None
[OP]
Sep 10, 2004
5 posts
Richmond, BC

Good Deals for Lunch?

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post. :D
Just wondering if anyone knew of any good deals for lunch in downtown Vancouver?
That is, besides the usual fast food places like McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's.
I don't like Subway food, and Quizno's is a bit expensive IMO.
I'm also boycotting Tim Horton's because they wouldn't let me get any of those nice Remembrance Day quarters without making a purchase first. :cry:

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.
12 replies
Nov 19, 2004
34 posts
Vancouver BC,Canada
Woo me @ vancouver too
someone please post coupons im hungry rofl!
-Benriya- Comunity Forum Admin
-Benriya- Guild Leader
-Benriya- Channel Owner

irc.deltaanime.net #benriya
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2001
1020 posts
58 upvotes
I guess a good deal is around $5 to $7? It depends on where you like to eat but in general, many Japanese restaurants have some sort of 'lunch box' or 'roll deal' that you can get in the $5 to $7 range.

How about some cheap pizza? 99 cents to a $1.50 usually at those hole in the wall shops. They also sell donairs for around $3 or $4.

There's a 7/11 downtown on the corner of Dunsmir and Seymore....you can try that.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2004
5 posts
Richmond, BC
Thanks a lot for the feedback adwoodw.
After a week, I was hoping for a few more replies. :cry:
7-11? I prefer to eat "fresh" food for lunch. :D
I did try one of those pizza-by-the-slice places on Smithe between Granville & Seymour. Only cost a dollar, but what happened to the cheese?
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
Since you're in Hongcouver I'm sure you should have those asian food courts around. Lunch specials for like $3.99 with a drink etc... we've got them all over here in T. Dot.
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2003
1888 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
pack a lunch. you'll save lots, otherwise it's the same old fast food that's gonna be cheap..
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2001
1020 posts
58 upvotes
Degenerate wrote:Since you're in Hongcouver I'm sure you should have those asian food courts around. Lunch specials for like $3.99 with a drink etc... we've got them all over here in T. Dot.

They do have these 'asian food courts' around but they are mostly in Richmond, a suburb of the GVRD. I've yet to see one downtown though. They do have alot of sushi places, hole in the wall pizza and donair joints, and a Starbucks at every corner.

Best bet for a cheap lunch is to bring it from home.

There is a T & T in Chinatown with take out but that may be a bit far away depending on where you work downtown.

On Denmen, there's a Mongolian BBQ place thats about a block south from Georgia and I believe it is $6 for a one time seving at their buffet bar. The lunch may also come with soup and bread as well.

Across the street and closer to Robson there's Kintaro, a Japanese ramen noodle house. It can get really hot in there though since they have such poor ventillation and the fact that they have an open kitchen. All the noodles are hand made and you get to have it in your choice of 4 or 5 broths. It also includes rice for free. The average meal will set you back about $6 or so.
Feb 25, 2003
217 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver
My favorite 'cheap' joint downtown is The Fresgo Inn on Davie. Nothing fancy, but no fuss, and good food cooked to order. Also, there's a coupon in the <a href=../autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=95 target=_blank>Entertainment book</a>, so you can take a friend.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4537 posts
563 upvotes
MCDONALDS! so you can get the McGurggles...
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2690 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Hello Kitty wrote:I'm also boycotting Tim Horton's because they wouldn't let me get any of those nice Remembrance Day quarters without making a purchase first. :cry:
I saw some high ranking position women who works for Tim Horton's on the news and she said that you could exchange regular quarters for the RD quarters...
Dec 17, 2004
227 posts
43 upvotes
Vancouver
There's 3 places across the street from Granville skytrain station on Seymour St. that aren't too shabby from what my co-workers tell me... one is a sushi place, one is Vietnamese (Vina), and the other is some Korean sub place. Vina isn't bad, but not exactly filling for the $7 you pay for meal + drink. That, and the MSG can be a turn off. The sushi place is pretty tasty, and cheap too...$5 for a box.

If you feel like Shwarma, there are a couple of places along Robson.

Megawraps is across the street from the library on Robson, but since you don't like Subway food you might not like it.

If you go to the food fair in VC, there's some chinese food and/or pasta there that looks pretty decent as well. There's this cafe across the street from the 7-11 on Seymour/Dunsmuir that is pretty decent too, decent sized portions, but it can get costly for a meal (~$10).

I'm still searching for a decent soup shop downtown, around Seymour and Robson as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2001
2189 posts
140 upvotes
Vancouver
Crepes: La Vieille France, across from library, $4-5.50
Fries: Fritz, Davie @ Granville, $3.50-5.50
Philly Sandwiches: Sammy's, Robson near Denman, $4 small $6 large
Pizza: Pizza Hut (11-4 Mon-Wed.) $2.49 personal size
Tacos: Tacotime, Pacific Centre and Granville @ Smithe, 99 cents Tuesdays

Otherwise I try to use a coupon or take advantage of a special I see impromptu.
Banned
Jun 22, 2004
293 posts
vietnam/toronto
bluetroll wrote:MCDONALDS! so you can get the McGurggles...
Mcodnlad is very good deal. I challenge you to make a meal for 3.99 that fills you up.