• Mar 20th, 2019 11:14 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14524 posts
3013 upvotes
Toronto

Good article about the stock tires that come on a new car

You may have noticed that the stock tires that come on many cars can be pretty low end. Here is a good article that talks about that, as well as has some tips on how to get the most out of your tires:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/why- ... s-already/
Last edited by hightech on Mar 7th, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
46 replies
Apr 18, 2009
968 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
Thanks.

I have had a good experience with the Dunlop tires that came on my 2015 cr-v. I had 6/32 tread remaining when I had 92000 km on the car , as per the service report 3-4 months ago.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27792 posts
12857 upvotes
Toronto
they would likely have the same quality level as the Chinese Made tires Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2271 posts
1749 upvotes
Ottawa
Most new car tires sucks including high end cars. And if you try to get a direct replacement, it will cost a lot more than another comparable tire. Better to just wear out what the car came with and then replace them with a set of better and cheaper tire.
Dec 8, 2009
30 posts
22 upvotes
Edmonton
I found out the hard way that there are no warranties on dealership tires either. Ours were crappy Kumhos that developed bulging sidewalls on more than one tire. Seemed like it was a defect in that batch, but even shops that did Kumho warranty work couldn't touch them because they were from the dealer. Dealer of course was no help at all.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2282 posts
761 upvotes
Mississauga
I got a decent price for my continentals when I took them off .. put winters on original rims .. and then got +1 for my summer rims !!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13809 posts
3757 upvotes
Montréal
The OE tires are usually not ideal but I don't get ppl rushing out to replace them immediately and taking the $ hit doing so. I've always used them up and then bought better ones afterwards where practical.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
May 7, 2016
437 posts
355 upvotes
What a terrible article! A tire that last 25k kms in an almost 3,000 kgs SUV doesn't mean that is a bad tire. It is actually the opposite, they grip better and therefore wear faster. If you want hard tires that last forever but don't grip well look somewhere else.

The Hankook Noble S1 is not the best ultra-high performance all-season tires, but they are a very decent option:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/te ... p?ttid=200
Ultra-high performance is the key here, and that is why they wear faster.
Jun 4, 2016
211 posts
227 upvotes
I guess it depends what car you buy... Mine came with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S...
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2193 posts
676 upvotes
hightech wrote: You may have noticed that the stock tires that come on many cars can be pretty low end. Here is a good article that talks about that, as well as has some tips on how to get the most out of your tires:
What criteria???
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34577 posts
20614 upvotes
Center of Universe
LMAO...
Owner of a 2016 Explorer Sport with the same tires and they've held up very well for ~30K KM.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14524 posts
3013 upvotes
Toronto
carztoronto wrote: What a terrible article! A tire that last 25k kms in an almost 3,000 kgs SUV doesn't mean that is a bad tire. It is actually the opposite, they grip better and therefore wear faster. If you want hard tires that last forever but don't grip well look somewhere else.

The Hankook Noble S1 is not the best ultra-high performance all-season tires, but they are a very decent option:
Ultra-high performance is the key here, and that is why they wear faster.
Generally, the auto manufacturers want to put the CHEAPEST tire that matches their spec guideline. This translates to low treadwear tires that wear out fast. We are not talking about UHP tires on a Porsche, where I agree with you wear out fast due to their exceptional grip.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34577 posts
20614 upvotes
Center of Universe
hightech wrote: Generally, the auto manufacturers want to put the CHEAPEST tire that matches their spec guideline. This translates to low treadwear tires that wear out fast. We are not talking about UHP tires on a Porsche, where I agree with you wear out fast due to their exceptional grip.
You read one lousy article and came up with that conclusion?
There are cars that comes with Michelin SS tires and they are not cheap by any means.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14524 posts
3013 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: You read one lousy article and came up with that conclusion?
There are cars that comes with Michelin SS tires and they are not cheap by any means.
No, but in my 30 years of car buying. Some cars come with decent tires, but not all. My last few cars came with decent Michelin tires. My Civic and Ford's not soo much

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)