• Dec 15th, 2012 11:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1356 posts
599 upvotes
Brandon

Good headsets that actually offer surround sound for both PS3 AND PC

I am looking into buying a new headset for both gaming and movies. I want surround sound headset for both gaming and movies. But I want for BOTH my laptop (a Samsung np355v4c-s01a) and PS3 (Pulse headset virtual surround for games only on PS3 only, not PC). I have a laptop that has no optical out so figure have to get a USB surround sound card. I have been thinking of getting something like the Tritton AX Pro with true 5.1 surround sound or if have go virtual get the Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Omega Wireless Gaming Headset which has virtual surround sound options for PC. Id rather SOny make a new Pulse headset with true 7.1 surround and offer for both PS3 AND PC...Oh well one can dream... So does anyone have any suggestions?
11 replies
Aug 21, 2012
338 posts
49 upvotes
Scarborough
The surround sound is a gimmick. Its just distorted sound to try to mimmick surround. You can only get 2.0. You should look for for headphones with a large sound stage and accurate sound positioning. There are methods and devices thatll connect headphones to the ps3
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4495 posts
981 upvotes
London
There are some headphones that actually have multiple drivers inside...forget virtual surround sound though. That's just garbage. You'll likely need to get a USB headset for a laptop. It is true that if you actually want audiophile quality you won't find that with surround sound. Plain old 2.0 stereo is the best...we only have two ears anyway, our brain does the rest.
Dec 3, 2012
563 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you intend to only game and need the mic, get any 7.1 headset. The Logitech G35 will do just fine.

If you want to listen to music or care about audio quality, aim for a mid-to-high-end open set of headphones; they generally provide a better soundstage. Higher end open Senns, Beyerdynamic DT880/990s, AKG K701s are all amazing and will give you both amazing music-listening and gaming experience. The downside is that they don't have a built-in mic. What you decide should reflect what you intend to do with the headphones. If you don't need to listen to music and thus don't care about the quality, just get any odd 7.1 headset. Keep in mind that you only have 2 ears though, and proficient regular headphones will reproduce the sound much better than any 7.1 headset in the market now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1356 posts
599 upvotes
Brandon
I'm not hardcore audiophile for music, but want surround sound for movies (blurays) and games (laptop and ps3). Plus I'm on a budget and can't be extravagant. Wish the Logitech G35 would work on the ps3 :( . Well I'm not going to be too picky then. I was looking at these http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW anyone had an experience with the Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Omega headset? Or just go with Sony Wireless Pulse headset (wish they had usb sound card so can have surround sound for my laptop)...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
I have the Tactic3D Sigma, they're fantastic. I'd get those over the Omega's, wireless is just asking for problems (with all headsets). But if you're ok with that they're worth every penny.
RFD's Resident Ol' School Rap Guru
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

*VESTAX* PMC-05PROIII Battle Mixer for sale!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1356 posts
599 upvotes
Brandon
MkmBandit wrote: I have the Tactic3D Sigma, they're fantastic. I'd get those over the Omega's, wireless is just asking for problems (with all headsets). But if you're ok with that they're worth every penny.
Only problem is Tactic3d sigma doesnt work well with ps3. Seems most gaming headsets don't work well with the PS3
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
i got the astro a40's they work excellent with any setup.
dboyman5 wrote: Only problem is Tactic3d sigma doesnt work well with ps3. Seems most gaming headsets don't work well with the PS3
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1356 posts
599 upvotes
Brandon
I'm thinking going that way as well...
Aug 21, 2012
338 posts
49 upvotes
Scarborough
Audio technica ad700 + a clipon mic. For ps3 use, look for an Astro mixamp. Forget the headset trash and get legit products.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1356 posts
599 upvotes
Brandon
Recently went to get the a40s but some unexpected bad news in form of repair work at home was required so settled for pulse headset for now, till can save money for better. Mind you at had some credit at ebgames plus traded old Sony stereo headset so only paid $70...
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
there is only a few true surround sound headsets in the market really.

cmstorm sirus
psyko
tritton
sharkoon X-Tatic Digital
razer tiamat
astrogaming a40
astrogaming a50

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)