• Nov 29th, 2020 9:58 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 26, 2019
4 posts
Toronto, ON

Good art frame store?

Hello,

I have some posters 50 x 70 cm (19¾ x 27½ inch) and I am looking for beautiful/simple clean frames to hang them, that have good quality built with some kind of glass panel (not acrylic/plastic)
I know Michaels has some but they don't look very good and the panel seems to scratch easily.

I figured some people here may have some art that they hang already or pictures, so decided to give it a shot!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4098 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
Ikea has lots of frames. Michaels or DeSerres are other options.
Nov 27, 2020
46 posts
179 upvotes
Custom framing is expensive. Unless these posters are valuable or you have the money, take the last guy's advice and go big box. You are looking at $200-300 minimum for that size at a framing shop and that's a basic frame - the same type you'll get at Ikea for a few bucks.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4316 posts
2623 upvotes
Gotham
I usually go to a shop that does framing and use anti-glare glass. I have the same metal frames (sometimes different colour) throughout my house and a standard size mat (usually off-white) for smaller frames. No mat for larger frames. It may cost more but it looks more consistent and better in my opinion and does not look like it came from Ikea.

I use to go to a shop near Mount Pleasant and Davisville when I lived in Toronto. I never shopped around because it was a local business that I liked because they did good work.

I also use standoffs for some large items but I use 1/8" clear acrylic for this as holes must be drilled into it to be hung and glass is liable to breakage. Glass may work for smaller items though.