave Chapelles stand up to (as an example of using the N word)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20214 posts
2896 upvotes
Niagara Falls
EugW wrote: I would have much preferred it was left there, but with a warning message at the beginning.

I see from the article that it's gone just for the "time being". Perhaps they'll bring it back later with that intro message.
Yea, just do what Disney+ has done. Trying to erase racism from the past isn't going to fix today's issues.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3826 upvotes
Never seen gone with the wind. And just because of this I will be downloading it now to watch it
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3404 posts
1379 upvotes
Amazing classic movie that I finally crossed off my list probably only 3 or 4 years ago. Even saw it on the big screen with an intermission when Cineplex had screenings for older movies. I'll be truly honest, I never expected it to be that good. It's truly a remarkable brilliant film masterpiece.
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
11113 posts
115 upvotes
Oakville, ON
If you want to see a movie that deserved to be erased, watch Songs of the South, a Disney movie if you can find it.

GWTW is a classic and not offensive. There are tons of movies including Birth of a Nation (1915) that are far far worse. Looks like the thought police want to rewrite history again.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
11113 posts
115 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Oh yeah if you can watch the seven banned merrie melodies cartoons. Completely racist, offensive and show blacks as watermelon stealing dummies.
In one the devil is trying to force people to sin by offering free fried chicken, chitlin greens and watermelon. Brutal.
Red Green
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21211 posts
2510 upvotes
Toronto
king_george wrote: Oh yeah if you can watch the seven banned merrie melodies cartoons. Completely racist, offensive and show blacks as watermelon stealing dummies.
In one the devil is trying to force people to sin by offering free fried chicken, chitlin greens and watermelon. Brutal.
I vaguely recall this in my childhood memories...

Also, Looney tunes is pretty violent with the shotgun (Bugs vs Elmer Fudd)

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17569 posts
2213 upvotes
Out west
king_george wrote: Oh yeah if you can watch the seven banned merrie melodies cartoons. Completely racist, offensive and show blacks as watermelon stealing dummies.
Like the story of Little Black Sambo
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
11113 posts
115 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ji2o0k wrote:
I vaguely recall this in my childhood memories...

Also, Looney tunes is pretty violent with the shotgun (Bugs vs Elmer Fudd)
Duck Season! Wabbit Season!
I have the entire library at home with all the violence included. Yosemite Sam was pretty good at absorbing gun shots and cannonballs.
WikkiWikki wrote: Like the story of Little Black Sambo
Now that is offensive. I haven't seen that in years. I actually read that in class in public school circa 1962 or 63.
Red Green
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18364 posts
4750 upvotes
Toronto
I hope this doesn’t happen to The Party.

Birdy bum num!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9782 posts
1859 upvotes
Victoria
I've never seen the movie, and no very little. My wife did comment it place in the civil war.

Weren't people super racist during the civil war? Half of America was fighting to keep slavery? Well technically it was about their influence in the government diminishing, but it was only so they could keep slavery going, as new states didn't want slavery. So is it historically in accurate?

It doesn't seem great to me to remove old movies. People have the right to see how different civilization was, and how humans can be *******?

That being said, I really don't know the context of what I'm commenting on :)