Food & Drink

Good Caribbean/Mediterranean Places in Richmond, BC ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2021 11:23 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 7, 2017
30 posts
2 upvotes

nevermind based on responses so far no one around here likely knows.
Last edited by laster on May 29th, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
[OP]
May 7, 2017
30 posts
2 upvotes
Yes I like them both. I hope that answers your question.
Jul 8, 2019
154 posts
192 upvotes
These two food styles have nothing to do with each other....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9114 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
UrbanPoet wrote: Question. Why group these two very differing and opposite types of food ? Or are these just your 2 favorite types for take out?
Because there’s like not much out in Vancouver area for either. This isn’t Toronto poet

I started cooking jerk because the downtown option is pricey and not amazing

Have a look at this menu buddy and tell me what you think about the pricing. No it’s not that good and not big quantity either

https://www.calabashbistro.com/dinner

There’s prob some decent Mediterranean places but op is also asking for it in richmond which is similar to Markham Ontario for cuisine
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46724 posts
9828 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
GangStarr wrote: Because there’s like not much out in Vancouver area for either. This isn’t Toronto poet

I started cooking jerk because the downtown option is pricey and not amazing

Have a look at this menu buddy and tell me what you think about the pricing. No it’s not that good and not big quantity either

https://www.calabashbistro.com/dinner
Just wondering about the grouping.
And wow this place sucks!

What the hell is this?

“ Jamaican Patties and Sauce
Choice of 2 spicy beef, chicken or veggie. Choice of mango tamarind or jerk aioli

$9.50”

What the flying fck. Doesnt even sound like they hAve real w.i. Food.
Its true though.. my local go to isnt even fancy... its a food court place called tropical joes & the food is top notch.
My old co-worker from Trinidad.. literally only here for like 3 years tried it on my recommendation.
Her reaction... “just like t n t!”

They got beef patties $2.25 each. Add a buck for coco bread. They do this awesome thing for $6.
Beef patty in a coco bread with jerk chicken/pork and ox tail gravy.

Or go to drupati for doubles and bus up shot!

But i guess this calabash bistro place gotta make it like that or else no one will eat there... from what i remember there werent many black or brown (non east indian) people in BC.

Youre right though. I’m taking the GTA variety for granted... i went to this one place on a co-workers recommendation one time. Forgot the name but it was on Markham Rd. The indian food was sooooo good & cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9114 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
UrbanPoet wrote: Just wondering about the grouping.
And wow this place sucks!

What the hell is this?

“ Jamaican Patties and Sauce
Choice of 2 spicy beef, chicken or veggie. Choice of mango tamarind or jerk aioli

$9.50”

What the flying fck. Doesnt even sound like they hAve real w.i. Food.
Its true though.. my local go to isnt even fancy... its a food court place called tropical joes & the food is top notch.
My old co-worker from Trinidad.. literally only here for like 3 years tried it on my recommendation.
Her reaction... “just like t n t!”

They got beef patties $2.25 each. Add a buck for coco bread. They do this awesome thing for $6.
Beef patty in a coco bread with jerk chicken/pork and ox tail gravy.

Or go to drupati for doubles and bus up shot!

But i guess this calabash bistro place gotta make it like that or else no one will eat there... from what i remember there werent many black or brown (non east indian) people in BC.

Youre right though. I’m taking the GTA variety for granted... i went to this one place on a co-workers recommendation one time. Forgot the name but it was on Markham Rd. The indian food was sooooo good & cheap.
There is a hole In the wall type Jamaican place and it’s not very good and I’ll let you comment on price

https://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/m ... id=1129950

So yeah I miss Scarborough. Chris jerk and pretty much anything eglinton west

The two places mentioned above are all you got for Jamaican in the GVA

OP there is also patty shop which has Trinidadian beef and chicken patties. They are very good but different style then the Jamaican yellow patties. They have roti at lunch. Not richmond but not that far

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-patty-shop-vancouver

Highly recommend their frozen dozen patties. There was 16 in my dozen bag last time. They’re freshly made and frozen.

Edit attached is photo of the patty shop patty. Beautiful flaky crust

also calabash functioned as a bar / club in the evenings before pandemic. So that’s likely where they make their money. Also their cocktails are pricey but good
Images
  • A66AFBA8-6439-49C8-8483-9BDD76E89808.jpeg
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46724 posts
9828 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
GangStarr wrote: There is a hole In the wall type Jamaican place and it’s not very good and I’ll let you comment on price

https://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/m ... id=1129950

So yeah I miss Scarborough. Chris jerk and pretty much anything eglinton west

The two places mentioned above are all you got for Jamaican in the GVA

OP there is also patty shop which has Trinidadian beef and chicken patties. They are very good but different style then the Jamaican yellow patties. They have roti at lunch. Not richmond but not that far

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-patty-shop-vancouver

Highly recommend their frozen dozen patties. There was 16 in my dozen bag last time. They’re freshly made and frozen.

Edit attached is photo of the patty shop patty. Beautiful flaky crust

also calabash functioned as a bar / club in the evenings before pandemic. So that’s likely where they make their money. Also their cocktails are pricey but good
Ok that patty looks good.
But you don’t eat patties with sauce. Is that really a thing !?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9114 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
UrbanPoet wrote: Ok that patty looks good.
But you don’t eat patties with sauce. Is that really a thing !?
That was prepared from frozen. I don’t have any sauces at home so yes.

I used to really enjoy allwyns patty sand which and patty’s but never really with sauce
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9114 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
laster wrote: nevermind based on responses so far no one around here likely knows.
Pretty piss poor attitude. You’re in richmond you think google isn’t going to help you? There’s nothing out there mate

Check out the patty shop. It’s worth the drive
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6800 posts
3088 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
My bet. None. Have to go into Vancouver for the former (f it even exists at all), and most likely have to go into Vancouver/Burnaby for the latter.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China