• Sep 21st, 2021 7:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9127 posts
798 upvotes

A good corner lot

I heard some people said they would avoid buying corner lot detached house. I think it is just a general statement because a good corner lot is very hard to find. Just to look for corner lots without sidewalk and not on a busy intersection would already eliminate 90%+ of the corner lots. And I notice many corner lots have bad front yard grading e.g. deep slope outward/even toward the house/slope sideway toward the backyard, that makes the front yard not useable and hard to do lawn mowing. On top of that, there could be light posts, street signs, fire hydrant on the front lawn.

Thus, by excluding all those negative things mentioned above, there could be only 1% of the good corner lots left. Corner lot home owners can enjoy wider lot, more space for landscaping design, more privacy with one less immediate neighbour, etc.

What do you guys think ? What is the best corner lot landscaping design you have seen ? We can share photos on this thread :)
82 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1165 posts
1048 upvotes
ON
I’m next to a corner lot. With the amount of grass mowing and maintenance my neighbour does, thank you but no.

Maybe once I’m retired and need to keep myself busy, I might consider a corner lot. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes

OTOH, the advantage is you only have to deal with one neighbour! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9127 posts
798 upvotes
Holystone wrote: I’m next to a corner lot. With the amount of grass mowing and maintenance my neighbour does, thank you but no.

Maybe once I’m retired and need to keep myself busy, I might consider a corner lot. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes

OTOH, the advantage is you only have to deal with one neighbour! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Yes, for those corner lot owners who do not do any landscaping but just the plain lawn. Then, yes, they only have more lawn to mow, and not able to make good use of a corner lot. Face With Tears Of Joy Without proper landscaping design, the frontage of a corner lot can look very nice.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17811 posts
15258 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
A good corner lot (extra wide & extra deep) on an extremely quiet street can be awesome

The quiet street part is essential … cuz the last thing you want is the issues with people cutting across your lawn to get somewhere (like a bus stop or a community mailbox … both of which are almost always close to a corner). Or people loving all that grass frontage to stop & let their dogs do their biz.

Lots of RFD threads complaining about those aspects

And utilities … often corner lots is where you’ll see not only a bus stop, community mailbox, but also hydro boxes, telecom & cable boxes, or a street light.

Personally it’s hard to find a GREAT Corner lot … so I think the best lots are those on cul de sacs or curves … big pie shaped lots. Somewhat narrow in the front … but tons of space out back. Best when they are in the middle of a community, vs on the parameters where they often back onto major streets, roads, or highways (those latter ones … too noisy for my liking )
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9127 posts
798 upvotes
Yes, no sidewalk and on quiet streets are the must have requirements if anyone wants a corner lot.

Community mailbox is ok, they are usually located outside the fences of the backyard between two houses, which is far from either houses. But agree, it is very hard to find a quiet corner lot on a flat grading front lawn without sidewalk, hydro boxes, street lights, and street signs, etc.

PointsHubby wrote: A good corner lot (extra wide & extra deep) on an extremely quiet street can be awesome

The quiet street part is essential … cuz the last thing you want is the issues with people cutting across your lawn to get somewhere (like a bus stop or a community mailbox … both of which are almost always close to a corner). Or people loving all that grass frontage to stop & let their dogs do their biz.

Lots of RFD threads complaining about those aspects

And utilities … often corner lots is where you’ll see not only a bus stop, community mailbox, but also hydro boxes, telecom & cable boxes, or a street light.

Personally it’s hard to find a GREAT Corner lot … so I think the best lots are those on cul de sacs or curves … big pie shaped lots. Somewhat narrow in the front … but tons of space out back. Best when they are in the middle of a community, vs on the parameters where they often back onto major streets, roads, or highways (those latter ones … too noisy for my liking )
Dec 26, 2012
344 posts
287 upvotes
Hamilton
maybe i'm crazy but i'd like a fire hydrant on my lot.

i'm in hamilton, the corner lots here look nice but in my area, none of them have backyards as the lot sizes are small. it seems like they're all House, front yard, side yard, and that's it.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1815 posts
864 upvotes
Etobicoke
I have a corner lot on a quiet street. I have culverts in front of my sidewalks and joke that 60% of what I mow isn't even mine. Need a fence or a big hedge (like I have) for privacy. On the plus side, I am not crowded by houses so my house looks like it is just there all by itself.
I wouldn't buy one ever again but then again in the right area for the right price...
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9127 posts
798 upvotes
sherman51 wrote: I have a corner lot on a quiet street. I have culverts in front of my sidewalks and joke that 60% of what I mow isn't even mine. Need a fence or a big hedge (like I have) for privacy. On the plus side, I am not crowded by houses so my house looks like it is just there all by itself.
I wouldn't buy one ever again but then again in the right area for the right price...
A culvert ? I don't think that is a typical thing that a corner lot/any lot would have .....
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1849 posts
936 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Outside corners have a lot of problems, not least privacy issues as the back yard is small relative to the “front”.

Inside corners (pie lots) are much better. We have one and the privacy and extra space we have is the main reason we bought it.

Also, in places where you have to shovel the sidewalk you have far less to do, compared to the outside corners where you generally have two paths.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9127 posts
798 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: Also, in places where you have to shovel the sidewalk you have far less to do, compared to the outside corners where you generally have two paths.

First criteria for any lot, NO SIDEWALK Winking Face

By the way, I think most people would not classify what you explain (inside corners) as a corner lot. Face With Tears Of Joy
Last edited by rdx on Sep 14th, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8429 posts
3009 upvotes
Maple
rdx wrote: I heard some people said they would avoid buying corner lot detached house. I think it is just a general statement because a good corner lot is very hard to find. Just to look for corner lots without sidewalk and not on a busy intersection would already eliminate 90%+ of the corner lots. And I notice many corner lots have bad front yard grading e.g. deep slope outward/even toward the house/slope sideway toward the backyard, that makes the front yard not useable and hard to do lawn mowing. On top of that, there could be light posts, street signs, fire hydrant on the front lawn.

Thus, by excluding all those negative things mentioned above, there could be only 1% of the good corner lots left. Corner lot home owners can enjoy wider lot, more space for landscaping design, more privacy with one less immediate neighbour, etc.

What do you guys think ? What is the best corner lot landscaping design you have seen ? We can share photos on this thread :)
It will cost high to find one. It will be premium. I rather get cul-de-sac.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17811 posts
15258 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Cowboy905 wrote: maybe i'm crazy but i'd like a fire hydrant on my lot.

i'm in hamilton, the corner lots here look nice but in my area, none of them have backyards as the lot sizes are small. it seems like they're all House, front yard, side yard, and that's it.
Ya a fire hydrant would be an ok exception to the many other utility stuff
Def good for fire insurance
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9127 posts
798 upvotes
teoconca wrote: It will cost high to find one. It will be premium. I rather get cul-de-sac.
There is probably premium for cul-de-sac as well (it is bad Feng Shui though for those who cares Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes)

Anyway, this thread is about a good corner, but not to compare corner lot with other type of lot ;)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9127 posts
798 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Ya a fire hydrant would be an ok exception to the many other utility stuff
Good if it gets lower home insurance. But most Asian would not want it as it looks like a cross on the lawn Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17811 posts
15258 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
rdx wrote: First criteria, NO SIDEWALK Winking Face

By the way, I think most people would not classify what you explain (inside corners) as a corner lot. Face With Tears Of Joy
Ya those are what I call curve lots.
Not on a physical corner (4 way stop = 4 corner lots … or 3 way stop = 2 corner lots)
Curve lots are awesome
Inside curves = small front yard big back yard (pie lot)
Outside curves … distribution of how the lot is front to back differs by development / city / builder
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8429 posts
3009 upvotes
Maple
PointsHubby wrote: Ya a fire hydrant would be an ok exception to the many other utility stuff
and no parking!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1849 posts
936 upvotes
Calgary, AB
rdx wrote: First criteria, NO SIDEWALK Winking Face

I only posted as at least one other person in this thread did. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9127 posts
798 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Outside curves … distribution of how the lot is front to back differs by development / city / builder
Yes, the size and shape of front and back yards for a corner lot varies even for two houses with exact same floor plan.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1666 upvotes
Clarington, ON
300m is the general rule for insurance. Doesnt matter if it's 295m away or on your front lawn for insurance. Would be more concerned with flow rate (generally indicated by coloured caps or coloured rings at ports) You want it a couple doors up really. Front lawn is a gong show of large diameter hose if a crew grabs it and most first in pumps probably would grab a hydrant further up the street anyways..
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4690 posts
1199 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I am on an inside corner lot on a crescent. It is pie shaped, front is smaller than the back. No sidewalks. Very hard to find, but fortunately didn't pay too much of a premium (back in the day).

Only gripe I have is that the snow windrows are crazy. I get easily twice the amount as any of my neighbours.

I agree, outside corner lots are much worse than inside corner lots.