Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17214 posts
2172 upvotes
Out west

Good doorway multi-gym

So I saw this at Canadian Tire and wanted to try it

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/perf ... 7811p.html

But after setting it up, I dont like the fact that not only are you not really attaching it to anything, that you as well are just using the door molding to hold it up. There is no real hanging bracket. it jsut seem that friction and the door molding is holding it in place.

Are there some of these that have actual brackets you can install in wood and hang it from there? All this has is some sort of Z shaped safety clip that I dont see what it actually does

Im not a heavy guy, but the use of this on MDF molding isnt making me feel good as something being ripped down while this is in use.

I used to have one that has metal brackets you installed on the inside onto studs, but I cant seem to find that kind anymore
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43444 posts
6696 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
WikkiWikki wrote: So I saw this at Canadian Tire and wanted to try it

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/perf ... 7811p.html

But after setting it up, I dont like the fact that not only are you not really attaching it to anything, that you as well are just using the door molding to hold it up. There is no real hanging bracket. it jsut seem that friction and the door molding is holding it in place.

Are there some of these that have actual brackets you can install in wood and hang it from there? All this has is some sort of Z shaped safety clip that I dont see what it actually does

Im not a heavy guy, but the use of this on MDF molding isnt making me feel good as something being ripped down while this is in use.

I used to have one that has metal brackets you installed on the inside onto studs, but I cant seem to find that kind anymore
It looks freaky. But the way its designed, the weight is mostly pushed against the door frAme side pArt horizontally.

You arent really hanging off that tiny little top ledge. It will break instantly if thats the case. But it isnt.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17214 posts
2172 upvotes
Out west
UrbanPoet wrote: It looks freaky. But the way its designed, the weight is mostly pushed against the door frAme side pArt horizontally.

You arent really hanging off that tiny little top ledge. It will break instantly if thats the case. But it isnt.
Maybe its just be not understanding the physic behind it I guess. I watched videos online of it being installed and used, and the little safety clip just holds that outside part above the MDF trim, but its not using that to hold the gym up. Otehrwise like you said that would jujst come down the frist time you used it

My problem all my doorways have really wide decorative trim at the top of everydoor I can use it on. And all my doors go in, and not out. Any closet that has an outswing door I cant use.

I might try my furnace room, there is no inside trim for the clip to attach to, but the door header is exposed, so if I add a 1x4 on it for the clip, I think Ill be able to use it, and then stay away from any trim.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43444 posts
6696 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
WikkiWikki wrote: Maybe its just be not understanding the physic behind it I guess. I watched videos online of it being installed and used, and the little safety clip just holds that outside part above the MDF trim, but its not using that to hold the gym up. Otehrwise like you said that would jujst come down the frist time you used it

My problem all my doorways have really wide decorative trim at the top of everydoor I can use it on. And all my doors go in, and not out. Any closet that has an outswing door I cant use.

I might try my furnace room, there is no inside trim for the clip to attach to, but the door header is exposed, so if I add a 1x4 on it for the clip, I think Ill be able to use it, and then stay away from any trim.
Yah physics. It seems freaky but isnt.
Mouldings and decors on doors really screw with these types.

Try this if you dont mind drilling holes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Exercise-Installa ... 3507&psc=1

I had straight bar aside from wide grip... so i loop gymnastic rings through it. Which is great!!! Gymnastic rings take your pull up game to a whole other level. Because you have to use your core and more stabilizer muscles.
Its crazy i’m this fat guy. But i’m banging out sets of 20 wide grip pull ups whenever i get to use a solidified pull up station (like park monkey bars). Side to sides, around the worlds no problem. Just trying to work on a solid 5 second planche.
Ok not fat. But i’m dad bod. No 6 pack here. Underdog/sleeper fitness is what i call it. Its funny when all these ripped dudes can’t even do 10 pull ups hehehe.

Pull ups changed my life.
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Sep 15th, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2960 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: Looks goof, but not for me. I dont want something left on the doorway to see when Im done.
In your OP you mentioned installing something onto studs, seems like it would be the same thing, you have to drill into something to secure.

Fitness avenue sells bars you can mount onto floor joists, if you have exposed ceiling. https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/amstaff-df ... hin-up-bar
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17214 posts
2172 upvotes
Out west
trane0 wrote: In your OP you mentioned installing something onto studs, seems like it would be the same thing, you have to drill into something to secure.

Fitness avenue sells bars you can mount onto floor joists, if you have exposed ceiling. https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/amstaff-df ... hin-up-bar
The studs at my old place was in my garage in an area that was unfinished and had the option to just leave the gym up all the time.

If I could find the original kind I had Id be able to install the brackets it hangs from, but they dont seem to make it anymore. This one theres nothing that actually mounts into anything, except some safety clip that doesnt seem to safe to me

My main worry was installing it, trying it, and then stuff ripping down that I would need to repair

I might look into the kind you listed, as I have access in my furnace room. It would be high enough to be out of the way and just leave it up all the time. That way you can just do random pullups when you walk by. I liked that about my old one, just do random 10 pullups, then walk away
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17214 posts
2172 upvotes
Out west
UrbanPoet wrote: Yah physics. It seems freaky but isnt.

I had straight bar aside from wide grip... so i loop gymnastic rings through it. Which is great!!! Gymnastic rings take your pull up game to a whole other level. Because you have to use your core and more stabilizer muscles.
Its crazy i’m this fat guy. But i’m banging out sets of 20 wide grip pull ups whenever i get to use a solidified pull up station (like park monkey bars). Side to sides, around the worlds no problem. Just trying to work on a solid 5 second planche.
Ok not fat. But i’m dad bod. No 6 pack here. Underdog/sleeper fitness is what i call it. Its funny when all these ripped dudes can’t even do 10 pull ups hehehe.

I will admit I miss my pull ups. Been almost 2 years now since I had one. But the drilling as it shows will be a no go, as any door way will not be approved by the wife, as in, the mounts left.

I think the joist one will be what will work, out of site, and in a room where it doesnt matter

I think Ill return the one I have. Just because the taking it down and putting it up. Have to store it somewhere, and I will never use the other excercises for it on the floor

And I dont really feel safe even with their "safety clip" I have a feeling one mis setup with this and probably hurt myself, and wreck something

This one on Amazon is $91

https://www.amazon.ca/Joist-Mount-Ultim ... B003TYCVKG
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8162 posts
2852 upvotes
Mississauga
UrbanPoet wrote: Yah physics. It seems freaky but isnt.

Oh man, a tension based pull up bar. That's just potentially asking for trouble. If someone installs it slightly off centre or does not or is unable to put enough tension on the "install" between the door frames, it is not going to be able to hold up the designed capacity, which could be quite dangerous depending on how much the user weighs.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43444 posts
6696 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
kenchau wrote: Oh man, a tension based pull up bar. That's just potentially asking for trouble. If someone installs it slightly off centre or does not or is unable to put enough tension on the "install" between the door frames, it is not going to be able to hold up the designed capacity, which could be quite dangerous depending on how much the user weighs.
Tension based?

Theres these little cups on the end that you bolt into the door frAme.
Then you twist and lock the bar in. It feels really solid & the metal holding cups feel sturdy.

Thats still tension based?

Edit : oh! That linked one is tension based with no screws.
The one i have needs to be screwed in.
Yah tension based is scary .
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8162 posts
2852 upvotes
Mississauga
UrbanPoet wrote: Tension based?

Theres these little cups on the end that you bolt into the door frAme.
Then you twist and lock the bar in. It feels really solid & the metal holding cups feel sturdy.

Thats still tension based?

Edit : oh! That linked one is tension based with no screws.
The one i have needs to be screwed in.
Yah tension based is scary .
Haha, yeah, the linked one said, no screw installation. My first thought is sometimes tension based shower rods don't even stay up, and they are merely holding up a shower curtain. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17214 posts
2172 upvotes
Out west
Has anyone used this style. Looking in my furnace room I dont have the usual joists going across in there to attach the joist hanging kind. I have open web joists instead, and theres not much I can do to hang them

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L2Z4XZQ/ref ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

This one though I can install into a door header/load bearing beam under my stairs, at least I think I can.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17214 posts
2172 upvotes
Out west
Finally got this and havent installed it yet, but it will fit. I put it together and held it up to the area and it fits just right.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07L2Z ... UTF8&psc=1

I have another on order, but the main cross bar is in 2 pieces, while the one above is just one long bar. I think it will be more sturdy

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08GGC ... UTF8&psc=1

It can mount under my stairs on a door header, so I can leave it set up, do random pullups when Im in the mood, and it wont affect anyone since its high enough to not be a bother. It might be a little high, but not to bad. And it wont take up any room like the door way one I bought, that would need to be stored when not in use

Thanks for the help everyone