• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2019 2:42 pm
[OP]
Nov 29, 2009
198 posts
131 upvotes
London

Good Alternative To Kraft Dinner

So after being a KD (original) fan for a long time I am done with it after they changed their recipe. Any ideas on a good replacement that comes out firm after boiling and the cheese mixes well?

TIA...
WISDOM IS JUST A HIGHER LEVEL OF COMMON SENSE ...
51 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16499 posts
3727 upvotes
Toronto
When did they change the recipe?
I have not been buying KD in a while.
I much prefer
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9461 posts
3725 upvotes
Toronto
i haven't had this in ages but i do recall the PC version being pretty good back in the day. i would always add extra cheese and milk to whatever mac i made for extra cheesy goodness.
PC Deluxe Cheddar Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Mar 11, 2019
306 posts
177 upvotes
boil macaroni, grate whatever cheese you like. mix
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1851 posts
401 upvotes
I'm a big fan of Annie's , especially the Yummier version.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
I wonder if the 3rd party cheese powders are any good.
Or if you can find one that uses the "old" recipe.
jintau wrote: boil macaroni, grate whatever cheese you like. mix
Oh for the love of everything why?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16499 posts
3727 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I wonder if the 3rd party cheese powders are any good.
Or if you can find one that uses the "old" recipe.
Third party? At that rate, why not just go to bulk barn and scoop out some cheese powder and take your chances?

I have to agree with others here that PC makes really good Mac & cheese, but I still stand by Italpasta for being my favourite go to. (200g size Mac & Cheese)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Third party? At that rate, why not just go to bulk barn and scoop out some cheese powder and take your chances?
That's exactly what I mean by 3rd party.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4436 posts
683 upvotes
PC White Cheddar and Deluxe Cheddar are the best IMO.
Mar 11, 2019
306 posts
177 upvotes
boil macaroni, scoop out cheese wizz, mix?
boil macaroni, toss in some cheese slices, mix?
Mar 11, 2019
306 posts
177 upvotes
The best is: boil macaroni, grate cheese, layer in a dish and bake. then eat. sometimes put some croutons in there, or whatever. and put the ketchup on it, mix.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2009
198 posts
131 upvotes
London
playnicee1 wrote: When did they change the recipe?
I have not been buying KD in a while.
I much prefer
Must be at least a year since they made changes. Taking out and replacing some ingredients that were so-called "not good for you". Much like KFC did with their chicken. which tastes nowhere near the way it did 10 years ago. With KD I tried to boil for only 4 minutes and it still came out soggy and not firm. As for the cheese it no longer mixes well and it turns to small lumpy balled up pieces. My relative always had Italpasta as her go to macaroni & cheese but when I told her I was looking for a replacement she explained that she doesn't eat that anymore because they too had changed the way it is made and wasn't worth buying. Wish they would leave these products alone and let the buyer decide whether to ingest it or not and not fall to pressure from others to change to healthier tasting rubbish. Guess I will try every different kind I see till I can find one I like. TY to all who made suggestions...
WISDOM IS JUST A HIGHER LEVEL OF COMMON SENSE ...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7164 posts
4351 upvotes
Victoria, BC
jintau wrote: boil macaroni, scoop out cheese wizz, mix?
boil macaroni, toss in some cheese slices, mix?
Gross.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16499 posts
3727 upvotes
Toronto
fortune500 wrote: Must be at least a year since they made changes. Taking out and replacing some ingredients that were so-called "not good for you". Much like KFC did with their chicken. which tastes nowhere near the way it did 10 years ago. With KD I tried to boil for only 4 minutes and it still came out soggy and not firm. As for the cheese it no longer mixes well and it turns to small lumpy balled up pieces. My relative always had Italpasta as her go to macaroni & cheese but when I told her I was looking for a replacement she explained that she doesn't eat that anymore because they too had changed the way it is made and wasn't worth buying. Wish they would leave these products alone and let the buyer decide whether to ingest it or not and not fall to pressure from others to change to healthier tasting rubbish. Guess I will try every different kind I see till I can find one I like. TY to all who made suggestions...
Okay, first of all, I microwave my Mac & cheese.
But I DID buy KD not long ago, and you are absolutely correct!
I was wondering why there are clumping orange bits no matter how hard I try to stir, stir and mix the cheese and pasta!
(it never used to be like this)
I'm noticing this with Italpasta also, but not as much (yet).
I think I might start buying PC brand a little more now...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
lecale wrote: Pasta elbows, Velveeta block or slices, milk. If you use real cheese you're making something else.
Pretty much this.
Sure you can make it "right" but it's not the same dish.

Same reason I go through the work of making lye dipped pretzels but buy canned nacho cheese sauce.
Mar 11, 2019
306 posts
177 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Pretty much this.
Sure you can make it "right" but it's not the same dish.

Same reason I go through the work of making lye dipped pretzels but buy canned nacho cheese sauce.
Pretzel dipped in Lye? I had no idea. This sounds concerning to me, you have changed the way I will look at pretzels forever.