• May 6th, 2019 6:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4871 posts
1495 upvotes

Good hotel or AirBnB in Tokyo

Accommodations in Tokyo is expensive.

Looking to maybe visit Tokyo in June for 3-5 days.

I remember somebody posting a decent hotel last year but I don't remember the name of the hotel or the poster.

Other than a short 12 hr overnight stopover where I did book a guest house room near Haneda, it will be my first time in Tokyo.
13 replies
Oct 17, 2010
640 posts
298 upvotes
Terrace
For me, I have a family with 3 young kids airbnb is a no brainer. No hotels will give me 2 bedroom with a private kitchen. However if i'm just travelling with my wife hotel would be good.

So I guess it depends what you wanna do, who are you going with and where in Tokyo.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4684 posts
3747 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: Accommodations in Tokyo is expensive.

Looking to maybe visit Tokyo in June for 3-5 days.

I remember somebody posting a decent hotel last year but I don't remember the name of the hotel or the poster.

Other than a short 12 hr overnight stopover where I did book a guest house room near Haneda, it will be my first time in Tokyo.
Tokyo is huge, accomodation I would say can be cheap and plentiful . Depends on area, Shinjuku is going to be expensive, Ginza can be good value. shinagawa and many others will be very decently price

So where do you want to stay?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4871 posts
1495 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Tokyo is huge, accomodation I would say can be cheap and plentiful . Depends on area, Shinjuku is going to be expensive, Ginza can be good value. shinagawa and many others will be very decently price

So where do you want to stay?
I am fairly flexible where I want to stay as long as public transport is good which I believe it is within greater Tokyo.

Shinagawa is where I stayed in a guest house last year. I flew into Haneda so Shinagawa was convenient. Very small private room and bathroom/shower is shared. I paid about $42 Cdn. Think I only got about 2-3 hrs of sleep though it had nothing to do with the room/bed. Would like a private room and its own bathroom so no capsule hotel or guest house this time around. I remember being very surprised when this RFD poster mentioned last year about the hotel he just booked.

This time around I will likely fly into Narita.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4684 posts
3747 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: I am fairly flexible where I want to stay as long as public transport is good which I believe it is within greater Tokyo.

Shinagawa is where I stayed in a guest house last year. I flew into Haneda so Shinagawa was convenient. Very small private room and bathroom/shower is shared. I paid about $42 Cdn. Think I only got about 2-3 hrs of sleep though it had nothing to do with the room/bed. Would like a private room and its own bathroom so no capsule hotel or guest house this time around. I remember being very surprised when this RFD poster mentioned last year about the hotel he just booked.

This time around I will likely fly into Narita.

A couple of hotels close to main stations and reasonably priced are the ones below off top of my head. I generally prefer to fly into Haneda as it's closer and I like taking airport limousine bus over trains/subway as I have a checked luggage and roll on cabin luggage usually so it's easier to not have to navigate crowds and stairs in subway

HOTEL INTERGATE TOKYO KYOBASHI - close to Tokyo station and right beside takaracho station which the keiyu airport line stops at

Citadines central Shinjuku - 10 min walk to main Shinjuku station or cheap cab ride from main Shinjuku station after taking airport limobus

Also the Tokyu chains are pretty cheap and not too far away
Jan 19, 2006
484 posts
282 upvotes
BC
Enjoyed our stay at Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo (not central).

Has anyone found good places to eat that were quick and easy? We were always on the go and just ate mostly out of 7-Eleven.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1211 posts
657 upvotes
Toronto
The hotels in Akasaka are reasonable. The likes of the Centurion chain are very well located, with easy transit access and lots of fabulous restaurants around.
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
376 upvotes
OTTAWA
you have not stated your needs. Do you have a family? Are you traveling with friends? Do you require to be in 1 room or can you be split up?

Accommodations for individuals can be very cheap in tokyo if all you need is a secure room for luggage, a bed and a private bathroom. As low as 80$ a night for a business traveler hotel. If you are savvy with the transit system. If you want the hilton with western style room with 2 queen beds and basically a room larger than your average apartment in tokyo, it will get expensive quick.

If option A is what you need, then any japanese chain hotel will work reliably, apa, dormy, toyoko, hearton, smile. There are plenty of independents as well that will also be of similar service. If you are terrified of the transit system or getting lost once you leave the station area, then book a hotel around the major stations but you'll be paying more.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1962 posts
853 upvotes
HK
I’ve stayed in Ginza and Shinjuku and highly recommend Shinjuku if it is your first time. It’s a great base to explore from.

If you need the room, Park Hyatt is generous even with their base rooms.

You’ll find plenty if eating option in Shinjuku, look into the izakaya alley. Don’t eat dinner at 7-11, you’d be missing out.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4937 posts
538 upvotes
Victoria
A ryokan can be pretty inexpensive. Something like kimi ryokan maybe.
Not a political sig