Computers & Electronics

Is this a good deal for a samsung 9.7inch tablet?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2016 12:18 pm
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2629 posts
1591 upvotes
Calgary
THAT'S about what this thing should have cost when it was released last year. Outside of the S Pen, it's fairly slow and the 1024x768 screen resolution is absolutely pathetic on a 9.7" screen.

Heck, I'd say spend a bit more and get the LG G Pad III from Rogers or Fido. It would probably perform about the same and the screen is better. Unless the S Pen is absolutely critiical, stay away from this one.

... Yes, I realise the LG I mentioned is only an 8" display but my recommendation still stands.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14356 posts
3600 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Agreed. That resolution is garbage for a 10". Personally, I prefer some kind of widescreen over 4:3. Some will claim that 4:3 is better for reading, but it's really personal preference, Lettersize and pocketbooks are not 4:3.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1115 posts
370 upvotes
Thabks for the replies so far. I don't really understand the screen resolution stuff, does this mean viewing of watching movies and apps will be odd?
I was more wondering is the device powerful and sufficient for normal non work stuff i.e. games, movies, apps etc? I didn't really want a 7 or 8 inch and these seems to have a good battery too. The reviews (assuming it's the same model) on amazon seem very positive https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-T ... B00WOZNZY2
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36342 posts
9606 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I agree with Devhux, you're better off with the LG GPad III

Screen resolution defines how many pixels are on the tablet. If you're holding the tablet in portrait mode, the Samsung has 1024 pixels (dots) from the top of the screen to the bottom and 768 pixels from left to right.

What does this mean. Your tablet can support 720p video. It will still play 1080p, but I'm not sure if it will cut off part of the video or zoom into the centre.

The LG GPad III is 1920 x 1200 which is higher than most monitors. It is a decent tablet, the only draw back is the 2 Gigs of RAM. There is nothing wrong with an 8" tablet unless you're a little older and need bifocals.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1115 posts
370 upvotes
Thanks guys. I guess I will see what it's like when it comes and make my decision then. There's just so many tablets out there and I want to make sure this is powerful enough as I've had sluggish ones before.