Automotive

Is it a good idea to buy Gasoline cars from now on with California already declared banning their sales from 2035?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2022 2:14 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1321 posts
854 upvotes

Is it a good idea to buy Gasoline cars from now on with California already declared banning their sales from 2035?

Out of curiosity, opening this discussion as myself waiting for a $80k vehicle now and not sure if I should go ahead or just looking for some thoughts from others.
88 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2022
1118 posts
1660 upvotes
Gta
I drive a fair bit. I could hit 400K in 10-12 years. In my case, I generally wouldn’t have an issue as by that time I’d be ready to scrap it likely.

Depends how long you intend to keep it and what your method of changing vehicles is - sale, scrap, trade etc.
<censored>
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19737 posts
28628 upvotes
Vancouver
BC announced the same thing as California more than a year ago, but starting in 2040. No more sales of new gasoline cars after that point. But neither jurisdiction is banning ALL gasoline cars from its roads. People will be are free to buy and sell used gasoline cars, as well as bring them in from out of state. It's not like a switch will flip and gasoline cars will immediately disappear. So not to worry.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yup gas stations will still be around. The real switchover will be once all the gas cars have died. So if the last gas car is sold in 2040, it's going to run for the next 10-15 years.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4777 upvotes
Ontario
The key impact of such announcement is OEMs stopping spending on R&D for ICE and putting every dollar into BEV development.

If a gas car best suits your needs and budget at the current time then buy one.

I still see plenty of new gas stations being built. I can think of at least 4 in my immediate area. Their business case must project gas demand for the next 20 years at least.
Jul 19, 2022
921 posts
1265 upvotes
Yes, if a gasoline engine fits your life, it is a good idea. Now or in 2035.

Old man Whitfield
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1321 posts
854 upvotes
To me personally, I had to choose Gasoline as same 7 seater SUVs are expensive in EV I thought? Of course i am not considering the factors such as saving Gas in long-run, etc.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Is it a good idea to invest in an abortion clinic now that they might be banned or soon banned, in various states?

Do you live in California? No? Then what the heck are you thinking about?

That said I would not buy an $80k+ new gasoline vehicle anyway. If you're spending that much money, buy an electric. This has nothing to do with what the laws, local customs, culinary tastes, etc. are in California.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13103 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: To me personally, I had to choose Gasoline as same 7 seater SUVs are expensive in EV I thought? Of course i am not considering the factors such as saving Gas in long-run, etc.
Keep driving. It's too far away to worry about it. It's only 2023, 12 years from now you $80K ICE car probably won't worth much anyway.

Nobody can predict the future any more. Just look that the heat wave that's hitting China right now. All EV chargers have been turned off as power grid failed under extreme temp. Mining and supply chain are still not improving or progressing as expected to make EV affordable. If anything, BEV make even less financial sense now gas price has retreated but but cost of EV and electricity price keep on inflating (especially where gas generation is in the mix).

So I think we will keep electrifying and this 2035/2040 goal post will be moved either to later or to include hybrid/PHEV which is what the industry is doing anyway.

I still think PHEV is the sweet spot given our current situation unless a new battery chemistry that can triple to quadruple our production overnight. Nickle is going to be locked away in Russia for the long run so Nickle based battery will not be cheap in the next decade or so.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
My own future will have space for an ICE vehicle and an EV. I do not see a future where I will not own an ICE vehicle but I do see a very near future when most of my kilometres will be driving an EV and the ICE vehicle will be for specific circumstances.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
6065 posts
2507 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: Out of curiosity, opening this discussion as myself waiting for a $80k vehicle now and not sure if I should go ahead or just looking for some thoughts from others.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, California will be struggling to keep its lights on long before 2035, let alone worry about cars.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10277 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
I drive 70,000km per year in an EV and do 99% of my charging at home. It easily fits my use case.

I wouldn't be spending $80k on a gas vehicle in 2022, just get an EV if you're going to drop that much money.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Aug 26th, 2022 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: BC announced the same thing as California more than a year ago, but starting in 2040. No more sales of new gasoline cars after that point. But neither jurisdiction is banning ALL gasoline cars from its roads. People will be are free to buy and sell used gasoline cars, as well as bring them in from out of state. It's not like a switch will flip and gasoline cars will immediately disappear. So not to worry.
Canada To Ban The Sale Of New Gas And Diesel Cars And Light Trucks From 2035

Starting 2035, Quebec Will Ban Sale Of New Gasoline-Powered Cars
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
Get what you feel like, gas will be around for many decades to come...
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
3024 posts
1538 upvotes
Burnaby
Depends on what you are buying. If its a Bronco, Wrangler, used Raptor, TRX because you are off-roading there isn't an EV for you. If its a muscle car then well just buy the muscle car because they might not be around much longer and will likely be collectors.

7 seater buy what fits your needs. Are you towing?
Last edited by amplified on Aug 27th, 2022 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32150 posts
15430 upvotes
Socially Distanced
My next car is planned to be an EV becasue its far superior and the charging issue is not going to ruin me, its a slight behaviour change.

Considering the incredibly low cost of fuelling an EV i prefer to have more money in my pocket. Pay more upfront (at the moment), reap the dividends for the life of the car.
Bear in mind that an EV will cost about 1/4 or less what you are spending on gas today. It would have been even less this past summer.

In the coming years more segments will be filled with EVs as more models are coming out and price party will be coming, where the EV will cost the same or less than an identical gasoline vehicle. At that point your spending more upfront for the gas car then spending 3-5x as much for fuel.
An incredibly stupid value proposition.
Last edited by Quentin5 on Aug 27th, 2022 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Nov 25, 2016
193 posts
170 upvotes
Don't know about us, but I can guarantee you Canada will not be ready by 2035. We need to build lots of nuclear plants, electricity grid, charging stations all over Canada. If you hVe lived here long enough you would know how slow we build our infrastructure, it is a joke compared to other countries. I won't buy EV until the technology is mature and the infrastructure is ready.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6345 upvotes
Winnipeg
Samuro wrote: Don't know about us, but I can guarantee you Canada will not be ready by 2035. We need to build lots of nuclear plants, electricity grid, charging stations all over Canada. If you hVe lived here long enough you would know how slow we build our infrastructure, it is a joke compared to other countries. I won't buy EV until the technology is mature and the infrastructure is ready.
Much will happen by 2035, I think you be surprised what people's attitudes will be by then.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Is it a good idea to invest in an abortion clinic now that they might be banned or soon banned, in various states?

Do you live in California? No? Then what the heck are you thinking about?

That said I would not buy an $80k+ new gasoline vehicle anyway. If you're spending that much money, buy an electric. This has nothing to do with what the laws, local customs, culinary tastes, etc. are in California.
What in the heck are you thinking about with that analogy?

Face With Tears Of Joy
Feb 13, 2021
846 posts
915 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: My next car is planned to be an EV becasue its far superior and the charging issue is not going to ruin me, its a slight behaviour change.

Considering the incredibly low cost of fuelling an EV i prefer to have more money in my pocket. Pay more upfront (at the moment), reap the dividends for the life of the car.
Bear in mind that an EV will cost about 1/4 or less what you are spending on gas today. It would have been even less this past summer.

In the coming years more segments will be filled with EVs as more models are coming out and price party will be coming, where the EV will cost the same or less than an identical gasoline vehicle. At that point your spending more upfront for the gas car then spending 3-5x as much for fuel.
An incredibly stupid value proposition.
🤣🤣

I wish you good luck.