Shopping Discussion

good/bad parking/in-store stories anyone?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2004 10:29 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 18, 2002
193 posts
TrevorK wrote:Obviously wrong?

No. There was nothing "wrong".

Uncourteous?

Yes

There's a difference. Perhaps we should see if we can find a boxing day deal on a dictionary for you?

Having no moral standard can also be considered wrong. There are many offences that are legal but wrong. Also another poster mentioned his friend received a ticket for doing a similar thing. Do you think is still "right"? You should look at this link. http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?b ... ng&x=0&y=0
Note the first definition, wrong can be defined as not according to the moral standard.

By the way you have just made a personal attack. Turning a discussion into an ad hominem argument is a sign of immaturity.

sigh..
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4173 posts
80 upvotes
Cambridge
dre145 wrote:I dont know who that was towards but like Aristophanes (original poster) said he hasnt been on this thread for 3 days.
Haha. Thanks. I must have lost track of who was who in the 62 posts. OK it was directed to some of the folks who took up the cause with such passion. Aristophanes handled it in a pretty mature way all in all.

So now I'll add my story. Was at the LCBO on the 24th. No room in the parking lot so I parked down the street and went in. It was lined to the back wall for checking out. The way the aisles are arranged there were 2 long lines that split just before the checkouts into 4 lines. After standing in line my 15 minutes or so I was almost at the split point. There's like a little gap between the single line and the split lines so people can get through shopping and also it's your last chance to pick the fastest checkout (some are cash/debit only and move faster). This person comes along with a cart with about 12 bottles of champagne in it, stands in the gap and says to the line 'oh, does the line for the cash only register start here? Well she's a cute blonde with a total cutie outfit (even the white stretchknit cap with bobbles hanging off it) and there's like this little moan as she parks herself in the split line, jumping about 15-20 minutes of wait time. As we continue to shuffle forward she suddenly realizes she has to use charge, and says to the front of other line "Do you mind if I cut in? I don't have cash." OK. So I laugh out loud. She turns to look at me and says 'oh so sorry, if you need to go next you can have my spot'. I say "No, Merry Christmas it's not a day for getting uptight about a little line confusion." And she says back "No really, you must be feeling stressed, why don't you move up here and take my spot." Well what am I going to do now? Bud in about 3 up and take her spot which she budded in on? Oddly she has turned this situation around on me. I didn't move. She made a scene, motioning me up by wiggling her cart back and forth sideways toward her spot in line while tilting her pelvis back and forth at me. It was funny. My daughter was with me and we just cracked up. In the end she got to the front of the line in less than 5 minutes!

OK now for the outdoor scene. When I came out of the store there was a transport truck in the parking lot. Yeah the parking lot with people parked in the laneways and stuck in line trying to just move around. Soon horns are honking - the truck is making a delivery to the LCBO and the loading door is at the end of a parking lot laneway. The truck finally parks to unload and it totally blocks the lane so nobody can leave their spot! The noise and abuse started to flow and I watched for a minute but then decided it was going to melt my holiday spirit so I shouted "Happy Holidays" and walked off to my car down the street.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1264 posts
116 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:What's wrong with that? It's not like he intentionally stole your spot.

I like to drive straight out rather than reverse too. It's actually a lot safer in a busy parking lot to do it this way.

You need to find something better to take all that tension away because it's you who made the fool of yourself.
If backing out is too complicated and 'unsafe' why don't you just back into a spot, that way you're always facing out. .

It amazes me how many people are afraid to use the 'reverse' feature in they cars.

It's like one time I was at the gas station and every single pump is occupied and has a lineup of maybe two cars except one lone pump. So I waited a few minutes and still no one went to this pump, so I backed into it. Well don't I get screamed at 'You're not allowed to back into a pump' I hear in an accent I will not disclose. It's not my freakin' fault they were all afraid to back into the damn spot.

Excuse me! I never knew backing up was illegal. I swear to go I wonder how so many people in this city got their licenses.
Dec 4, 2004
389 posts
70 upvotes
Coquitlam
prof_frink wrote:IIt's like one time I was at the gas station and every single pump is occupied and has a lineup of maybe two cars except one lone pump. So I waited a few minutes and still no one went to this pump, so I backed into it. Well don't I get screamed at 'You're not allowed to back into a pump' I hear in an accent I will not disclose. It's not my freakin' fault they were all afraid to back into the damn spot.
i do the same thing, back in to get to the pump, why should i wait when i dont have to. then one time, this guy behind me starts freaking out 'what are you doing? how am i supposed to get out of here now? blah blah blah' wtf? thats not my problem. i just shrugged and pumped out my FULL tank of gas, and those esso pumps are quite slow too :D
Mar 30, 2004
466 posts
6 upvotes
stevethewheel wrote:...Well she's a cute blonde with a total cutie outfit (even the white stretchknit cap with bobbles hanging off it)...
damn it...they get everything, don't they.
:confused:

happy new year.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16627 posts
6887 upvotes
dre145 wrote:If you are so certain there is no law why dont you show us the document ? since you already know there is no law should be pretty easy to find....
Explain how you find "no law".

There is no document stating "this is legal and this isn't" - there are just documents stating that things are illegal.

same thing here... have you went through all the claims with insurance companies and find 2 claims that were in the exact same situation and ruled different ways... If you have id like you to show me them.
My father is an adjustor, so I have a bit more insight into the insurance industry than most since he's actually the one who decides who's at fault.
now in a situation like that im sure you'd just stay quite and not even say anything if some guy took your spot. If you keep letting people get on your head they will.
Years ago, I would've bitched, screamed and pissed off the guy.

But now? Nope, wouldn't do that. I have no reason to raise my blood pressure over that, I got other things to worry about in life.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons I don't go shopping on Boxing Day, or shopping on the last Saturday before Christmas, etc, etc.... I like to avoid situations that cause added stress by simple planning. That when, if I ever encounter stress, it doesn't seem that bad.

Right now my biggest worry is how I am going to do my taxes for the 2005 year. And that's the way I think you should live life - not worrying about the small things...
Apr 6, 2003
858 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
gromitlad wrote:Who said anything about "white trash"? I certainly didn't.
My jab at being sarcastic was based on that fact that "white trash" is a generally accepted phrase in society when it is clearly "Racist". So in all aspects, "china woman" is not a showstopper of a "racist" comment that would warrant bringing out the race card.
Oct 17, 2004
346 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond
BuddyGuy wrote:My jab at being sarcastic was based on that fact that "white trash" is a generally accepted phrase in society when it is clearly "Racist". So in all aspects, "china woman" is not a showstopper of a "racist" comment that would warrant bringing out the race card.
as a person of chinese descent...i do not feel comfortable if someone calls me a "China Woman"...and infact, I find this comment quite racist.

we have terms to better these 'identifications', such as "Asian", "Caucasian" etc...and if you want to specific a person's race, please use these less offensive terms

BTW, does it matter what race she was? I mean, anyone from any place can be just as rude as her actions were...why did the original post have to state her racial descent? or are there implications of racial stereotypes? > :(

and oh yeah, one CAN be racist against his/her own race...and for those who think it's just a joke...its not. If you think it's funny, keep it to yourself or share it with other people who think like you...do not post it in a public forum where any persons of different racial descent can visit and feel offended
Dec 1, 2003
757 posts
38 upvotes
BuddyGuy wrote:My jab at being sarcastic was based on that fact that "white trash" is a generally accepted phrase in society when it is clearly "Racist". So in all aspects, "china woman" is not a showstopper of a "racist" comment that would warrant bringing out the race card.
I don't use the term "white trash" for the same reason that the term "China Woman" makes me uncomfortable. But if I and some others here say we find the use of the term uncomfortable and possibly offensive, I don't think it's very nice of you to invalidate our responses by pooh-poohing it as not being a "showstopper of a racist comment".

As far as playing the race card... if terms like "crazy China Woman" get tossed around casually and if no one ever says anything, then how will anyone know that it's a hurtful and offensive term? Not just the original poster, but anyone reading those comments. I think that those type of comments SHOULD be called out.

Just my humble opinion.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4173 posts
80 upvotes
Cambridge
gromitlad wrote:
As far as playing the race card... if terms like "crazy China Woman" get tossed around casually and if no one ever says anything, then how will anyone know that it's a hurtful and offensive term? Not just the original poster, but anyone reading those comments. I think that those type of comments SHOULD be called out.

Just my humble opinion.
I agree they should be called out.

At the same time, when you are telling a story 'crazy person' just is not good storytelling. 'crazy teenager' 'crazy old man' 'crazy woman' 'crazy guy with a bandana' have a lot more interest to them and help the listener make a picture of what you were seeing. Then you can get engaged.
Banned
Dec 26, 2004
2987 posts
6 upvotes
[QUOTE]There is no law against crossing the solid yellow line in a parking lot/private property - if you believe there is, pull up the exact offense and show that it is applicable on private property.[/QUOTE]
It only applies to public roads. I guess that's why that call it the Highway Traffic Act :)