Food & Drink

Good 1-pot meals that make good leftovers?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2021 2:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9717 posts
4005 upvotes

Good 1-pot meals that make good leftovers?

Looking for more good ideas for 1-pot meals that can be portioned out & frozen & microwave-reheat well.

Some of the stuff I have done recently:

I buy 3/4 lb weenie shrimp for $5.99 & the Seaquest fillets that are on sale this week at Loblaws/Zehrs for $4.99. Both of these recipes microwave well because they are roux-based, not cornstarch-based.

• West African Peanut Stew (Maafe)

I replaced the typical sweet potato in this with red pepper so it was not too starchy & it worked well. I cannot find the original recipe I used online, but it had poached shredded chicken legs, chickpeas, both peanuts & peanut butter, tomatoes & sweet potato. I would not put the peanuts in the stew next time; I would serve it with chopped peanuts along with cilantro on top.

• Dal Makhani (Butter Lentils)

This is just whole red lentils (brown lentils) in a butter chicken-style sauce.

I make this with ground lamb & ground spices & it does not look like the picture – it is a dal (lentil stew). I really love this 1.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1195 posts
1097 upvotes
Clarington, ON
We've really enjoyed https://www.kevinandamanda.com/cheesebu ... hi-recipe/

However we don't use store bought gnocchi. I make my own using https://damndelicious.net/2020/04/17/homemade-gnocchi/ . These are froze. On sheets. Once ready you can pull them out and bold and use from frozen.

The whole assembled mess reheats well too if frozen or leftover (for work the next day I put in an oven save container and heat in the convection toaster oven.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9717 posts
4005 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: We've really enjoyed https://www.kevinandamanda.com/cheesebu ... hi-recipe/

However we don't use store bought gnocchi. I make my own using https://damndelicious.net/2020/04/17/homemade-gnocchi/ . These are froze. On sheets. Once ready you can pull them out and bold and use from frozen.
I received the Olivieri gnocchi coupon from SampleSource but gave it away because I did not know what to do with it. I do not regret it now that I have read your recipe suggestion. I am definitely going to give the homemade gnocchi a shot, thanks!
The whole assembled mess reheats well too if frozen or leftover (for work the next day I put in an oven save container and heat in the convection toaster oven.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1195 posts
1097 upvotes
Clarington, ON
lecale wrote: I received the Olivieri gnocchi coupon from SampleSource but gave it away because I did not know what to do with it. I do not regret it now that I have read your recipe suggestion. I am definitely going to give the homemade gnocchi a shot, thanks!
I do 2 orn3 cookie sheets up at a time and freeze for a later date. You were smart in passing the coupon along - once you make these, you won't be interested in store bought.

The rest of the dish is fairly one pot... Not a huge undertaking anyways.

Edit: dug back. Added pics
Images
  • B25E5D49-5194-40AF-A0FB-0D30117B8A7A.jpeg
  • B7F57F91-CB13-4AAA-B8D8-C3F751C204E8.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1195 posts
1097 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Will also add this Thai Red Curry. we usually add chicken and use spinach instead of kale.

We've served on basmati and jasmine rice. (Jasmine pairs better imo). Also have done it on rice noodles.

The sauce and veg freezes well. Freezing rice with this doesn't work as well. It also reheats well for lunch the next day with the extra rice that you make for that purpose.
Last edited by KevinM56081 on Jun 4th, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9717 posts
4005 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: I do 2 orn3 cookie sheets up at a time and freeze for a later date. You were smart in passing the coupon along - once you make these, you won't be interested in store bought.

The rest of the dish is fairly one pot... Not a huge undertaking anyways.
AWESOMMME! Yeah, I am into this project. I think it is the ricotta cheese that sucked me in. Tre Stelle makes a 2-pk which would be handy portion size for this recipe. Food Basics used to carry a 250g tub by Schomberg Farms that they would put on sale for $1.00 but I have not seen it in ages. I have to keep my eyes peeled & see what is out there.
KevinM56081 wrote: Will also add this Thai Red Curry. we usually add chicken and use spinach instead of kale.

We've served on basmati and jasmine rice. (Jasmine pairs better imo). Also have done it on rice noodles.

The sauce and veg freezes well. It also reheats well for lunch the next day with the extra rice that you make for that purpose.
Sounds good too. I do not mind kale, but fine green beans would be good in this too. I like the fact that there are a lot of vegetables. I will try this for sure.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9717 posts
4005 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Stuffed Pepper Cassarole.

Can be made night before and dumped in oven when you get home. Reheats well next day. Freezes well.
My buddy here is not fussy about stuffed peppers & if I cook for myself I usually do ethnic. This is a maybe. The pictures look pretty sexy. Freshco had a deal on red peppers last week ($2.48/lb) so I have a pile in the fridge. Right time of year to do this because the prices are right.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1195 posts
1097 upvotes
Clarington, ON
This is a happy summertime one. Keeps the house cool with no oven usage. We've swapped veg. Done feta instead of blue. Added chicken. Pretty versatile. Lunches well the next day.

Buffalo Chickpea Salad
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9717 posts
4005 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: This is a happy summertime one. Keeps the house cool with no oven usage. We've swapped veg. Done feta instead of blue. Added chicken. Pretty versatile. Lunches well the next day.

Buffalo Chickpea Salad
This is something I would never have considered on my own, but I have all the ingredients in the house so I am going to make it today as written. I am starting with 150g dry chickpeas though & put them in the rice cooker. Definitely different. Thank you for the pick.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1195 posts
1097 upvotes
Clarington, ON
lecale wrote: This is something I would never have considered on my own, but I have all the ingredients in the house so I am going to make it today as written. I am starting with 150g dry chickpeas though & put them in the rice cooker. Definitely different. Thank you for the pick.
Not sure on your heat tolerance - we do back the Frank's off a bit. Do 2 units, instead of 3.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9717 posts
4005 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Not sure on your heat tolerance - we do back the Frank's off a bit. Do 2 units, instead of 3.
Oh I can take the heat. "Make me scream, Frankie baby!!" (I do not know if he has it in him.)